Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running 71 Nova a 454 with factory ac? If so did you have to modify the factory ac box? My car has a Smallblock and wanting to swap it to a Bigblock.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone running 71 Nova a 454 with factory ac? If so did you have to modify the factory ac box? My car has a Smallblock and wanting to swap it to a Bigblock.
The 70 Nova came out with a 396 with AC, so I doubt there would be any difference with a 454. I'm not sure if the 71
Nova came out with a 454. Thats when everybody was down-sizing the gas guzzlers. It's a tight fit but they will fit.
Just Goggle and look at a 70 engine bay.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Dave . . . there is a difference for sbc heater core "outlets" & bbc heater box & heater core outlets. ( on non a/c cars) . How might that effect the factory a/c "suitcase" ? . . .
or would it make any difference . Hey - I'm just a 'six fan' - - I know nothing . . . . ??

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did some snooping and found a few things. There are two different firewalls when they built the 68-72 Novas. One for AC/Heater and one just for the non AC car. If your car has the AC already it shouldn't matter. The difference is the hole in the firewall. In the AC cars the hole is smaller.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I believe the inner AC suitcase panel was different on BBC cars to accommodate the larger engine, so I'm not sure if your SBC inner suitcase panel is correct (it might work, but I had to remove mine due to headers on an SBC, so I kind of doubt a BBC will fit).
BBC inner case: 1970 Chevrolet Nova Parts | K329 | 1967-72 Big Block with AC Inner Evaporator Core Case | Classic Industries
SBC inner case: 1970 Chevrolet Nova Parts | K330 | 1967-73 Small Block Inner Evaporator Core Outlet Case | Classic Industries
Because they don't produce the outer case halves, I'm not sure if the BBC case will attach to your SBC outer or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts