Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided my 1969 project car wasn't worth the money I knew I would have in one when I got it to where I wanted it to be a million years into the future. So it's about to hit the market ASAP. In the mean time I picked up this beauty from 1quik70 (forum member) in Indiana. In my 600 mile journey from Arkansas to Indiana to buy it I stopped to spend a little time with a friend in Nashville who was getting deployed to Afghanistan the following Tuesday. We went to a bar where the girls danced on the bar like a Coyote Ugly type deal. We told one girl Chase's story about being deployed and she basically accosted him in front of the whole bar hahaha! She was always shoving cards in our pocket for free admission to a 'house of I'll repute'...to say the least. The name on the cards was 'Jocelyn'...due to the fact of what kind of cards the name was on and the fact I look at the car as a kind of dark, sultry kind of sexy...that is now the Novas name!

Car facts:
1970 Nova
Quarter have been replaced
PPG Hot Rod Black Paint
New bumpers, grille, trim, bezels, lenses
New 3/8" fuel lines from tank
New brake lines, prop block, master cylinder, line lock, and booster
New front drilled and slotted rotors and calipers
New ball joints, control arm bushings etc.
3 way adjustable shocks on all 4 corners
4" fiberglass cowl hood (full lift off) on custom rails
396 bored 0.030 over
580 solid lift cam
750 CFM Holley Carb
Holley Black electric fuel pump
31x19 aluminum radiator
Dual electric fans
MSD pro billet
MSD 6AL
TH350 w/ 3500 stall
Derale remote trans cooler with fan
Pistol grip quarter stick
8.5" 10 bolt w/ 411s
Moser Axles
Carrier Girdle
Cal-Tracs bars
New door panels (not installed yet)
Restored factory gauge cluster
5" Autometer tach w/ shift light
Autometer water and oil gauges

I haven't changed much so far but I will post the small things on a reply. Now is the challenging part...figuring out how to post pictures using an iPad.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since purchase on 8/11/2012 here is what I have done.

Dremeled the cowl on both sides because it was hitting the wiper cowl
Put on a 14" black breather that fits the car quite well
Fixed a broken exhaust bracket
Fixed two of the quick fasteners on the hood
And last but not least drove it about 10 miles total before the transmission shelled on me. 1quik70 was honest the about the transmission having issues and shaved a little off his cost when he figured it out. So this wasn't unexpected by any means. I am now in the battle of what to do as far as a replacement. Options are rebuild the TH350 or buy a rebuilt TH400 from my brother-in-law. I am leaning towards the TH400 but any opinions you guys have will be appreciated.

Last but not least, this build thread won't be as active as some of the others due to a slow flow of extra cash. I will be updating and doing things for sure, but at a turtles pace! I figured a heads up would be courteous ;)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Nice looking car you got there!!!

I would definitely hit the 400 transmission vice the 350. Maybe in the future, you could step-up to a 4L60 or 4L80 and get some nice cruzing rpms out of that BBC.. Just make sure that 400 is built with some Red Alto plates and steels since they hold up better for applications such as yours.

Are you missing the drivers side rear windshield moulding or did you blacken it out?

Just curious.

Dan

·
Registered
810 Posts
nice Nova! I would like to see a pic of where the upper radiator hose attaches, and also what size is that radiator and how is it mounted? Also what car did the tilt column come from?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ovrdrive - the rear chrome was missing until yesterday. I have a 72 parts car that has some chrome on it that is in miraculous shape for how rusted some of the rest of it is. I'm not entirely happy with how it looks though. It kind of pulled away from the side, like the chrome had a warp to it or something. I have a friend who may be able to help me though. I'm thinking 400 on the transmission too. Just seems like a better fit for me.

@ccvair - I'll get some pics of the radiator for you. It is a 31x19 radiator. The entire core support is custom to make it work. The radiator is actually centered front to back in the support now so the radiator cap is inaccessible. So at the thermostat housing is the new fill point. Conviniently it's also the highest point of the motor. The entire bottom of the support is cut out with a tube frame built around the radiator. The transmission cooler mounts underneath tucked up around the hump area for the axle. It's a derale unit with its own fan that runs on the same switch.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ccvair - here are some pictures on the radiator and mods involved in fitting it in there.

[/IMG]

You can see in that picture that the radiator cap is blocked by the top of the core support. The fill point is above the thermostat.

[/IMG]

This is looking up from underneath the front bumper. It is a little dark of a picture. Maybe you can see where the lower hood latch support has been cut and only bolts to the top of the grill, and down where the grille filler and grille come together. No spot left for the bottom boot.

[/IMG]

Just another picture of the bottom, you can actually see the tubing framing around the bottom.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got in my crossmember for a TH400 and bought a rebuilt TH400 with a 2500 stall today. Going to be a month or so before I get to put it in though. I work at a nuclear plant here local and go into outage on night shift about 18 hrs from now for 30 days. Won't be much going on till mid October other than work, eat, and sleep.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Glad to see your working away on it. I guessed right when i figured I wouldn't have time for the car any more! I've driven my pickup exactly once since the move.

The radiator will tip towards the motor after the top jam nuts are taken loose. Once the top clears the core support the whole unit lifts out. There are two brackets on the bottom of the radiator with 1/2" studs sticking out to locate it in the rubber bushings on the tube frame.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Tyler for catching back up on the toy. If you have any other old pictures, no matter how random they are, left from what you did to get it to this point before I bought it from you...i'd appreciate them. Just to add to the begining of my folder I am keeping on it. Hopefully around mid October I'll be coming off of night shift and be able to put the new transmission in there. Outside of that my only goals for the near future are small, like putting in the door panels, tinting the windows, headliner, beauty rings...etc. All big mods will come after I pay it off in April or so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Tyler for catching back up on the toy. If you have any other old pictures, no matter how random they are, left from what you did to get it to this point before I bought it from you...i'd appreciate them. Just to add to the begining of my folder I am keeping on it. Hopefully around mid October I'll be coming off of night shift and be able to put the new transmission in there. Outside of that my only goals for the near future are small, like putting in the door panels, tinting the windows, headliner, beauty rings...etc. All big mods will come after I pay it off in April or so.
I'll put together a photobucket folder and let you have everything I've got. I kept pretty good photo documentation until the very end. But most of the major milestones are documented. Give me some time to get it all together, I'm stupid busy for the next few weeks.

I would highly recommend NOT tinting that glass!!! I tinted it all once all ready and ended up taking it all back off. The quarter glass is fairly pitted from the idiots (Me and the old man) not putting it when the quarters were welded in. Plus you can tell the door glass is pretty scratched. All of those little imperfections came out ten fold when the tint was put on. If your donor car has nice clean glass, I would say tint it and put it in the 70!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tyler, I understand the busy deal. Take your time. I noticed the scratches and pits. My donor car has good glass with no scratches on it so I was going to do just that. Do you know what width those rims were? 7's or 8's? I am wanting to pick up some beauty rings soon and I need to have that figured out by then. Also that grill is an aftermarket SS grill without the emblem correct?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The wheels should be 8's! I wish you would have mentioned beauty rings when you were at the house. I had a complete set sitting in the attic of the garage, I just think the car looks better without them. I ran it forever with no rings or caps. A far as I know that is the SS grille with no emblems you are correct.

Every time I look at this thread i get sick to my stomach...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the car without the rings, and even the pictures you gave me without rings or centers. But I figured if I seen a decent set of rings for it at a swap meet I would pick them up just in case I got the bright idea.

Don't get sick over it man! You will come out of your adventure being able to build anything you want! Just maybe not right now, but that'll make it all the more sweet when it happens!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So in the midst of my 72 hrs weeks on night shift I did a little work on the car tonight...indirectly. I took the windows out of my 69 to trade out with this one. I didn't get the quarter windows out yet though. One is pitted bad and the door panels are still installed. I think I can use one of the quarter windows from the 69 and one from my 72 parts car. Going to have to wait 4 more days for the next day off to continue the window swap.

Another way of indirectly working on Jocelyn was by getting my 69 running again, that way I can get it out if the shop! With it out if the shop I can start on my transmission swap in Jocelyn! The 69 has a 383 stroker and was having starter grinding issues. I'd shimmed it 10 ways to sundown and still had a grind. New bolts, new starter, new everything and still had the issues. So we took the leap and ground on it. Knocked about a 32nd off of where the starter meets the block and it starts like a dream. First time I've ever heard of grinding on a starter as opposed to shimming but it worked! After that we put the trans in it, bolted up the exhaust, timed it, and she is ready to rumble!

So hopefully very soon the transmission swap will begin and she will be back in the road!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I'm back off night shift for a while and back in the nova! Today I removed the exhaust and driveshaft in preparation for swapping transmissions bright and early tomorrow. I also did a few piddle things like install the glove box and what not. After tomorrow she has a chance to be back on the road...pending I don't need the driveshaft to be shortened.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well no transmission stab. The TH400 torque converter didn't mate to the flywheel. Boo....so now I'm just going to go to the drag races instead of pouting!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking like all things are starting to point towards a transmission stab next Wednesday! I have my new Hughes 2,500 stall converter and a Lokar Midnight Series Electronic Kickdown Kit sitting in waiting. I am also about to order some more Lokar Midnight Series stuff for under the hood today and hopefully have it here by Wednesday so I can put it all on at the same time. Thinking on getting the engine oil dipstick, transmission dipstick, throttle cable, and throttle cable bracket. All the black braided stuff under the hood will just aid in the dark, murderous look I'm shooting for.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts