Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my second wiring job on a classic car using AAW's classic update. The first one, I borrowed a friends crimping tool and for the double crimps, bought a tool that seemed to work.

With this one, I started using the same tools, but changed my mind. Since this car will be mine till I die (or someone offers a boatload of cash) I decided to rent the tools.

I can't begin to describe how much better the crimps are using the correct tools. My crimps look good, the connectors fit together better, and I feel more confident in my wiring work.

Trust me, get the right tools! You will be happy...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, it's funny I jumped on the electrical forum to research this exact question. I have had two very respected full-time car builders tell me to just grab some non-insulated crimpers off the tool truck or at Lowes and get busy, but I watched the AAW video and really liked the crimps the high-dollar crimpers made.

I've spent so much money on this project that I'd really like to not spend 100 bucks on crimpers, but I'll never finish the wiring in 30 days to rent the tool. I need to just pony up the 100 bucks...Thanks for posting that.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Spend the money. I bought some like these about 5 years ago. They have 4 different dies. I use them ALOT!!! Money well spent.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Spend the money. I bought some like these about 5 years ago. They have 4 different dies. I use them ALOT!!! Money well spent.
X2
I purchased a crimper from MSD and it comes with four different dies. I have done three cars and they a lifesaver, one of the dies is for spark plugs wires so thats a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crimping tool

Any part numbers or links to these products. I'll definitely buy a set for a future rewire.

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
The msd crimper i have is the 35051
I have the dies for amp connectors 10 awg-22awg, weatherpack and insulated connectors, and spark plug dies. I use this tool more than i thought i would. Great investment.

In response to the question of cost i have about $150 in my set. Like i said IMO it's a great investment. The terminations it produces are second to none. Check evil bay for deals

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fast65 knows what he's talking about :yes: ...check this out below. The crimping tool he sugests comes with five diferent dies...and double crimps too!

AND........he's an AAW dealer :)

I am an AAW dealer and can offer discounted pricing to SNS members. All products are drop shipped directly from AAW's warehouse. If interested, please pm me for quotes.

Thanks
Frank
Just passing along your knowledge Frank...hope you don't mind.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have the tool aid crimper and did a review on it in the reviews and ratings forum. I'm still installing the AAW classic update kit, but I haven't come across a crimp it hasn't been able to do.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The crimp connections is what will make or break that installation. As many people have said, get the correct tools and you will never regret it. We use ours a lot and they still work great.

Walt

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Shop around because I found the “56” style crimper anywhere from 98.00 to 185.00 for the same tool. I have the separate Delphi/Packard crimpers for “56”/”59” and Weather-Pac. If I had all to do over again I would have bought the MSD. I have the MSD plug wire crimper and I wonder if I can just buy the other dies?

This tool (56) crimps the wire the exact same way the factory did it and for the most part those wire connections have held up for some of you guys for 45 years or so. Most failures of the 45 year old electrical system are due to high corrosion areas like bulb sockets or a previous owners stereo installation and not “the system”. This is far superior (due to the insulation crimp) than a crimp and solder connection. Show your new wires the same respect. It is probably the best 100.00 dollars you will spend during your restoration.

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts