Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m finished colleting my parts and I’m well on my way to finishing it up. Building a streetable 406 with 6” rods and Probe pistons.
Thanks to the members of Steve’s Nova Site for making it easier.

Chuck

·
Registered
391 Posts
more on the build-up if possible, I want to build a 406 with 6"rods,any good source books on this?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I went with 6” rods because,
1) they lowered the dynamic compression ratio,
2) according to an article with side by side comparison of rod sizes the Torque curve is a shade lower,
3) they didn’t cost any more
4) and most importantly they sound cool:) ,

Specs--
6” rods
15cc dished probe pistons
Dart Platinum 200cc iron heads
Comp Cam Magnum 286
236 advertised duration at .05
Lobe separation 110
Lift .490/.490
Static CR 9.96
Dynamic CR 7.91

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike Goble said:
I went with the 6.625" rods because they are stock....
I dont understand - how do you find pistons for a rod that size. And also people tried to talk me into offcenter grinding the crank for a 415 using smaller journal rods but I dont understand what pistons fit. Wound't they stick out the cylinder hole?:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
YFH8SIT said:
I went with 6” rods because
4) and most importantly they sound cool:) ,

They have there place but this is the reason most people use that erk me a bit. I used to be the same way But Ive read many posts and articles from people who could forget more than I know.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Mike Goble said:
Pontiac never made a 259" V-8. 3.565" bore, 3.25" stroke, 6.625" rods...
I was just talking about your post of rod length....i think pontiac used that rod length too.....lol...I was thinking your comment about rods was one of your random, but often entertaining, comments...I didnt realize you were still talking about the 259....crap thats a LONG rod for a motor with such a small displacement..:)

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I've got a 259 in my 55 Commander, runs pretty well for being 51 years old. Look what a 2.04 rod/stroke ratio did for them...

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I have a question for you Mike. Did Studebaker and Nash, maybe others too, form AMC?:confused:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Over 10 years ago we raced a 304 ci supercharged Studebaker Avanti at the salt flats. We set the record in our class and had the first 200 mph Studebaker powered Studebaker in history. Our rod ratio was a weak 1.83 with the 3.625" stroke. It dyno'd 638 HP @ 7,200 rpm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts