Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant find anything on how to do this, I had some noisy valves. I was told by an old chevy mechanic that you turn each cyl to TDC and make sure there is no play in the rocker arms and if so tighten until gone and thats it.

I dont know if that sounds right.

any help?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hope this helps. Put #1 cyl TDC and adjust Ex 1,3,5 and In 1,2,4. Rotate crank 360 so #6 cyl is TDC and adjust Ex 2,4,6 and In 3,5,6. I have a mech. cam, so I adjust mine with a feeler gauge. I'm assuming your cam is Hyd. so I would adjust the valves by spinning the push rod with your fingers while you tighten the rocker nut until you can't spin it anymore, then turn the rocker nut another half turn. You should be good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks!

Few questions, Do i want TDC on 1 cyl on compression stroke? and how do i know which valve is exhaust and which is intake?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
My old manuals use to say to adjust it while it is running. It is a little messy, but pretty easy. Back the nut off until it clacks, then tighten it until it stops, then 3/4 more turn. If they are getting loose, you need to get new nuts. The are an oval nut.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes you want TDC on the compression stroke for #1 and #6. Here is the valve arrangement front to back: E I I E E I I E E I I E. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
My old manuals use to say to adjust it while it is running. It is a little messy, but pretty easy. Back the nut off until it clacks, then tighten it until it stops, then 3/4 more turn. If they are getting loose, you need to get new nuts. The are an oval nut.
This is the way I did mine :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet deal, I ended up figuring out the EX and IN valves because it seemed only right for the exhaust to line up with the exhast ports and so on and so on.

Thanks for the help! no clackety clackety!

·
Registered
594 Posts
i always adjust my valve with the engine running but just yesterday my friend wiped out two lobes on his cam he went a little to tight probally cause i think he is mostly deaf just wont admit it but now im kinda scared to adjust by ear?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts