Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I don't personally have any experience with them, but I have heard comments from some who have that didn't care much for them. They can't be much different than the cheap summit shocks I use on my car. They work well for me.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Junk...

Calvert 90/10 on a budget...AFCO BNC for a double adjustable. Competition Engineering and QA1 are both complete garbage...

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i have comp engineering on my 63 and i cant tell if there working i have them adjusted to 90/10 but i havent seen any improvement. im running a mustang II front end i dont have the money for the good stuff so i had to try something. ive jumped up to a 4500 stall converter just recently and havent had a chance to test it out at the track yet..... ive tried it out on the street but i just leave two 25 ft burnouts and cant tell sheeet :no: :D :devil:

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I went from 4 different mis-matched worn out shocks to QA-1 adjustables on the rear, and Lakewood 90/10's up front.....don't see much difference.
Had 1.34 60 ft. with the old shocks and slapper bars on 9" street tire.

·
Registered
562 Posts
i had the qa1 shocks before and they wouldnt adjust. i have used lakewood before and liked they, but your probably better off going with the calvert ones.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There was a thread just the other day from a guy asking about MOROSO Trick front springs and I posted kinda this same thing there.....I use them and all I can say is they are WAY better than Factory or (Stock) type shocks and when I installed them in conjunction with the Springs from MOROSO while to be honest it wasn't a GOB of 60' time pick up it was more than enough to make it worth my while in doing so.....could I pick up more by going another route ?.....maybe.....will I try it ?..... Sure I will mostly cause changing front shocks is still way cheaper than some of the stuff I could do....even at 100.00 bucks a pop it's still cheaper.....IF.....it will pick up even a tenth or 2 in my opinion thats coin well spent if it improves your weight transfer and 60' times just so long as it don't screw with your consistency.
My old pap always told me the faster you go the more expensive every half horse power and tenth of time is to get not to mention the more unpredictable it becomes......I will eventually get to where I don't want to sacrifice Consistency, Dependability and Durability just to gain a tenth or 2 or a half a HP thats not reliable and then have to back up to where I get the reliability back but thats just me......I'm getting old and am getting to where I would much rather Race my car than be fixing it all the time.....
again just my honest opinion.

Randy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaca1n
junk...

Calvert 90/10 on a budget...afco bnc for a double adjustable. Competition engineering and qa1 are both complete garbage...

exactly, x2
x3, I bought the CE's and they felt so cheap I didn't use them. The Calverts seem to work well for the money. I did have to grind the opening on the lower control arm for them to fit.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Junk...

Calvert 90/10 on a budget...AFCO BNC for a double adjustable. Competition Engineering and QA1 are both complete garbage...
I agree, I have the Lakewood drag shocks on mine 90/10's and I had the same set-up on 67 Nova and I had no problems , they work well with the trick springs :yes:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I run qa1's on almost everything..single adjustables up front, doubles on the rear. Have no problems. But all my cars are also full box frame cars.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I have the Summit cheepies that I bought years ago and they seem to work fine like my old school Lakewood 90/10's I had on my 67 Camaro. I will try the Calvert 90/10 when I change my poly bushings to the AFCO's. I also have the Moroso Trick springs with no coils cut out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Saturday morning before the race i took the old lakewood shocks off and compared them to my new caltracs 90/10's . The compression was similar but the extension of it was easier/faster. After taking the shocks out, i sat the car back down and noticed that the car sat about 4 inches higher than it did before i changed to the afco solid bushings. Im thinking its because the suspension is now free and utilizing the spring rate and allowing the spring to push it up higher. So it wasnt the shocks after all.

I cut a coil off the moroso trick springs and it brought it back down to where i wanted it. Put the new shocks on, and bam ! the car would raise and drop back down like it should. (before you could raise it by hand- and the car would stay up without settling back down).

Car was very consistant an 60 ft times where repeating 1.501, 1.501, 1.501 , 1.499. Ended up taking another win on saturday. Just glad to finally get it figured out.

Thanks everyone for your input

1 - 20 of 20 Posts