Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys I am still in the planning stages but feel I am getting somewhere.

I would like to have my motor in the car and able to just start.Not drive or anything.Just fire up.I have been working on car for close to 3 years and have thousands of dollars in it.And being able to start it would be sweet.

I am going to be using a stock gen 5 454 at first.I am going to converting it from TBI to carb and from serpentine to a old style short water pump with the v belt setup....(the car has no power steering or a/c so I don't need that stuff.Plus the blower needs the short water pump setup)

Will the engine cool still cool alright if the water is flowin the opposite direction?

Another thing is the tranny.It will have a torque convertor filled with fluid in it.Will I need to install a plug in the tailshaft and fill the trans with fluid or will it be alright leaving it empty?

I am planning on running my fuel line along the frame rail and coming up right behind the engine and coming into the carb from the firewall side.(holley blue mounted in the rear of car)I know you cannot attach the fuel line to firewall.So how are you guys doing this.Basicly I am trying to keep the engine compartment uncluttered.Planning on installing the fuel pressure regulator underneath the car mounted on the subframe connector.Does this sound like it will work?

Another thing is I am going to be using an old mallory dizzy.It is the small cap type.And it has two wires coming out of it.I got it with the super charger setup and have no instructions.One wire is black and one red.I am assuming just a simple ground and positive 12 volt are all I need.Or will have to hook up the msd box to it?

Thanks for any help guys.Hopefully be the end of summer I will have this accomplished.I bought a performer RPM intake and monster tach with a shift light and recall at a swap meet yesterday and it got the wheels a turnin in my head.....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
dont want to ruin your day but i would wait til you had the drive train hooked up as with no driveshaft and only the trans yoke in it could lead to an accident dont want to see or hear that you already have so much money in it that it could go up in smoke due to an accident :eek: sorry but i would wait and just visualize what its going to sound like :yes:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Acctaully I was just going to have a plug in it.I am going to be using a 1350 yoke and I don't have one.So until then I was just planning on a plug.

If this is a bad idea then I won't do it.I have seen people start engines on a stand and also just sitting on the floor.I was more or less just wanting to see if the engine even runs.Along with check some other things out.

I thought about how to check to see if the trans was in nuetral.....

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
its up to you if you want to but the trans in park just move the shift lever all they way forward it should click this should be park just be safe about it :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts