Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My seats are 02 Acura tl seats that I got from LKQ,Here's a link. http://stores.ebay.com/LKQonline_Sea...34Q2ec0Q2em322
I had them shipped to the closest freight terminal and picked them up there because home delivery was another $100 extra.The inside front floor boards next to the tunnel had to be flattened and the floor area between the front and back mounting points along by the tunnel had to be massaged with a hammer to get the seats to sit level .The front and rear stock seat mounts in the floor board for the front stock bucket seats had to be removed to get the the new buckets to be level.

The existing mounts on the new seats can be bent or unbolted and mover around to make them work.

I have a copy of the wiring diaghram and they move up and back and up and down as well as recline, they have heat too if you want to hook it up..The top of the back seat will fit if you open up the hooks below the package tray a little and they have a bracket at each lower corner that can be used to secure them with a bolt that passes thru the floor pan.

The center of the upper cushion has to be notched a small bit to clear the tunnel.

.The bottom cushions have two wire loops on the front at the bottom.I but two bolts up thru the floor right in line with each of them on the floor just past the kick up from the rear foot wells.I made a piece that slipped over the bolt and then as it went towards the loops in the seat I bent it down 90' and drilled a hole and spot welded a nut behind it.Then got a bolt that was long enough to reach and it helps pull that cushion back to look right.The gap between the seat hooks and the bracket needs to be large enough to let the cushion go back far enough to look good.

I took a 2x4 and put it between the upper seat custion and the side of the interior.I marked the conture of the seat on it then cut it to fit the shape of the upper cushion.I cut a little of the width out of it and then covered it with a little foam and black material to match then the fit was tight enough to hold it in place.

I didn't do anything to the gap on the bottom one because it if small enough to go unnoticed.I've had no problem with back seat access when the seats are all the way foward and the backs in full forward tilt even thougt I'm 6' 5' and 230 lbs.I ditched the headrests because they stuck up above the top of the door and I don't like that look.Powering them up was the only outside help that I had to seek.I talked to an Acura tech on Answers.com but you can probably get a seat wiring picture from an Acura repair manual .You need to find all grounds at the plug and tie them together and ground them. Then find all wires that say "Fused" at the plug and tie them together and find a power source that is hot when the switch is off and on.I left the factory plugs intact so that I could easily unplug them if I needed to remove the seats. If there is anything else that I can help you with just let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
AWESOME POST!!!! (and well timed too!!!:yes:).
i'm currently building a '63 wagon with extensive,but subtle mods to the interior and exterior.we're modifying the floor plan(flattening it where the front seat mounts) to accept my fat butt(6'3',285 lbs:eek::rolleyes:) AND power seats.perhaps i can steal some ideas and utilize something similar to yours.it would be neat to incorporate these style seats to the rear as well and still have them fold down to allow full access to the rear wagon floor.
can you possibly give me the measurement on the front seat lower? i need to know the height from the floor when the seat is in the "full down" position and the measurement to the "full up" spot too.thanks in advance.
looks great!!
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Excellent job! Looks like you had a little work getting your late model seats in too. Seats look good. My Concorde back seat attaches in just about the same fashion as yours does. My bottom rear cushion also had the two wire loops in the front. I see you made a bracket to attach them to and pull them into place. This is where I built an extension "shelf" out of wood instead to pull back mine into position and to give it more support in the front.
How much overhang does your bottom cushion have at the floor drop "kick up" point? Mine was about 4".
I also notice you didn't put rear armrests in the back. Clearance maybe?
It looks awsome.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,876 Posts
That looks great !!! :thumbsup: Nice photos too, thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
those seats look amazing! i think some people tend to put seats in that just dont look anything remotely close to "date" correct but those seats look pretty good to me. i have the same front seats out of 89 or 98 acura integra - i didnt get the headrests with mine. im thinking of recovering them in vinyl and using them. I am glad to hear those seat brackets work w/o much fabrication.
thanks for posting the pics.
steve

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ditched the headrests because they stuck up above the top of the door and I don't like that look.:no:powering them up was the only outside help that I had to seek.I talked to an Acura tech on Answers.com but you can probably get a seat wiring picture from an Acura repair manual .You need to find all grounds at the plug and tie them together and ground them. Then find all wires that say "Fused" at the plug and tie them together and find a power source that is hot when the switch is off and on.I left the factory plugs intact so that I could easily unplug them if I needed to remove the seats.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
That was a great post, well detailed and precise. If I hadn't bought a pui kit already something like this would do me a great justice.
Maybe later hmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Super job!!!! Great fitment and a good look. My only question is the seatbelts. How will you route them. I have tossed in a few diff aftermarket seats and modified them for seat belts. I want a three point seat belt. But most of the seats I have tried use a top mounting point for the belts. I have a hard top 62 and dont want the belt flapping in the wind.

I have modified a set of seats so there is a belt guide on the top shoulder of the seat. So the belt comes up from the floor and goes through the guide. Some camaro seats were like that, thats where I got the guides from. Did it on a convertible I have also.

But I wanted a seat that was meant to handle the loads in a crash, one that was meant to have the seat belt routed over the shoulder of the seat.

So I settled on some cadillac cts seats. They are tilt forward seats, VS say a very similar seat, a chrysler sebring seat. They look to be very close the the cadillac seats, but they dont tilt forward for rear access.

Problem with both those seats? The height. Because they route the belt through the upper shoulder of the seat the headrest is tall. Might look kinda odd in a 62. But so be it.

I really like the look of your seats. Just wondering what type of belt you are gonna use. Lap belt only, no shoulder? JR

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
thats pretty awsome! someone else posted earlier about his half price venture to the wrecking yards and did his entire interior with the seats of a neon... ill try and find it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Look very nice! I had been saving a set of 87 Integra seats for my 71, but they found their way into my Beetle since it's my daily :rolleyes: But maybe I'll get lucky and snag a set similar to yours, as they look MUCH nicer :cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I recently got a pair of 99 Acura TL buckets for $80 for the pair in perfect condtion. Quite the steal! The heaters in all of the Acura seats suck, even when new. They take 10-15 minutes to warm up and even then it's barely warm to the touch. If I don't move to Texas, then I will be replacing the stock seat heaters for aftermarket carbonfiber heaters. VW's and Subaru's have the BEST seat heaters on the market and always have. When you are moving the seats around and handling them, DONT accidentally grab hold of the drive cable that goes from one rail to the other...you'll be real pissed. I got lucky and only stripped the gear half way because it popped out when I grabbed it picking it up, forgot about it 2 weeks later when installing them and the seat very quickly stopped sliding forward and back. And anyone wondering how wide these seats are (I have a wide center console and the previous seats rubbed the console and the pillars) but these seats are 21.5 inches at the widest point...my previous seats were 25.5 inches at the widest point.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[/FONT]
whats the width on the acrua seats??
I would say that the TL seats were about 4ins. more narrower than the stock rear seat.I made the filler out of 2x4s that were narrowed a little then covered to match.I didn't worry about the lower cushion because it's gap wasn't noticeable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts