Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an SS's VIN # different than a non SS? How can you tell? Would the VIN also tell if it is a convrt.? Thanks.

1NINETY4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went and looked at a 63 SS ragtop. He are some numbers I got off the cowl tag.

Trim 2 786

Paint 900 5

Number at bottom (?) F2CM3Z

I am supposed to go back and test drive it. I will get the VIN # and other cowl tag numbers for all to see.

Questions:

Is this a real SS ragger?

The car has a decent paint job, but has overspray on some of the weather strip and some places where the "painter" painted over rust, or it's rusting through. Not perfect by any means. Floors have been patched, the passenger side door where it meets the rear quarter has a very noticeable gap up top (panel alignment), and the pass door sticks a little when you try and close it (hinge ?). Doesnt have the SS trunk lid badge and I dont remember seeing SS on the steering wheel. Does not have a floor shifter for the powerglide, on column. Underneath has a lot of coating, possibly hiding rust. Owner says it runs and drives great. Car looks like a decent driver, but who knows. Someone want to take a stab at what it's worth based on this description?

Thanks

1NINETY4

·
13,707 Posts
1NINETY4, the 'Z' in the bottom line of the cowl tag denotes the SS option. The others indicate tinted windshield (F), powerglide (M) and padded dash (C). The car was born Tuxedo Black (900) with Red Vinyl upholstery (786). This car should have bucket seats and a chrome floor console housing a shifter for the PG.....not sure how it got a PG shifter on the column. Should have a horizontal chrome strip running down the center line of the dash and an SS badge on the glove box door. The SS also had gauges in the cluster for temp, fuel, oil and batt instead of warning lights.
As you know these cars have no frame, but the converts have two support braces running the length of the floor pan on each side just beyond the rocker panels. Check to make sure these are not rusting out. I saw one last year that was so rusted I could put my hand up inside the support. These braces are a major part of structural integrity of converts. Poorly hanging doors can be a sign these supports are weak. Hope this helps.
Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
CDN,

Thanks. I actually am a chevy truck man and know little about early Novas. I did not know about the brace on the bottom of the floor. I will definitely check that out. She is supposed to call me today sometime. Any opinion on value?

1NINETY4

·
13,707 Posts
1NINETY4 said:
CDN,

Thanks. I actually am a chevy truck man and know little about early Novas. I did not know about the brace on the bottom of the floor. I will definitely check that out. She is supposed to call me today sometime. Any opinion on value? 1NINETY4
It's almost impossible to state a value without seeing the car. I'd be concerned about the way the doors are hanging. Could just be hinges, but might also be the car starting to sag. If you can, also check the top frame lower mounting points. You have to remove the back seat cushion and lower side panels to see this. The lower part of the top frame is bolted to the floor. You can probably guess what the problem will be if the floor is rusted through in this area :eek: .
Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha. I'll definitely get some pics for ya'll to see. And if I cant swing buying it, I'll pass it on to ya'll.

1NINETY4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the link to the ad for the nova SS ragtop:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/5/1/83660451.htm

Went and looked at it again. She said she purchased the car in IOWA, and had it shipped down here. The trunk has been patched as well. Due to a family emergency during the past couple weeks, she has been unable to email me photos. When she does, I will post 'em up. Give her a call if you are interested.

1NINETY4

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cathy finally emailed me the pics of her 63 SS ragtop. Is there a manage attachments link for posting pics somewhere here? Will post the pics as soon as I can figure out how. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Danno,

Thanks for the link. The car does have some problem areas, namely whoever did the resto cut some corners. But as you can see it is definitely a nice "15 footer " driver. I'll see if I cant get her to join up here and if your interested, she can answer questions for you. Thanks for looking.

1NINETY4

1 - 19 of 19 Posts