Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not found much info on the Air Conditioning on the 3rd Gen cars. I have a 68 Nova parts car with A/C and have thought about removing it to install on my 72 Nova. I know the dash would be different, but the A/C box on the firewall and the other parts are what I was curious about. Was the same parts used throughout the 68-72 run?

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That's a risk, primarily because the '68's are so unique that I doubt it would swap over very easily. Perhaps a '69+ would be more compatible....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Was the 72 a factory AC car? If not, the cutout on the firewall will not match up for the factory AC system and you'll be missing the accommodations for the fresh air and kick-panel flaps that control re-circulation mode. You'll also be missing wiring and duct accommodations. I am not sure how many components were '68 specific; clearly the dash controls and vent locations aren't the same as '69+. Some things may carry over, but even if the 72 was a factory AC car, I would look carefully at the '68 system to see how it's different.

There is a user on ls1tech.com named 69ghost that cut and modified a non-AC '69 to use a factory 69 AC system. He might be able to advise on how he made that happen - it was major surgery.

I have a 70 with factory AC. The factory service manual was really helpful for understanding the components and how everything works. I got my system up and running with an LS swap, using a new Denso compressor and parallel flow condenser with the factory ac suitcase, evaporator, recalibrated POA valve, and dash/vent controls. I got it running toward the end of the summer and it was working great but I haven't had a chance to test it in really high ambient temps yet.

I have a thread here with all the info: https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtop.../www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3096

Good luck. This is a good project to thing about before summer!

·
Registered
71 Posts
3rd gen AC

I also did this crazy task to my 71 SS. I spent over a year hunting for, and obtaining every single factory component and piece to turn my non AC 71 to a pure factory appearing air conditioned car from all the interior components to the firewall, to the engine brackets and hoses, to the front condenser...including the rubber seal across the top of the core support. I even went so far as to get the two rivets for the clamp that hold the air lines to the inner fenderwell. It was quite a tedious undertaking to ensure absolute accuracy. The biggest task was welding in the firewall section from a junked AC car to my car. I was so crazy for details that I even went over the top on another detail that I won’t disclose here. Also, the interior dash had to be cut and welded to put in place the passenger side vent. Again, a lot of work and research went into this. Would I do this again? Hell no!!! Crazy money to do it as well, but I’m a purist and even the most discerning eye probably would never be able to tell that my 71 wasn’t born with factory AC. Do yourself a favor, don’t do it, but if you do, I’d be glad to help. I have a lot of doubles of AC components now for the interior and firewall if you need. PM me for my number if you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also did this crazy task to my 71 SS. I spent over a year hunting for, and obtaining every single factory component and piece to turn my non AC 71 to a pure factory appearing air conditioned car from all the interior components to the firewall, to the engine brackets and hoses, to the front condenser...including the rubber seal across the top of the core support. I even went so far as to get the two rivets for the clamp that hold the air lines to the inner fenderwell. It was quite a tedious undertaking to ensure absolute accuracy. The biggest task was welding in the firewall section from a junked AC car to my car. I was so crazy for details that I even went over the top on another detail that I won’t disclose here. Also, the interior dash had to be cut and welded to put in place the passenger side vent. Again, a lot of work and research went into this. Would I do this again? Hell no!!! Crazy money to do it as well, but I’m a purist and even the most discerning eye probably would never be able to tell that my 71 wasn’t born with factory AC. Do yourself a favor, don’t do it, but if you do, I’d be glad to help. I have a lot of doubles of AC components now for the interior and firewall if you need. PM me for my number if you like.
Oh, I didn't know the actual firewall was different too, that is a little more involved but not impossible.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You need some serious help my friend!! With your mindset, we'll have to get you a Yenko Deuce so your attention to detail has an ROI!! :D :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts