Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is is accessory power accessed in in first Gens? I don't have power on the ignition switch in the locked or On positions. it's a new switch so it's not a switch option. Any thoughts?

Thanks

G

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi what year is it and what do you want to directly wire up? Also what charging system do you have external or internal regulator? How many amps? I read your post again the 1st gens get power to the switch from the horn relay What are you having problem with no start look at the neutral safety switch also for power console or cloumn car

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Keepitclean wiring harness in a 63. I assumed accessory power was sent from the ignition switch back to the fuse box. However there is no power to any accessories. I'm just trying to get the heater blower working. I could wire it to a live circuit but it bothers me that none of the accessory circuits work. I thought it was because I didn't have a ground to the ignition switch but I grounded to the body with no avail. The original ground from the ignition went to the pink wire on the gauge cluster according to the wiring diagram. I'm lost.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As mentioned earlier and I think it holds true for your model, power to the ignition switch comes from the horn relay. it is then distributed to ignition and/or accessories, depending on the key position. GM used this path for quite a few years on a variety of models.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi I own a 63 SS for 40 years. I have the schematics. As others said the power comes from the battery then into the horn relay. After that it goes into the car to the fuse box for your accessories, heater , wipers signals etc... From the horn relay it also hard wires head lights, brake ,dome, lighter, etc... Because the body is metal that is where why most electrical sockets are self grounding. If the car was just painted make sure the surface is clean where the ground is attached engine block fire wall rad support. With the new harness depending on your electrical needs and it sounds like you are rewiring or rewired this car make sure you have fusible links in the circuits

·
6,501 Posts
I have a Keepitclean wiring harness in a 63. I assumed accessory power was sent from the ignition switch back to the fuse box. However there is no power to any accessories. I'm just trying to get the heater blower working. I could wire it to a live circuit but it bothers me that none of the accessory circuits work. I thought it was because I didn't have a ground to the ignition switch but I grounded to the body with no avail. The original ground from the ignition went to the pink wire on the gauge cluster according to the wiring diagram. I'm lost.
Too keep things straight, you have a Keepitclean wiring harness in your 63 correct ?.

I looked in their site and they currently do not offer a vehicle specific harness so does yours have one of the Custom Car or Universal wiring kits from Keepitclean or is it an older setup that they no longer make ?.

If you do, is there any way of figuring out what one you have and can the manufacturer provide a wiring diagram ?.

The sad thing is there is no standardization as far as wiring. A red wire can be battery power or a switched power, a pink wire can be battery power or a switched power, a blue can be whatever also. A stock wiring diagram can be of no real use on an aftermarket that is designed differently.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t think there was an accessory option on the Gen 1s. The switch has “Lock”, “Off”, “On”, and “Start”. If I wanted to play the radio, I’d burn my points, too. If you’re wanting to add an “Accessory” option, besides replacing the switch to add the option, you would need to rewire your loom to heat up those accessories, probably everything but the engine running circuits. I’m not familiar with the new loom, so some of this may be done for you. -Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts