Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a jeep and he rebuilt the 304. for some reason he used moly rings on the new pistons instead of steel.and the rings are not seating well.....how long does it take to seat moly rings? is there a special procedure?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
doesn't take super long time, not sure in terms of mileage but if the block wasn't honed with the correct stones then the rings will never seat.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Took mine a year to seal in my 350, ill neber use them on a street engine again honed correctly or not.
a year???? wow:eek:

I used speedo pro plasma molys in my 383 for my pickup, after breaking in the cam I drove it on city streets and freeways, up hills and down varying the RPMs(about 100 miles) and the next day changed the oil and drove it 140 miles towing a small 6x12 uhaul trailer with my big @$$ snap on tool box to my new job. If they weren't seated by then they never would be.:D Never used any oil and never smoked.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Okay....So How in the heck can you tell ?...I'm a first time builder. I've been driving on weekends after a new build, 327 bored .30 over...My engine doesn't smoke at all...Oil is still as clean as it was the when I put it in...I've only drivin the car..Maybe 100 miles or so....When and how would I know if the ring have seated ??.What is it suppose to run like before and after break in ??...................??:confused::confused:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Okay....So How in the heck can you tell ?...I'm a first time builder. I've been driving on weekends after a new build, 327 bored .30 over...My engine doesn't smoke at all...Oil is still as clean as it was the when I put it in...I've only drivin the car..Maybe 100 miles or so....When and how would I know if the ring have seated ??.What is it suppose to run like before and after break in ??...................??:confused::confused:
do a compression test or a leak down test ............ see if the cylinders will hold the air if it runs " like a champ " then the rings have seated or sealed up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts