Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for thoughts on adding disc brakes to a fairly original car. I'm in need of some front brake work and that money could go a long way toward a disc set-up.
Discs at least were an option, like the rallys I added (only came w/disc brakes). Not trying to fool anyone on originality, but have it look like it could have come that way to the avg, car guy. I would keep it low key as possible, 14" wheel fitment, 0 offset 10. 75 or so rotors and maybe manual M/C. Not trying to get technical in this forum, just wanting to know if I will catch grief for making changes to an unmolested original car or say smart upgrade for driving in today's aggressive traffic. thoughts...sorry if this has been asked before, I did search....thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
It's a good question.

I understand your thoughts on original car to modifing it.

If the car is going to be driven and enjoyed the brake upgrade is a great investment that will not effect it's value (unless it's some mint museum limit production high valued car)

Why? it's make it safer, newer cars we find on the road today can stop 100 times better than older cars. Under normal braking, a new car is more effective braking system than 100% of the drum system.

So when a new car in front of you puts on the brakes, your most likely gonna eat the rear bumper because you can not stop that fast.

It's a selling point of safety, not modification.

I have done several disc brake conversion from mild to wild.

I like the get disc brake systems they use normal brake parts used by OEM gm cars, so when it's time to replace the wearable you can get parts from your local parts store.
http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/

As for as clearing the 14 inch wheels, it depends on the wheel, old wheels had a inside mounting step, this is the obstruction, later wheels were made without and will clear most brake systems.

If you notice in this pic the wheel on the right has this mounting hump, that will not clear disc brakes, notice wheel on left will.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I would upgrade to a dual brake system with 4 wheel disc brakes, the complete kit with manual brakes is under 1000 bucks.

I recommend a complete brake line kit at the same time.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I suggest Stainless Steel Brakes kit A123-3. Check Summit etc. for prices. The kit comes with most everything you need. It's a manual set up, which I did because its cheaper than power and the cam in my 283 does not make much vacuum anyway.

I put this on my '66 and it fit perfect (meaning the wheels are where they were originally). Some kits can reposition them further out causing clearance problems. I run 14x6 std offset Cragar S/S with 205/70-14 and all I had to do was grind a bit on the caliper brackets so the wheels would not rub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts