Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 with a new 67 close ratio manual steering box. I would like to have power steering, but don't want the expense of rack and pinion right now. What do I need to add power steering to my car (V8 if it matters)? Can I still use my new manual steering box? Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
You will need a power steering box. They are different.
Pump and associated brackets
Pulley for pump and crank
Belt
Hoses
Possibly pitman arm
I don't know about the steering link. I just did a PS conversion on a 72 Camaro and had to change the link.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Will original column work when converting?

I have a 62 with a manual steering box. I also have a 65 subframe that has all of the power steering pieces from hub to hub, minus the gearbox. Does anyone know if I can use the steering column I have with a power box?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
You will need a power steering box. They are different.
This is not correct- the steering box is the same on a PS and manual car for 62-67.

62-67 Novas use a PS ram that bolts onto the frame and steering linkage. If you have a complete system from a 65 you can transfer the parts over to your 66 no problem and use the box you have.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is not correct- the steering box is the same on a PS and manual car for 62-67.

62-67 Novas use a PS ram that bolts onto the frame and steering linkage. If you have a complete system from a 65 you can transfer the parts over to your 66 no problem and use the box you have.

I stand corrected. Thank you for the clarification. Sorry for the wrong information. It won't happen again.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Won't the Oil pan come into play with power steering also.??...Not sure...Just a thought........

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Won't the Oil pan come into play with power steering also.??...Not sure...Just a thought........
No,not with the stock set-up.

You will need the following:

P/s pump with pulley
p/s belt
p/s crank pulley
pump brackets for a large balancer will fit all engines
pump to control valve hoses
frame bracket for pump lines
control valve to ram hoses
control valve
ram
p/s idler arm bracket