Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the entire 1/4 off, now i just have to get one back on! i have not made up my mind as to whether i am doing a butt weld or overlap, or to try out the 3m panel adhesive. my question is, no matter what method i do, how do i go about spot welding the 1/4 to the rocker? it has a lip that bends in and was factory spotted. there is no way that i see that i can get in there to attach it. any ideas, tips or pictures? thanks in advance. this is on a 74 if that matters.
-jay

·
Registered
49 Posts
the only way to weld the seam 1/4 to rocker is thru the 1/4 window opening (inside the car, I wouild pull the glass and regulator) or use the panel bonding adhesive. If you glue the 1/4 on make sure to have it pre-fitted and plenty of clamps.

·
6,502 Posts
You can go through the area under the rear quarter glass like geneo said or you might be able to get in from the hole left after removing the plastic vent below the door striker in the back portion of the door jamb opening.

If you have the original metal off what I would do so less water can stand in this seamed area is there are oval shaped drain holes in the rocker sill that are up kinda high and by taking a burr bit or a rat tail file you can enlarge these holes downward to where now any water that gets in there will have an easier time draining out into the rocker sills. With a lower entry point less water can sit in there and the quicker it will evaporate and create less chances of rust. On my 74 I trial fitted the quarters and marked the sill where the new quarter panel lipped in section would stop and then slotted the holes down to that point. I also predrilled this lip on my replacement quarters to where it was easier to plug weld into place. On mine after I got done welding I slopped a bunch of POR-15 in that area and some oozed out of the seam but after it dried I sanded it off and applied primer over the metal. My thinking with coating it at that point in time was now if any water got in there it would more easily flow out and with the POR-15 on the metal this would also act as a barrier.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts