Chevy Nova Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,854 Posts
................... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ................... very sharp & looking good . :cool: .

. . . jim

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
1st "break-in" day on the Dyno.
  • No major tuning
  • 34 degrees timing
  • 5 PSI boost
  • 92 octane pump gas
840 HP

Tomorrow:
  • More boost (6-8 PSI)
  • Carb & Ignition Tuning
  • Max it out on 92 octane
Next Steps:
  • Repeat exercise with even more boost and higher octane fuel to have a "race fuel" pulley setup. For when you really need to get serious.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
let me rephrase it...what E.T. are you hoping for?

for that matter, how quick is the car certified for?

nice setup.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
I'm not building it to be a race car. Its a pro street. The car isn't certified. It's not even finished yet.

If I was building a drag car to beat the crap out of every week it wouldn't have this engine.

It's gonna be one bad-ass street machine though.

If I make a separate set of straight side bars it should pass cert. for 8.50 and slower. Either that or I can at least get one blast down the track before being banned.

·
Premium Member
3,850 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
Here it was yesterday at Sperry Engines in Cedar Rapids, IA

5 PSI boost 840 HP @ 7,000 RPM

Scott says his dyno is setup on the conservative side and uses it more for tuning than show. He says he dynos engine guys have bought brand-new that are supposed to be 500 HP or whatever and they almost always come in less on his dyno.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm not building it to be a race car. Its a pro street. The car isn't certified. It's not even finished yet.

If I was building a drag car to beat the crap out of every week it wouldn't have this engine.

It's gonna be one bad-ass street machine though.

If I make a separate set of straight side bars it should pass cert. for 8.50 and slower. Either that or I can at least get one blast down the track before being banned.
ah, okay. read about the future "race fuel" tune and mistakenly assumed it would be an occasional track car.

8's would be pretty wild.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,854 Posts
Hi Jeff .................. very cool , indeed .

Plus , with all that work .................. I'd think u'r 'feeling good' . . . . right about now .
Thanks for the vid . . . . . (we all like POWER , racers - or not ) .

and , Have a good 2022 , :cool: .

. . . . MEW = 🍺 .

jim

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
I should have more video later. The engine idles at 900 RPM and is radical as all heck. Sounds awesome.

I wanted the rad idle but not the excessive "blower surge" which some guys like but I can't stand so I changed the cam to a slightly milder grind.

Still an Isky mechanical roller cam but now it also has the new Isky Ez-Roll™ Max Solid Bushing Roller Lifters. No needle bearings to fall into the engine but still retains the superior performance of a mechanical roller.

Machine Metal Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Auto part

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
that is pretty stout. would love to see that at the track.

what was the highest horsepower car you have driven to date?

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
This would be it.

They are going to play a little more and max it out for pump gas and that will be the "street" setup. As it stands now it's 942 ponies. Then tomorrow they will throw in some 110 octane race gas and swap the pulleys from underdriven to overdriven. That will be the "race" setup (for when I really get serious).

Sperry Engines in Cedar Rapids man!

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
Oh yes I'm liking it.

Can't wait to see it in the Nova.

I think I will modify the ME Wagner PCV valve housing to accept a flare fitting on it and run braided line. I don't want just a push-on rubber hose. It's definitely the ticket though for radical engines. No off-the-shelf PCV valve would work with my setup.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts