Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased from a friend a Transmission Cooler he ran in his Super Pro Car and since he only used it for about 6 races before he up graded to a bigger unit with it's own Electric Fan and he never had any type of Failure or Issue with it... feel real safe in doing so.......not to mention his generosity saved me a ton of coin.......

Now I have done my homework and found out from my Transmission Builder that this Cooler is PLENTY big enough for my Powerglide and that with the Electric fan and Radiator Combo I run that it will provide the perfect ammount of cooling for the Transmission.......so here's the question.... I want to completely flush out this cooler to be sure it's clean and free of any type of debris regardless of the fact that my buddy is very meticulous and would have an absolute heart attack if he even got one speck of dirt in anything.... I still want to be sure just for my own piece of mind and the sake of my Brand New Racing Transmission & Converter.....so with all of that said does anybody make something a guy can buy to do this or does anybody have any sure fire methods to accomplish this ?
I thank you for your advice in advance.
Randy

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if you can find somebody with a solvent tank that be your best bet. Run solvent thru it, and blow it out with compressed air.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well if you have installed in on the car already you can flush it out by loosening the bottom line ( trans fitting ) and sticking it in a bucket. then start the car and add transmission fluid until you get about a quart or 2 into the bucket. you are also flushing out the converter doing this method as well . then when your done shut her down put the fitting back together restart your car and check the fluid level in the trans. if its not installed i guess try running some solvent through it and letting it air dry or blow it out with air it should work just fine.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have broken alot of transmissions and converters and I just flush the cooler out with mineral spirits in the parts washer followed by air. I have used carb cleaner and brake cleaner in a spray can at the track before and never had a problem. RM

·
Registered
162 Posts
My local napa store has a trans cooler flush that c omes in an aerosol can.....I believe that you screw the end of the line to the can and turn the can upside down and sr=pray the cleaner thru it......my trans builder uses it and swears by it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Thanks you guys those are all good suggestions and as I don't have it in the car yet I will flush it out with fresh solvent and then use air to make sure it's clean,dry and empty. I like the idea of using Canned Carb Cleaner as it evaporates and leaves behind no residue I will for sure keep that one in mind for emergency use. I wonder if the Canned Brake parts cleaner would work as well ?

Thanks Again to all you guys.
Randy

·
Registered
509 Posts
My local napa store has a trans cooler flush that c omes in an aerosol can.....I believe that you screw the end of the line to the can and turn the can upside down and sr=pray the cleaner thru it......my trans builder uses it and swears by it.

this is what we use at the shop when replacings transmissions...seems to work very well.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The Milton company (make tire chucks and stuff) makes a
SIPHON SPRAY NOZZLE, # S157

You hook it up to your compressor then stick the Siphon hose in some Kerosene and clean out your cooler.

I use this to clean out transmission lines and factory coolers. And just clean real greasy stuff also.:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S157-Siphon-Blo-Gun-Tubing/dp/B000COTXEI

JUST A IDEA
Al

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Milton company (make tire chucks and stuff) makes a
SIPHON SPRAY NOZZLE, # S157

You hook it up to your compressor then stick the Siphon hose in some Kerosene and clean out your cooler.

I use this to clean out transmission lines and factory coolers. And just clean real greasy stuff also.:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S157-Siphon-Blo-Gun-Tubing/dp/B000COTXEI

JUST A IDEA
Al
Hey and a good one it is AL thanks a bunch I went in to town today and got one and just now came up from the shop and it worked perfect.
Thanks again and by the way how did you do at PINKS ?
Randy.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Hey and a good one it is AL thanks a bunch I went in to town today and got one and just now came up from the shop and it worked perfect.
Thanks again and by the way how did you do at PINKS ?
Randy.
Class was not picked, but had fun.
Was on the PASSTIME show two weeks later and both should be on air soon.

Al

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Class was not picked, but had fun.
Was on the PASSTIME show two weeks later and both should be on air soon.

Al
Cool glad you had a good time anyway.....can't wait till they come back out this a way maybe to Topeka or Bandameire again...we will give it a go to be sure.

I see where the "NEW" season of "PASSTIME" and "ALL OUT" starts tonight with the first of 2 back to back episodes of PASSTIME ....not sure but I think the one is where some of the guys from the site were on....???? we will be watching for all of you guys.
Randy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts