Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to install a 2006 5.3l L33 into my 65 4dr. I have a CBR power rack and lower control arms. I plan on using the CBR headers mid length headers and mounting plates. I also plan on using truck-style accessories.

I am also adapting a factory ac setup(just the under-dash evaporator) to this setup. My question is, what mount do I need to use for the compressor that will clear everything? I seem to remember someone using the factory low truck mount, but I’m not sure if they used different motor mount plates or something. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a vintage air low mount bracket for sale if you looking for one of those. Wouldn't work with my set up. I have a Heidts front clip with the dirty dingo slide mounts and a 5.3. Not sure if it would work on yours but here is the link with a photo and some measurements.

https://www.vintageair.com/brackets/?subcat1=GM-LS&subcat2=Compressor&subcat3=Low Mount Bracket

If not I went with the Vintage Air upper mount made by Kwik performance. Its a nice set up I have photos of it installed in my build thread.

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
If using truck or Fbody front drive the Alan Grove low mount fits nicely. You do have to use tight clearance 90,s on the compressor. Mine has been in for 5 years with no issues

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally getting back to this project. I can’t believe I’m looking at $200+ for brackets!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if I could modify the stock bracket to fit around the CBR plates. I'm going to try it with a stock compressor to see what fits. Any thoughts?

Someone tried something similar in this thread:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Novapat, post pics if you are able to modify the factory bracket. I just realized last week im in the same situation. I may try to cut up the factory mount next week if i get the time.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I used ICT Billet brackets. Really like the fit and the price. It uses the truck dampener and aligns the Sanden compressor to the AC belt grooves on the dampener and uses the truck tensioner (new one included with the bracket kit). The photos are with the CBR mount plates and the Nova motor mounts. The cost for the AC kit was $200.

For the rest of the accessories the bracket kit was $190. F body water pump with spacers, truck alternator, truck tensioner with the pulley change to a smooth one (pulley included in the kit) and an F body power steering pump. I changed the PS pulley to the metal V6 type from the plastic V8 pulley. To align the belt the bracket stand offs were shortened by 5mm to compensate for the different offset between the V6 and V8 PS set ups. It was not necessary if the V8 pulley was used, pump came without a pulley and I had the V6 one on the shelf.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Novapat, post pics if you are able to modify the factory bracket. I just realized last week im in the same situation. I may try to cut up the factory mount next week if i get the time.
You can modify the factory bracket pretty easily. I’m hoping to drop the engine back in within the next 2 weeks. Then I can mock up the compressor.

Here are some pics so far:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks I need to get back to that. Been working on rear suspension. Please post a pic of the finished bracket and any changes.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
You can make your own and put it exactly where you want it. Because of my cowl induction intake nothing over the counter would work.

I started with 1/2" MDF and washers to get the position just right, then I went to a local shop that did a cnc plasma cutting and gave them my MDF templates. After I got the pieces back I had them powder coated which you would have to do to the Alan Grove brackets anyway. Then I ordered a spacer kit from Summit to replace the washers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts