Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard from a few fellow hotrodders that they've been at local meets and some Joe starts questioning their ride and after bragging about it, like, "Ya I have a new 502 Crate engine from GM in my 69 Nova" (this is only an example) the guy they're chatting with writes them a notice to take their ride for an E test (emission test). He ends up being a DOT officer and the kicker is the newer of the two is what the E test goes by!:eek: A 69 Nova with a 2009 502 must meet 09 E test standards, it makes me glad I have all older BB's. It's so disappointing that they feel so necessary to go out of their way to bother folks in the hobby!:mad: So be careful who you're bragging to in Ontario.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You have some crazy law up there.

That could be a major law suit waiting to happen.

I bet GM legal would like to know about this! You can't put present laws on replacement parts for older vehicles or engines.

Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I believe the law here in Ontario goes by the year of the engine and not the actual age of the car.
You can not go by the year of a replacement engine.
you have to go by the application of the engine.

I could understand if you installed a 2009 Model engine.

not a new replacement engine designed for a Early model.

I am sure SEMA & GM legal would like to know about this.

Al

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'd say someones's got their facts mixed up.
Heres's a good link that spells out most of the law:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_980361_e.htm
I'd say most of cars will fall under the "hot rod" designation; I haven't had my car plated for several years so could someone tell me if there is special plates for our vehecles.
From what I understand it doesn't matter what engine you have but it must have whatever emissions equipment that was available when the car was built. Pre smog years should only need a pcv.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i just got my 67 safetied a few weeks ago and even though i have a newer engine all i had to get was the same emissions that the car had when new! i only had breathers so had to fit a pcv valve and hook it up to a suction port on the intake, the guy even helped me do it as he thought the car was cool!

·
6,407 Posts
i just got my 67 safetied a few weeks ago and even though i have a newer engine all i had to get was the same emissions that the car had when new! i only had breathers so had to fit a pcv valve and hook it up to a suction port on the intake, the guy even helped me do it as he thought the car was cool!
There's another Ontario in the world. It's in Canada:).

I wish it was the engine that dictated the pollution requirements for cars. I'd be putting an older engine in a newer body. Then I could have a modern car with a modified engine and not have to worry about it passing emmision tests.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's another Ontario in the world. It's in Canada:).

I wish it was the engine that dictated the pollution requirements for cars. I'd be putting an older engine in a newer body. Then I could have a modern car with a modified engine and not have to worry about it passing emmision tests.
You me and the rest of the world!:yes:

I have to find out more about this, it could be more like putting an LT1 in my 69 Nova and the ministry saying, the engine has to it year of emissions, and not necessarily the replacement crate engines.

·
Registered
145 Posts
an lt1 would be fine! we recently fitted a new stlye Ls427 in a 63 split window vette (in 2 vettes actually!) and we didnt need cats fitted or anything, in fact the guy that does all our highend appraisals (jim cowan in st catherines) was one of the top guys at the mto for a lot of years and all our advice comes from him, he is a top notch guy and his advice is bang on legal wise, i can find his company name for you if you would like to speak to him, mike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had someone up here giving me a hard time about my motor too, i run fuelie heads with a non egr intake, the story goes that he had a "buddy" doing the same thing and the MTO pulled his papers until he made the changes.

Illegal-doing something wrong an getting caught
Legal-doing something wrong and not getting caught

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The laws are not very black and white, I no we have the "Hotrod" clause, where if you've modified a vehicle the E test standards are different. I had an S10 with a V8 conversion and if I was stop by a road side E test I was walking home, because the tested it, as stock V6, after pulling teeth with MTO they gave me my plates back. I threw in the towel trying to build modern cars after my 89 IROC-Z was tested 4 times in 8 years in less then 1500KM or 1000 miles during that time period.

It's my only major beef with this hobby, your guilty until you prove otherwise in court. The racing law where they take your vehicle for 10 days if you exceed 50km over the posted limit along with a 4 digit fine. I'm not sure how that constitutes racing!:no:

Sorry for the rant, I'm tired of paying for the idiots who drive like they're the only ones on the road during rush hour!:mad: I'm not saying street racing is OK, but 4pm on the 400 series highways is not the time to see how fast you can go with your buddy. At 2am, in the middle of no where, the police tend to ask you to disperse rather then go to jail and if you pack it up it ends at that. Try again and you deserve what you get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i agree, those 400 highways are ridiculous, it's always entertaining to see the first snow fall, it has been scientifically proven that the first snow fall erases the part of the brain that remembers how to drive :D, i don't think there is a black and white anywhere in the government, just shades of gray.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts