Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this might be crazy but...

I get a lot of satisfaction out of turning an idea into something that actually works... I always have these ideas to save money and be more effective… Should be an engineer but can’t do the math…

Ok anyway… My car in getting painted right now, so the idea for when it gets out, is to add my own designed A/C. So an A/C system is only four steps compression, condensation, expansion, and cooling. The compressor can be practically universal so I want to choose a small one to take up less under hood space. The bracket will be very easy to fabricate, metal and some holes. The condenser can go in front of the radiator or anywhere it can fit and get air flow. This can also be universal. It then goes through a drier, again universal. Then to a expansion valve which I need to do some more research on than but can’t be hard. Next to a coil and a fan, this conditions the air for the cabin then starts back over.

I have plenty of tubing and fittings due to my job. The compressor, condenser, drier, expansion, and coil with a fan can all be universal. Mounting is just a matter of creativity. With the mounting of the coil being most tedious.

So the question is are, there any reasons why this can’t be done.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
can be done, but you are also going to need to modify the box and vents, and don't forget safety switches.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well this might be crazy too but, I was picuting the coil behind the dash with electric fans on it just useingcabin air then pushing it down towards the floor maybe with some ducting with smaller fans what are the saftey switches for?

·
Registered
577 Posts
the safety switches are high and low pressure cutoff switches designed to turn off the compressor if: the low side pressure is too low which would damage the compressor (indicates lack of refrigerant in the system), and the high side pressure switch which is designed to turn off the compressor if the high side pressure reaches a certain predetermined unsafe level which might cause the hoses or other parts of the system to blow.

You might be better off looking into sourcing the major parts of the system that are already designed by GM engineers to work together from one type of car and then just having the hoses custom made so that you can route them where you like.

For instance my brother is using his factory evap core and a new replacement receiver/drier in his '80 camaro, along with a serpentine drive ac compressor and a new condenser from an '89 IROC camaro and then just modifying high side pressure hose to meet up with his condenser. The suction and discharge hose assembly he got from the car in the salvage yard that he also got the compressor and serpentine drive brackets from. Other than the one hose the entire system consists of factory parts that you could purchase at any auto parts store and it was designed to work together, so you know it will work.

Hope that helps,

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you are not experienced with AC systems, a kit may be best. Complete kits minus the compressor can be had for around $1000. These are engineed to work in your car.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
being cheep sometimes means wasting alot of time
^^^^ QUOTE OF THE DAY!!!!! :D :D :D

Been there, done that. I'm fabbing my own exhaust from a pre-bent Summit kit right now. Sure, I only spent $160 on the entire system... but I've been working on it for over 8 man hours and I'm still not done! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
609 Posts
cheap can have a few meanings.

cheap=Junk
cheap= good deal
cheap= not willing to spend extra for right thing
cheap *****=doesnt tip well or pay depts
cheap= spending more time to save a few $$$ and then you end up with same thing, but now you have less money and a whole bunch of man hours in it........TIME=MONEY

I have done done all of the above at some time, im sure we all have.

and always remember
junk+good deal= doing it twice

sorry guys, been a flat rate tech my whole life, when your job and reputation is on the line there is no room for cheap short cuts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts