Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have said this before but I really think that alot of these guys put stuff on there(mostly cars) just to see if anyone will bid on it, or how much and use it as a guide to find its worth. Some of the prices asked are so crazy, they must not want to sell it that bad. They must hope someone sees it who just cannot live without it. I also think some guys don't even want to sell the item but their other half does, so if he can tell her "I tried honey but nobody wants it" I sure some of them don't need the money but will take it if they get their price no matter how crazy..................Just a thought

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I do believe you're right in that regard on just seeing what somebody will pay. I almost threw my Nova on there about 6 weeks ago when I was frustrated with it just to see if it would hit the reserve and thus it would go away. Of course now I'm glad I didn't now that I'm driving it daily all over the place.

Jason

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's a pretty expensive way to find out if it will sell considering the listing fees, percentage of reserve and/or BIN and any features they choose.

Some people just believe that's what they're worth, especially if they built it themselves, it can get very expensive. They're more than likely just trying to get back what they put into it, but ebay is definitely not the place for that.

I have over $10,000 in my 76 SS, and that's doing everything myself. Almost half that just in the engine. So far I haven't seen one sell completely restored for more than $5,000. That's a big difference. I'll never sell mine because of it, unless someone just happens to want it bad enough that I can get my money back out of it. The whole idea of selling something, IMO, is to make a profit, not lose money.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
jade76 said:
The whole idea of selling something, IMO, is to make a profit, not lose money.
This is not true when it comes to restoring most cars. I dont think restoring cars is a good money making business.
I just sold my car on Ebay. The listing cost me 50 bucks. I got 250 more than I wanted. But lost about 1250 over all. It was money well spent, both for the restore and the ebay listing. Now I just hope I get my deposit tomorrow.

Not knocking you Jade or directing this at you. But I truely believe people get all hyped on a price. I spent this much to build the car. blah blah blah. If you want to sell it. Sell it at best offer. If you cant handle that then keep the car.

·
Registered
436 Posts
sixtyII Quote:

Originally Posted by jade76
The whole idea of selling something, IMO, is to make a profit, not lose money.

This is not true when it comes to restoring most cars. I dont think restoring cars is a good money making business.
I definitely agree with what you say there. Not much money to be made in restoration. $1250 loss is reasonable IMO, and you probably got enough back to get another one if you wanted, and you were satisfied with it, so that's the main thing.

You may be right about the price issue. I guess IMO, if a price looks ridiculously high I usually believe it probably is. I'm sure there's some people out there willing to pay any price to have a finished car, I guess I'm just not one of them. lol

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don' think there are any of us who go into this with the idea that we'll be the next Chip Foos, or even get our Money back. I know in the beginning that I will never get money back for my labor. But I didn't go into it to get rich. I just think any one who thinks he's going to get every penny back is dreaming. As far as it being to much money to put it on ebay it ain't all that much when you figure how much exsposure you can get over a local advertisement with pictures an all. What ever reason you do it for ,fun to have few beers in the garage with friends,race or the love of it, or just cause you can. 99% will lose money, but thats OK cause its a hobby like anything else. I fish and hunt alot. I would hate to think how much my fish or Deer meat costs me per pound. Sometime I even hate to think what the Novas are costing me but like I said it's for fun, and this forum helps!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
2novacars said:
I have said this before but I really think that alot of these guys put stuff on there(mostly cars) just to see if anyone will bid on it, or how much and use it as a guide to find its worth. Some of the prices asked are so crazy, they must not want to sell it that bad. They must hope someone sees it who just cannot live without it. I also think some guys don't even want to sell the item but their other half does, so if he can tell her "I tried honey but nobody wants it" I sure some of them don't need the money but will take it if they get their price no matter how crazy..................Just a thought
"it's buyer beware" on e-bay items. the feed back info is fleeting at best and if you don't do your home work in detail, you may not get what you are expecting. if you do your home work, expect the product equal to what you are willing to pay, then you will get a whole lot less surprises. ask the questions and request info that you need, before you buy not after your disappointed. i'm a little off (OK a lot) the content of the thread, but the prices listed are generally too high for the actual worth of the product. thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are right. Home work really is the thing. If you don't do it you can get caught with you pants "way down." I have been worked over a couple of times , not out a bunch of $ but I had a wasted trip to Little Rock from outside St Louis. on a 63 nova. Didn't even get to hear the car run. turned out for the best that I didn't get it cause it was totally misrepresented. I Didn't blame myself for that one but sometimes I was mad at no one but myself for being a little quick on the trigger, err uuh enter button. I bought an item once because I bid 750.00 below the buy it now price and up popped the thing that said you are the high bidder and the reserve has been met. So I got it with no complaints because thats what I said I wanted to pay for it. So like a fella in "Hill Street Blues" used to say "Lets be careful out there"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts