Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Any issues with a 4-speed?

Pan looks great. I use a morroso pan with some problems with turning and rubbing the notch.

Dave
67 Nova boy
I've got a TH350, but I can't see that there would be a problem with a 4-speed. Maybe some of the guys with 4-speeds could confirm this.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bill,
After seeing first hand the potential disaster from a common rear sump pan being crunched and losing oil, fighting the front sump problem for 3 months and then finding this solution, I am happy to share any info with others. :yes:

Just mention my name to Kevin, he will remember. He should still have the drawing (to scale) I sent and can work from that. If not I can send you the Adobe file. Just let him know if you want it with or without a notch. FYI, Canton has a similar pan, but only for two-piece rear mains. Check their website under road race pans for SBC.
I just bought one from Kevco. They had one ready to go. He said they have been selling more and more of them. The notch isn't in the one I got.

I think the price was under $250 with the pick up I needed. Great service. I highly recommend them. :yes:

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
I just bought one from Kevco. They had one ready to go. He said they have been selling more and more of them. The notch isn't in the one I got.

I think the price was under $250 with the pick up I needed. Great service. I highly recommend them. :yes:

Is it for a stock front clip?

Can you post a picture and provide the part# for the pan without the notch?

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Is it for a stock front clip?

Can you post a picture and provide the part# for the pan without the notch?
Bill, I believe this is the same pan I have on my 67, which has a stock front clip. I say this because I had Kevin put a notch in mine for the center link and found the pan would have cleared it fine without the notch. I have put probably 2000 miles on the new motor and pan now without any problems.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Bill I bought the same pan from Kevco a few months back for my 66 with a stock front clip, Kevin no longer puts the notch in the pan and it fits like a dream. Money well spent IMO. If you need the part number let me know and I can dig it out of the receipt pile. :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Bill..

I have been totally, awesomely, tubluarly, cohesively, happy with every Kevko pan I have ever ordered..

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Did I miss something? What pan are you replacing...and why?

When I bought the car it had a Milodon deeeeeeeeep sump that leaked like a butchered pig. I found quite a few cracked weld's on it.
Replaced it with a Moroso, not quite as deeeeeep of a sump but still deep. After it was on the car about 2 months it sprung a mysterious leak on one of the welds, there was not a single scrape mark on the pan, so that ruled out that I might have hit something. Had it tigged and a "skid plate" put around where the crack occured.
The pan has always made me nervous with the 3" ground clearance

The Kevco pan is giving me an extra 1.5 inches of clearance, and when I replace my front tires with a 45 series instead of a 40 series I'll pick up another 1/2 an inch. 2 more inches of clearance will let me breath easier when I'm driving.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Ah...I see. My car had the moroso pan on it when I first bought it, that was one of the first things that I changed out.

Here's my Canton...haven't gotten it off the ramps yet, so I can't say what the ground clearance is yet. Fingers crossed... If it doesn't look like enough I may be calling Kevco myself. I bought taller tires too...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oil Pan Ground Clearance

Hello All, Newbie Here

Been checking the site and found this thread.

I am installing an 05 Trailblazer 4.2L Engine and 4L60E Trans into my 67.

What is the Life / Death ground clearance for the 67?

This engine has a HUGE Aluminum oil pan with a Front Sump, the drain plug on the bottom extends another inch below the pan sump, will probably have to plug it and move it to another location for sure.

The trans has a deep pan too, so I guess I need the clearance there, assuming that it should be the same too.

What is the absolute minimum ground clearance the car should have for safety's sake, and that one I can live with without any worries?

Thanks,

Dusty

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I would have to go measure but 4-4.5 inches at the lowest point is I think how low my old pan was.I will measure mine tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello

Thanks for the Oil Pan ground clearance inputs.

I guess I will shoot for about 4 inches or less to be sure.

Thanks Again,

Dusty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Again

One other question Please

What is the measurement from the floor or road surface to the bottom of the subframe structure "not" at the bottom of the brackets for the sway bar mounting points?

The reason I am asking is because, I have the vehicle on jack stands and it is not at the proper curb weight yet, and won't be for quite some time yet.

This measurement will enable me to check the ground clearance that I will have before I get the car finished and on the ground with everything installed and ready for the road.

Thanks Again

Dusty

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
I have a Kevco pan and not to happy with it, first off it doesn't want to seal, had to modify it for starter fitment and the thing had so much metal residue that it took hours to clean. If you buy one good luck:eek:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts