Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry about the delay in responding, but June was a crazy month for me. Started with my wife in the hospital for a few days, a high school grad, a college grad, a week long conference, then last weekend sitting on a well north of Paso Robles. Everyone is doing fine and I am actually pulling the old motor today :yes:. With the holiday weekend, it will probably a few more days before I get the new one in. I will post pics as soon as I do.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Got Pics!

Finally got the motor in with the new pan. It fits with room to spare. As you can see the notch for the center link could be lower and may not be needed at all. I'll have to see how it clears with the wheel at full turn, but looks like I will have plenty of room. Note that the oil pan has about the same ground clearance os the trans pan :yes::D.

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Finally got the motor in with the new pan. It fits with room to spare. As you can see the notch for the center link could be lower and may not be needed at all. I'll have to see how it clears with the wheel at full turn, but looks like I will have plenty of room. Note that the oil pan has about the same ground clearance os the trans pan :yes::D.
This is one of those good news, bad news things.
Good News= I'm glad to see it worked out like ya planned, and I really like the way it fits.

Bad News= Now I gotta get me one

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It will be a couple more days before I get it fired up. I'll give an update after I get a chance to drive it.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update

Finally got the motor fired last night, it sounds good:yes::D:D. It took way longer to get everything sorted out than I expected, but that's another story. Drove it several miles, including some sharp turns, no clearance problems of any kind. I think it would be fine without the notch. Sorry, but I fogot to check the ground clearnace with everything else going on. I will do that and post it, but I looks to be enough to stay out of trouble.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Finally got the motor fired last night, it sounds good:yes::D:D. It took way longer to get everything sorted out than I expected, but that's another story. Drove it several miles, including some sharp turns, no clearance problems of any kind. I think it would be fine without the notch. Sorry, but I fogot to check the ground clearnace with everything else going on. I will do that and post it, but I looks to be enough to stay out of trouble.
what size are your front tires? mine are m/t 24 x ??. I was thinking of switching to the 26's to get another inch of clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Tire size

what size are your front tires? mine are m/t 24 x ??. I was thinking of switching to the 26's to get another inch of clearance.
I just changed over to 205/65-15 (25.5" diameter) to get more clearance. I have 6" rims with 3.5" BS and wouldn't go any bigger on the diameter. In fact the tires do rub at full turn and I will go to a smaller tire when I replace these.

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Oil pan clearance pics

I measured the ground clearance to the pan, about 4.5" :D:D. I am very happy with this pan! :yes::yes::D. The only thing I would do different is leave the notch out or at least make it smaller. I just wanted to be sure it cleared the center link once I got the motor in. I put 6 quarts in (including filter), M55HV pump and Kevco pickup with bracket that bolts to the pump. Oil pressure is steady at about 50 psi, and I may try 5-1/2 quarts when I change oil just to avoid windage. Some pics:

The oil pan is about same height as the trans pan

from the front (left rear tire is off the ground, but right is not. Ride height is correct)

Car not to scale :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Bill,
After seeing first hand the potential disaster from a common rear sump pan being crunched and losing oil, fighting the front sump problem for 3 months and then finding this solution, I am happy to share any info with others. :yes:

Just mention my name to Kevin, he will remember. He should still have the drawing (to scale) I sent and can work from that. If not I can send you the Adobe file. Just let him know if you want it with or without a notch. FYI, Canton has a similar pan, but only for two-piece rear mains. Check their website under road race pans for SBC.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts