Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wiring a complete AAW kit with a 6AL, but I’m stumped with the pink ignition wire coming out of the bulkhead. It’s suposed to tie into the red wire coming out of the 6AL box. Can someone that is running this set up let me know where exactly you tied into the red MSD red wire?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
IF the AAW harness follows the OEM spec, the pink wire (with a black stripe) is a special resistor wire to reduce the current going to the hot side of the coil when using a points distributor. With HEI or electronic ignition of any sort it's best to replace the resistor wire with a 12ga GXL type wire. Then just hook the ignition up like they say in the manual.

EDIT: I just looked at their instructions and it appears you run the wire directly to the 6AL. If using points they recommend installing a ballast resistor.

https://www.americanautowire.com/PDFLink/92969272 510143 IN 1.0.pdf

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm running a 6AL with a mechanical advance MSD pro billet distributor and have AAW wiring. The red wire from the 6AL just needs a switched power source. I used the pink wire out of my firewall plug. The only thing I had a problem with was converting a digital signal into a analog signal for my Dakota Digital gauge system. I ended up using a tach adapter from MSD. I'd have to check exactly how it wires but with the instructions it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that I’m running an MSD rtr dist. Basically what I did is what the diagram says. I tied in the pink ignition wire to the red coming out of the 6AL box and connected it to the red on the pigtail that connects to the distributor. I talked to MSD tech support and was under the impression that the pink wire was supposed to connect directly into the box.

Attachments

·
6,502 Posts
I know that some of the aftermarket companies do things differently, but I would also see if that pink wire is on a fuse. A lot of GM ignition wires are NOT fused and if a short was to occur on the wire, if it is properly fused, the fuse will blow and not melt the insulation off of the wire.

Just something to check and know should an issue arise later.

Jim

·
Registered
869 Posts
Different distributors wire differently. I used the plug from my 6Al box that went to my distributor and the red wire went to a switched source only. The only glitch I've had in my wiring was I used a wire from my AAW harness to provide power to my fan relays and it was causing my ignition switch to heat up. I went back and ran my main power to the hot leg on the starter and it solved my problem.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this Nova kit from AAW is pretty simple and well explained as far as the instructions go. I believe that ignition wire is fused coming from the bulkhead

1 - 7 of 7 Posts