Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The A/C in my 79 wasn't blowing out of the instrument panel vents. After going through the service manual several times, I found a broken vacuum line leading to the diverter door diaphragm which unfortunately is located behind the heater case & core assembly. So, since I have to remove it anyway, I'll be replacing the heater core too. I've searched previous posts and have a pretty good idea of what the job involves. I've replaced cores in other cars I've had but not one with A/C.

My questions are do I have to disconnect all the vacuum lines and the temperature cable to remove the case or is there room to maneuver with them connected? Do I remove the lines from the case end or from the control panel on the dash? Are there any electrical connections on the case that need to be disconnected, I don't think I saw any?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Mike

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd pull them off the dash control. It's usually easier. I'm not far from you so holler if you need in person guidance.

You realize you can splice the line right?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Knuckle Dragger, I appreciate the offer. The line seems to have broken off where it connects to the diaphragm. So far I haven't been able to get my hand behind the heater case to find the connection point and repair the line. You gave me an idea though. I may be able to get a little more clearance by loosening the heater case bolts, moving it around a bit and avoid having to do a complete removal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts