Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately it was by the guy running in the other lane :(. I knew I would have to cut a good light to beat this guy (he has run many years in stock eliminator). In fact I cut it too close and red lighted. But didn't matter, I was not going to beat a 0.000 RT and 0.05 off his dial in :eek:. At least I got beat by the best run of the day. Just wish it wasn't in the first round.

The good news is I ran my best-ever 1/8 et and 60 ft (7.79 / 1.64). Still don't have the consistency I need though, as my next run for time only was 7.91 / 1.73, even though I did everything exactly the same. What's up with that :confused:?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Congrats on your best time Bob. Maybe after all the mods your gonna be doing, the car will get more consistent. If not, it will always be funner running on the bottle.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Not the right attitude here. Just because the guy had a .000 light and .05 off, you could've won with a .04 light and dead on your dial or anything in between. Happens at Norwalk all the time. He had a .o5 package. Anything better would beat it. I've had perfect lights before and was loading up afterwards. Dave

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The good news is I ran my best-ever 1/8 et and 60 ft (7.79 / 1.64). Still don't have the consistency I need though, as my next run for time only was 7.91 / 1.73, even though I did everything exactly the same. What's up with that :confused:?
Track conditions
Traction!!!
weather!
Not staging the same. Just a 1/2 deeper staged changes ET & 60ft

The 60ft variance is the clue to traction problems
1.64 // 1.73

Al

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the right attitude here. Just because the guy had a .000 light and .05 off, you could've won with a .04 light and dead on your dial or anything in between.
I am just being realistic about it. I have yet to get the consistency to run right on my dial in. Besides, he backed off since he knew he had the win. He is usually only .01-.02 seconds off and I knew the only chance I had was to beat him on the tree. Can't beat a .000 :no:

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Track conditions
Traction!!!
weather!
Not staging the same. Just a 1/2 deeper staged changes ET & 60ft

The 60ft variance is the clue to traction problems
1.64 // 1.73

Al

Al, I agree :yes:. But I was very consistent for 8 runs last week at a different track, so I am just trying to figure out why so much variance yesterday.

BTW, is it hot there yet :devil:. When are you going to make it out here to cool off?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
BTW, is it hot there yet :devil:. When are you going to make it out here to cool off?
Rain rain rain!!
not sure when I am coming.

We might do the Thanksgiving week.

Nothing is nailed down.

AL

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Come on up to the No Box race at Norwalk the 1st week of October. They do about 4-500 cars and pay 2000 friday, 5000 sat and sunday for a $99 entry for the weekend. Can't wait. That's my final race of the season. Can't wait to yank the box out of the car. Dave

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I am just being realistic about it. I have yet to get the consistency to run right on my dial in. Besides, he backed off since he knew he had the win. He is usually only .01-.02 seconds off and I knew the only chance I had was to beat him on the tree. Can't beat a .000 :no:
I don't doubt him backing off, but generally it would go the other way...if he thought he had you covered, he would "hold" aka dial a slower time then he's capable of, and dump up top. He also wouldn't go after the tree like that either, so my guess is he jumped at it after seeing you go red.

Like the others said, .000 light .05 over is nothing to write home about. I could have cut a decent .035 light and ran .014 over the dial and sent him packing.

Consistency has a lot to do with everything. Traction, stage routine, driving routine, air/fuel ratio, etc. My low compression pump gas engine is effected by weather greatly. So, I tune my car with shoe polish on the window:turn:

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Not too many racers plan for a perfect light. Most of the time it is just luck to hit it perfect. Just remember, .001 less and it will be RED. I'd set up on a .02 and sit on that all day and dial the car a bit better, or hold one, if your car is that consistant. Most aren't. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't doubt him backing off, but generally it would go the other way...if he thought he had you covered, he would "hold" aka dial a slower time then he's capable of, and dump up top. He also wouldn't go after the tree like that either, so my guess is he jumped at it after seeing you go red.

Consistency has a lot to do with everything. Traction, stage routine, driving routine, air/fuel ratio, etc. My low compression pump gas engine is effected by weather greatly. So, I tune my car with shoe polish on the window:turn:

He actually told me he backed off on the top end, just going by what he said. He also staged much earlier and deeper than he intended to, so that helped his RT. He is currently second in the Summit Series here, so he knows what he is doing.

As for consistency, I am getting better but still have a ways to go. This was only my second bracket race ever, and I have only made about 60 pases since I got the car and about 25 with the new motor, so I am still on the steep part of the learning curve. I appreciate all the comments and feedback. :yes::yes:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not too many racers plan for a perfect light. Most of the time it is just luck to hit it perfect. Just remember, .001 less and it will be RED. I'd set up on a .02 and sit on that all day and dial the car a bit better, or hold one, if your car is that consistant. Most aren't. Dave
I don't know where you race, but around here .02 light might get you past first round if you run dead on. I used to set up for nothing worse than a .010 light. At the bigger bracket races, I'd have to go tighter.

Most of the fast cars, dial for .01 or .02 slower than they actually run and play with it on the big end. It's all about knowing where to catch the other car and how much to lift just to nudge by.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I race at Norwalk and I would set up on a .02 when I run a box in TT. When elims kick in it gets a little quicker and you need to dial right. I usually don't hold anything unless I'm running No Box. Because I'm usually the faster car 99% of the time. Some nights the NB cars are deadlier than the box cars. But this racer was talking about not having a chance because the other racer had a perfect light. I have a few a season and don't necessarily win the round. You don't know it's perfect till you get the ticket. That's why being able to rely on the car is a big help if you know how to dial. It'll sometimes make up for a bad light. If he would've had an .03 light and run .01 off, it would've been a heck of a race. Maybe the .001 would be on the trailer and he'd have a huge smile on his face. Practice makes almost perfect. It does make you better. Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts