Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here in the Upstate N.Y. area where Winters are usually brutal and long, the past few weeks have been a touch of heaven with the warmer temps and longer days. The ' 70 Nova I acquired in January had sat in my barn for the duration of Winter and finally got it out to clean and shine the "ride" and prep it for Cruise nites and just plain fun. Almost 9 years of garage dust and inactivity had plagued this car and finally it gets to "live" again. Some small mechanical work to the Holley (which leaked from dried out gaskets) was corrected with a mere turn of the screws luckily, and brakes had to be run out a bit to get rid of the light coat of rust on the rotors but everything turned out ok. The trick was to buff up the paint once again and get rid of years of dust and neglect. A good buffing with the Milwaukee and some good polish helped bring out the beauty of the Fathom Blue paint that was freshly done just before the long "hibernation" for the Nova. A change over from the original Rallye wheels to the SS style G.M. wheel changed the look for the first time in many years........The real fun came when I took it out for the first "run" down the road. Not knowing what to expect, I took it easy at first, not wanting to be surprised with any unknown glitches. Luckily there weren't any to my surprise. A little adjustment on the air/fuel mix on the Holley to smooth out the idle and a good cleaning of the Bosch Platinum plugs and correct "gapping" made it run super. The exhaust was a bit deep and throaty with the Flowmaster crossflow style muffler and it rings in your ears after a while but I am determined to overcome that...LOL. The interior was newly re-done before the restoration/hibernation so all it really needed was a good vacuuming and dusting of the surfaces. This car is the first Nova I've owned that wasn't a 4 speed and my hand kept reaching down for the shifter and my foot for the clutch but there wasn't any....kinda different not having to shift gears but no less fun I thought. The power of the L-78 motor was evident with the tap of the pedal and the sound of the exhaust, the rear end gearing is more pleasant than my 3.90's in my other car and a lot more "road friendly" on longer drives. All in all, the experience of getting this "ride" back on the road and making it presentable again have been rewarding. Still not completely done but who is ever done? Always something, just one more thing or two..............Looking forward to a lot of Summer Cruises and enjoying the Nova(s)...............Hope you do also

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
nice.. great fun bringing the beast out of hibernation.....:cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Taste of Summer......

HTML:
so might I ask, why was it in hibernation for so long?
Good question........the former owner completed resto work in '93...drove it 4K miles til '00 on the local car show circuit mostly and then parked it. It was an older gentleman whom I met in '99 at a car show and took pics of this same car and spoke with the owner briefly. The car disappeared from the radar screen and one acquaintance told me he had tried unsuccessfully to purchase the car during the "hibernation" period but the owner wouldn't sell. Kept in in a garage and it sat. Health issues and loss of interest put the Nova on the back burner. I came across it in the local Craigslist at the end of Dec. ' 08 and immediately recognized the car as the same car I had seen back in '99 and photographed. The fellow had decided that he and his dad would part with the Nova now.......we negotiated a price and I had it flatbedded to my place and here it is now. Figured it was kind of interesting that I had photographed the car nearly 10 years earlier because it grabbed my attention and today I own it..........funny how things come full circle sometimes. That's the story on the "hibernation" as best as I understand it.........just glad to have it back on the road and looking like it should.....:yes:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
HTML:
so might I ask, why was it in hibernation for so long?
Good question........the former owner completed resto work in '93...drove it 4K miles til '00 on the local car show circuit mostly and then parked it. It was an older gentleman whom I met in '99 at a car show and took pics of this same car and spoke with the owner briefly. The car disappeared from the radar screen and one acquaintance told me he had tried unsuccessfully to purchase the car during the "hibernation" period but the owner wouldn't sell. Kept in in a garage and it sat. Health issues and loss of interest put the Nova on the back burner. I came across it in the local Craigslist at the end of Dec. ' 08 and immediately recognized the car as the same car I had seen back in '99 and photographed. The fellow had decided that he and his dad would part with the Nova now.......we negotiated a price and I had it flatbedded to my place and here it is now. Figured it was kind of interesting that I had photographed the car nearly 10 years earlier because it grabbed my attention and today I own it..........funny how things come full circle sometimes. That's the story on the "hibernation" as best as I understand it.........just glad to have it back on the road and looking like it should.....:yes:
dang man sounds like you got your dream car eh? :D good deal, its a GORGEOUS Nova, is it a true ss?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dang man sounds like you got your dream car eh? good deal, its a GORGEOUS Nova, is it a true ss?
Just wanted to thank all you guys for the nice comments on the car....even though this isn't my first and only Nova, it's one that I'm proud to own along with my other '70 Big Block Nova. I just enjoy the "old Iron" and re-living my past oldies days. As for being a true SS, it surely is.............got the photos of it before it was restored with the original motor and body..........thanks guys.............

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Wow!!!:wow::notworthy: very very nice Nova!!!!! congratulations!!! enjoy the spring time!!! here start the autumn:( i love the summer!!!:yes: greetings!!!
Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts