Chevy Nova Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hey Jeff ..........................................WOW........... WOW, and that's an "understatement" , for sure .

That Motor is just flat out "a thing of Great Beauty" . . . .

and, back to post : # 72 ............ when I did install my DF-17 . . . . . & now , I've installed an oil catch - can ,
onto my ol' 250 - 6 with my 'Wagner valve' .
I was looking on "Wagner's web-site" . . . and alot of their customer rides = showing engine pictures . . . .
. . . . have installed 'catch - cans ' . . . . . so, I thought . . . . . why not .
So far so good . . . and not too stupid looking, either (a really cheap unit from Amazon) .

and , 64PRONOVA . . . . I'm sending u a conversation . . . . I have another ?

again , beautiful engine , you have there .

later , jim
do you still have have a part number on that unit from Amazon, Jim? i think it looks pretty cool, actually.

thanks!

-Rusty

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,854 Posts
do you still have have a part number on that unit from Amazon, Jim? i think it looks pretty cool, actually.

thanks!

-Rusty
Why - - yes I do . I have the box out in the shop ; I will post it later (it's snowing here in
Chino Valley , right now) .

Here's what you get : with some cheap 'rubber hose' . I did use better hose .

and , here's my homemade brackets . . . . bolted onto my "exhaust manifold rear bolt" (so, for a
Nova "six engine" it fit good . (doesn't has a 'sight gauge' - - - but , does have a 'dip - stick' . . . . .
to check for any contents) .

(works for me) . . . . . jim

Reactions: Rusty63 and RifRaf

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
and , one more - - - showing the "insides" . . . . . . . and , the "dip - stick" ; plus, how it comes apart - - - -
if you ever have too empty it out & clean th' insides .
( I like too talk w/pictures - - plain & simple ) .

later , jim

·
Super Moderator
4,859 Posts
How often do you typically empty that? I don't have a catch can, but I am having a little blue smoke on warmup, making me think I should do one.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Hi Frank . . . . . I'm hoping that everything is good (in SoCal) . . . .

I have pulled out that 'dip-stick' several times = checking / wondering - - but have never looked , inside .
Plus , I've been - - - NOT driving as much . . . . . with this local 'Covid-19' going on . I do try too drive
down the 'road , like once a week' . . . . . . sneaking out . . . . . . driving around just too run / charge th'
battery - - - and trying to find old cars here / around Chino Valley (and , checking on those Novas . . . .
that I already know of ) .
So, for my "home-made" mounting bracket & mounting "location" . . . . . I can 'un-screw' that CAN . . .
and check the 'contents' ; but, my car hasn't any smoke for now (but, I've had this thing for almost
25 years , running this stock motor) .......................................... and , with my T 5 ...............................................
I - Do drive it like - I stole - it . I really like too run those gears , and use those back two bbl's . . . .
for what little driving that I get to do .

What really got me "thinking oil - catch - can" .................. was looking on 'M E Wagner's.com ' web-site .
Showing their customers rides = mostly people showing - off their different mounting locations / using their
DF-17 PCV valves .
Those Guys = for the most part = are using 'Catch Cans' with their DF-17 valves .
Hey , if it works for them . . . . . it should work for us guys , too .
(that's where I got my thinking . . from) .

later , jim

·
Registered
5,854 Posts

thanks!

-Rusty
Ok , then . . . . . . Rusty . . . I did find that "Oil Catch Can - part # " .

and, I had Diana look-it-up (by this #) . . . . . . ? ? ?

or

just search (which is what I did - - search through those "oil catch cans" until I found the one that looks
like this one . (I don't do Amazon ; or 'the net' )

maybe - - 604220183712 . . . SOOSEE . . . . ? ? ? ------------
anyway - that's how I found mine . . . . . . just looked around at the pictures (if those #'s don't get to it .

I also looked on Summit & Jegs ; at different catch cans , there are unlimited numbers to choose from .
in the end ............... that's the one I picked .

jim

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Ok , then . . . . . . Rusty . . . I did find that "Oil Catch Can - part # " .

View attachment 414385

and, I had Diana look-it-up (by this #) . . . . . . ? ? ?

or

just search (which is what I did - - search through those "oil catch cans" until I found the one that looks
like this one . (I don't do Amazon ; or 'the net' )

maybe - - 604220183712 . . . SOOSEE . . . . ? ? ? ------------
anyway - that's how I found mine . . . . . . just looked around at the pictures (if those #'s don't get to it .

I also looked on Summit & Jegs ; at different catch cans , there are unlimited numbers to choose from .
in the end ............... that's the one I picked .

jim
awesome! thank you, sir.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
I am going to use a very similar setup.

The plan is to run the ME Wagner PCV valve in fixed orifice tuning mode from the passenger side valve cover to an oil separator (Moroso 845474) and then to the vacuum source which will be a port in the back of the carburetor adapter plate on top of the 8-71.

Then on the drivers side valve cover I am installing a -12 AN baffled bung to run -12 braided hose from the valve cover to a (Kevco K9085) vented oil separator with a breather.

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
Here's the proposed "open" PCV system as applied to the blown BBC. The PCV valve will be set-up in "Fixed Orifice Mode". An oil defector will be installed beneath the PCV valve with an oil separator between the PCV and the vacuum source. The opposite valve cover will have a -012 flare fitting with -012 braided line running to a Kevco breather box which has an additional oil separator just in case.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Hi all, does anyone have experience with the M/E Wagner adjustable PCV valve?
I have the typical warmed-up 350 and want to have the most crankcase ventilation/pressure reduction I can get, (I hate leaks).
Snake Oil lol.

Its a gimmic. Maybe try it and give a nice write up. Pobably not.

Even them old vacuum systems didnt work for the exhaust.

People need to stop looking at the exhaust and more to the intake, I always say. What ever, JR

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Snake Oil lol.

Its a gimmic. Maybe try it and give a nice write up. Pobably not.

Even them old vacuum systems didnt work for the exhaust.

People need to stop looking at the exhaust and more to the intake, I always say. What ever, JR

I say that because many vehicles use a PCV along with an EGR valve, See, they will run into each other.

I stopped using the EGR valve. Thats all I meant. I have three PCV valves on the Nova. Tanks I made needs them. JR

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I was a bit skeptical based on the price but with a 30 day return guarantee I bought one. I'm not dealing with an EGR system and went through 2 different PCV valves not knowing what was working correctly with out trying many. Anyway I was able to dial in a good spot at idle with it and so far feel good with it.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I was a bit skeptical based on the price but with a 30 day return guarantee I bought one. I'm not dealing with an EGR system and went through 2 different PCV valves not knowing what was working correctly with out trying many. Anyway I was able to dial in a good spot at idle with it and so far feel good with it.
Hey Mark . . . .

"The most costly PCV , you'll ever buy" . . . . . . . but , think about it = I bet you'll never need too
buy another one - - - - EVER - - - - .

I thought the very same thing (when SNS had a "Group Buy" = the first time around) . . . . .
Then, jumped in on that next (Group) Buy .

When I did do my install = it was way easy , and , I think my Nova runs really good .

Plus , just buy a "Rebuild - Kit" , and u'r set .

(y)

later , jim

Do you have a
baffle , inside your valve cover . . . . . ?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
And where the hell is Alf ..?

11 months since he has been on the site.. Anyone know what’s up with him..?

Hey , Joe .. . . . . . . .

Good question - - - - So , I just called John ( aka = Alf ) . . . . . He IS very much ' Alive & Well ' ;
but, just spending time working on his other = "projects" .
Plus , A very Nice Guy ; He also says too tell 'everybody Hi ' .

there u go . . . . .

NPHNP ; even going beyond th' car 'stuff ' ................... answering 'questions'

Happy Labor Day , everyone ................

. . . jim

Reactions: Nova Thug

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Cool man..! Thanks for checking on him. I messaged him on his profile 3 months ago and got no response.. You never know..

yes . . . . I looked there also ; I saw that .
we talked for 20 - 30 mins .
He's now working on "his 48 (Ford) P/U project " . . . . using an LS / 4L60 trans ; Sounds like a
great project .

jim

Reactions: J Mark

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Hi Mark ........................................... no "Ash Fork" trip this year . . . . . ?

(let me know = if it ever happens , again ) .

Thanks ,

jim

ps = you DID buy the " DF - 17 " . . . . ?

·
Premium Member
8,024 Posts
Well I don't really know who this "Alf" is but wanted to share an update on my ME Wagner supercharged application. If Alf isn't available maybe "ET" or the Philly Phanatic can chime in.

Here's the final plumbing before it gets dyno'ed. I changed the layout slightly from the earlier diagram above and moved the oil filler hole to the passenger side and relocated the PCV vent hole towards the front of the passenger side valve cover. This was out of concern for lack of space to mount the Kevco vent box in the rear of the engine. The vent box will now be mounted on the inner fender up front.

There are oil deflectors at the PCV valve and vent holes with new bungs and fittings welded in.

Here's the revised layout:

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Factory Industry

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Machine Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Engineering Automotive exterior

81 - 100 of 117 Posts