Chevy Nova Forum banner
261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The engine and trans were installed as an assembled unit. A little tricky in places as the distributor needed to be removed for clearance,

finally fitted and several hours adding, cables,belts,hoses,brackets, clamps, alternator, pullys and fan.

one item I was concerned about was the trans crossmember and mount. A previous owner had been running a TH400 and the crossmember was still there. I am using a 700R4 and it was a bolt in with just a little elongating of the mount hole.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After a long wait for upper control arm bumpers they arrived Dec 23,just as I was going away for 8 days. Upon return the priority was to get the springs in and finish off the front end. I had two coil spring compressors ,a snap on and a Moog. After 5 attempts using the Snap on I gave up. I could not get the lower shoe our once the spring was installed. I had to modify the Moog as it was designed for coils going into shock towers (Ford). Once modified, the job was done and final front end assembly complete.

the shocks are KYB, painted orange to resemble Koni.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was there a 64 Nova two cop car if so I think I got one [email protected] I found it up north and I found a build sheet in the back seat it says that it has cop front hubs and a locking glove box you can also see they patched a hole in the roof it should be ready to run for the summer Larry Allen cunningham 18345 River Rd three rivers Michigan 49093 thanks would like to know more info about it

·
15,993 Posts
Was there a 64 Nova two cop car if so I think I got one [email protected] I found it up north and I found a build sheet in the back seat it says that it has cop front hubs and a locking glove box you can also see they patched a hole in the roof it should be ready to run for the summer Larry Allen cunningham 18345 River Rd three rivers Michigan 49093 thanks would like to know more info about it
No police package listed, but there is a taxi cab option that included many HD items. Is the car a 4 door? All 1964 Chevy IIs had locking glove boxes. Pictures of the car and the build sheet would help.

Bob

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am no expert in this area, but one never knows as perhaps there might be some government agency that ordered the car (?). It would be interesting to see pictures and the build sheet. I also wonder if a small town somewhere might have used it as a police car? Please post an update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mr. Larry Cunningham - - - - FYI..... you should NEVER post your home address in any forum. This just allows idiots and a$$holes to pester you or worse!! Just trying to help and enlighten you and/or others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I custom ordered a1976 Nova 9C1 coupe, VIN 1X27L6L151238, from Kizzier Chevrolet in Scottsbluff, Nebraska with custom interior, bucket seats, floor shift with console and guages, virtually every option except cruise control and A/C(I wanted more of a hot rod instead of a cruiser). Retrospectively, bad deletions as the car took forever to sell in 1977 to finance my wife's engagement ring. Sticker price was $4400, making it the most expensive Nova they sold that model year! I really didn't want an 85mph speedo! I've been looking for any info on the car for decades. Anyone able to help here?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I custom ordered a1976 Nova 9C1 coupe, VIN 1X27L6L151238, from Kizzier Chevrolet in Scottsbluff, Nebraska with custom interior, bucket seats, floor shift with console and guages, virtually every option except cruise control and A/C(I wanted more of a hot rod instead of a cruiser). Retrospectively, bad deletions as the car took forever to sell in 1977 to finance my wife's engagement ring. Sticker price was $4400, making it the most expensive Nova they sold that model year! I really didn't want an 85mph speedo! I've been looking for any info on the car for decades. Anyone able to help here?
Sounds like an amazing...amazing Nova. What color was it and do you have any pictures you can post?

·
Registered
2 Posts
(Note: Updated 1/9/18) This is the Internet's only list of COPO 9C1 Novas...3 coupes and 19 sedans, three have buckets and the rest with benches, one '74, one '75, one '76, eight '77s, ten '78s, and one of an unknown year. Five of them are in museums...the Los Angeles County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego City Police Museum, the City of Chino CA Police Dept. Museum, and the Rick Hendrick Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC. The manufacturing plants that produced these cars were: Willow Run in Ypsilanti, MI, Van Nuys, CA, and Tarrytown, NY. There were approximately 14,000 built and this list shows only 20 known 9C1 Nova survivors are left (basically 1.5 in a thousand survived). There are none listed on the Team Nova site (which is a big reason why I joined SNS...good call!). There are undoubtedly more, but I will venture a guess and say probably not many more. I recall several 9C1s that were in junkyards in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego (down in the Southbay area near Chula Vista...where most of SD's junkyards are located) around 1983-84, but that was 30 plus years ago and I doubt any of them remain. There was one white 9C1 at Riverside Auto Salvage in Okla City when I visited there in the early '90s when I was searching for 2nd Gen Firebird parts, but it was pretty well picked over by then (I knew it was a 9C1 by its spotlight, rubber floor mat and plugged up radio antenna holes). Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix had a decent and complete white 9C1 4-door that Car Craft magazine spotted in 2006 (in the "Barn Finds" article from Nov. '06)...within 3 months it had been foolishly parted out and is now crushed (I purchased the air cleaner and one remaining UC code 14x7 wheel from it when I visited DVAP in March of '15). There was a white 9C1 parts car listed on CL-Los Angeles in late '15 that had already lost nearly all of its original 9C1-only parts and was basically just a rust-free bodyshell by the time I called about it. It appears that these cars suffered a horribly tragic attrition rate... abused cop cars became abused taxis which became parts cars for coupes, turned into circle track cars, destroyed in Hollywood cop shows (like "Rockford Files", "The Fall Guy" and "Emergency") and movies, used in demolition derbies, or turned into high school beaters...and then 99.9% of those left were turned into scrap metal. The fact that most were nondescript appearing 4-door sedans didn't help save them either, as I'm sure many owners didn't realize what they had and junked them when they needed expensive repairs to their bodies or drivetrains...very few guys put money into plain-jane 4-doors.

Let me know if any of you know of any real 9C1s that can be added to this list, and I will update it as new ones surface. Let me know if I have made any mistakes on the info on your car and I will correct it ASAP. This appears to be the only registry for 9C1 Novas. This post will also hopefully become the main repository for detailed info on these rare and desirable Novas.

Best regards,
Alex Manz

Cars are listed by year:

1. 1974 Sedan, Light Gold Metallic (code 53) with tan bench seat, VIN: 1X69K4L207683. This was the 2nd Nova police car ever built, ordered by a West Coast GM executive to use as a demonstrator for police car ordering officials, then sold to the LA County Sheriff Dept. for use as an unmarked car (former LA Co. vehicle 46892). Has the buildsheet which shows it was ordered under a COPO order and delivered to Arrow Chevrolet in LA two weeks after it was ordered, as well as a document which shows it was a BRASS HAT car ordered for Chevy's LA Zone Office. Sold to a Hollywood film editor at an LA Co. auction in 1982 and spent 32 years hidden in a garage in the Hollywood Hills before being sold to its current owner Alex Manz (aka: "9C1 Beater" on this site). It can be found in the "3rd Gen" section.

2. 1975 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan buckets, VIN: 1X69L5L158268. Former Calif. police car (unknown jurisdiction), has original prisoner cage, restored and sold on Ebay for $6,995.00 in Feb. 2012 to a guy named David Bolender, then immediately resold. See Post #81 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

3. 1976 Sedan, Black with white doors and roof, tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former Chino, CA police car with a show-winning restoration that was performed by retired Chino PD Sgt. Fernando Tomicic before he died from lung cancer in 2007. Featured in the book "Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement Vehicles". See Post #52 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: City of Chino PD. RIP Fernando.

4. 1977 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white doors and roof, black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W168195. Former Columbia, MO police car, partially restored and sold on Ebay on 10/17/13 for $3,050. Chief of Police in Columbia decided that too much money was being wasted on restoring a car to be used in 4th of July parades and ordered it to be sold. Current owner: Unknown.

5. 1977 Sedan, Brown Metallic (code 69) with tan buckets (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7W221430, engine code: CHX. Special ordered from Ramsey Chevy in Bixby, OK by a car enthusiast from Tulsa who raced it successfully in SCCA Solo 2 autocross and rally events against Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. Spent most of its life in Phoenix, wrecked in right front in 2003 and sat for 10 years. Purchased for $400 on CL-Phoenix in Nov. '14 and moved to Columbus, OH in May '15. Buildsheet found above gas tank in June '15. Sold by Alex Manz to an unknown police car collector in Scottsdale, AZ in Feb. '17.

6. 1977 Sedan, Light Blue Metallic (code 22) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W2XXXXX. Purchased new at Bill Krughoff Chevrolet in Mackinaw, IL for the town's chief of police. Has buildsheet and window sticker (see post #40 for the window sticker). Highly optioned car with PW, PDL, A/C, tilt and cruise, and has just 22k original miles. See Posts #37, 40, 173-175, and 192 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown (it was owned by Randy, aka: "COPO 9C1" on this site until '15).

7. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan accents and tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L154139, engine code: CHX. Sold new at Brown and Brown Chevy in Mesa, AZ for use by the Mesa PD as an undercover car, and has its buildsheet which was found above the gas tank. After retiring from the force, it was owned by a Mesa PD detective, then sold to a fire chief. Current owner: Jerry Law ("GJLAW8" on this site).

8. 1977 Sedan, Royal Blue with white painted doors (spec order paint according to the buildsheet which was found under the bottom rear seat cushion) and tan front bench seat with plaid insert (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L134XXX, engine code: CHX. Ordered by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for use at the tiny post in Grimshaw, Alberta (small town of 2,500) and delivered to Haas Automotive Limited. It was ordered without A/C (not needed that far north). Sold at a Canadian govt auction and then spent many years in a salvage yard in Alberta where it was purchased and rescued in 2008. Still has the original drivetrain and all 9C1 equipment. Only Canadian 9C1 Nova currently known to exist. See Posts #19 and 35 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Bruce Hamilton, a former Mountie from Surrey, BC (aka: "9C1NOVA" on this site).

9. 1977 Sedan, Green with white doors with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego Co. Sheriff's Dept. car that is now restored and on display in their museum. See Post #51 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

10. 1977 Coupe, Silver (code 13) with black "Custom" trimmed bucket seats (code 19N), VIN: 1X27L7L125813. Ordered from Swinson Chevrolet in Tulsa, OK by Charles Read after he retired from the US Navy. This is the only 9C1 Nova with Custom interior trim and a console with floor shift. See Posts #97-99 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Charles' nephew, John Read from Tulsa, OK (aka: "Jread" on this site).

11. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (possibly code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego City Police Dept. car that is now restored and in their museum. See Post #191 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

12. 1978 Coupe with Cabriolet padded top option (only one known to exist, and undoubtedly a one-of-one car when it was built), Black (code 19) with black top and black bench seat, VIN: 1X27L8T2194XX. Buildsheet (see post #170) and window sticker showing 31 options, 30k original miles, show winner. Sold new at Ed Wright Chevy in Chattanooga, TN to a car enthusiast. See Posts #4 and 5 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Mark Williamson (aka: "Markangie24" on this site).

13. 1978 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L8T147120. Delivered new to Bickerstaff Chevrolet in Buena Vista, GA and used by their local police dept. Traded back to the original dealership in the '80s and sat outdoors behind the dealership for more than 20 years. Car has original buildsheet, window sticker, and sales invoice, rusty fenders and doors. Sold for $810 on Ebay on 1/8/13. Current Owner: Unknown.

14. 1978 Coupe, Carmine Metallic (code 77) with tan bench seat (code 62R), VIN: 1X27L8W210057. Original factory shipper form shows it was sold new at Lentz Chevy in Indianola, IA for use as an undercover car for the State of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations. A running and well-optioned car that is rusty but complete and needs restoration. See Posts #26, 32, and 33 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current Owner: John Ellison, retired Iowa State Bureau of Criminal Investigations investigator.

15. 1978 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white painted doors and tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA Co. Sheriff's car (LA Co Veh ID: 51324) now restored. This car was in service from 7/5/78 to 4/20/82, and its original cost was $5,365.75. Current owner: LASD Museum in Los Angeles.

16. 1978 Sedan, Dark Blue-green Metallic (code 48) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8T253394, engine code: CUS. Sold new at Solt Chevrolet in Nazareth, PA for use by the Chief of Police for the Borough of Tatamy, PA. Was for sale on CL-Phila for $5,500 (12/14), but has now gone missing. Has rust and needs restoration, but runs and drives well. Has buildsheet and window sticker. See Posts #2 and 34 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

17. 1978 Sedan, Light Blue (code 22) with tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA County district attorney car (LA Co Veh ID: 51144) that ended up as an LA Co library vehicle, sold at public auction and restored to original configuration. Current owner: Kyle Wright from Maine (photos taken in 2004 can be seen on "fotki.com" by searching for "9C1 Nova").

18. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors (has "dash-dash" paint code on cowl tag), VIN: unknown. Has police lights and equipment, restored in 1990 by Wayne Bushey, President of the National Nostalgic Nova Club, and still owned and shown by him. See Post #14 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

19. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8W184208. Police jurisdiction unknown. Original engine or tranny are gone, but original 3.08 posi rear with sway bar, Z28 steering wheel, 120 mph speedometer and cop car seats are still in it, and it has a cop spotlight and optional sport mirrors. Was for sale at "Dan's Garage" in Kennewick, WA for $2,500 until 8/15, and then sold to Paul Martin ("Canuck78") on this site (congrats!). See Posts #25, 53-56, and 58-60 in this registry for additional info on this car.

20. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former LASD car which wears California state govt. "exempt" plates (an octagon containing an "E") E600078, and marked "324" on its roof-mounted light bar. It appears in an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage". It has a correct 120 mph 9C1 speedometer and smaller back seat, so I am declaring it to be a real 9C1. Owned by retired LASD deputy Bill Sanders. If anyone knows him, please have him contact Alex Manz ("9C1 Beater").

21. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat with deluxe interior trim (code 19R), VIN: 1X69L8W179273.It is still owned by Kenny Wilts, the same guy who ordered it from a Los Angeles Chevy dealer. It was ordered with A/C, cruise control, and the 9C1 package, as Kenny was a car enthusiast and wanted to use the car for spirited driving. During the 40 years that he has owned it, he has replaced the stock hood with a cowl induction hood, installed a B&M floor-mounted shifter, and built the original numbers-matching engine with higher performance parts. It still has its original COPO-only rear axle with full-size Chevy brakes, UC coded wheels, the 9C1-only 120 mph speedometer, and the 4-spoke steering wheel..

22. 197? Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former NC sheriff's dept. car, now restored and on display in the Hendrick's Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC (one of 125 cars in the museum's collection). No photos of this car on the Internet, and the museum is only open for private tours...so someone please get a photo and VIN for it.

RIP
1. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7T140736. It was used by the Clinton Co. PA Sheriff's Dept., then sold at a public auction to Carl Hakes who drove it for approx. 25 yrs as his daily driver. He replaced the worn out 350 with a 400 4-bolt with a hot cam, highrise intake with a Holley carb and headers. The car rusted badly and was sold in Feb. '16 for $850 to a guy who was going to use the 9C1 subframe, rear-end, TH-350 tranny and engine for a 1950 Chevy street rod pickup. The seller received over 100 calls on the car...very sad end to a rare 9C1.

2. 1976 or '77 Sedan, Antique White (Code 11) with black bench seat. VIN: Unknown. It was a former LASD patrol car that was being parted out on Craigslist-LA by a plumber in Reseda, CA. It still had the rare flat back seat, torn front bench seat, and 120 mph speedometer. The drivetrain was missing with the exception of the rear axle assembly with the rare sway bar attached. Unfortunately, the guy took down the ad while I was attempting to buy the car. I found his number and he said he had sold the rest of the car for scrap. He didn't know it was a rare police car.
Amazing research Alex!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just became aware of this thread.
I believe I am the current owner of this car;
6) 1977 Sedan, Light Blue Metallic (code 22) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W2XXXXX. Purchased new at Bill Krughoff Chevrolet in Mackinaw, IL for the town's chief of police. Has buildsheet and window sticker (see post #40 for the window sticker). Highly optioned car with PW, PDL, A/C, tilt and cruise, and has just 22k original miles. See Posts #37, 40, 173-175, and 192 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown (it was owned by Randy, aka: "COPO 9C1" on this site until '15).
However my documentation conflicts with the back story.printed above.
The VIN is 1X69L7W2189069
I have all the documentation on the car. including the original hand written dealer order sheet, reproduced window sticker, original dealer computer print out confirming the order with GM, and correspondence from the original; owner.
The selling dealer and location are correct.
The original owner was not the Chief of Police of any town.
The car was never in police service.
The car was purchased by Mr. Clarence R. Stout. He was a highly competent, dually certified Mechanical and Electrical Engineer.
He did not "know someone" or have a "friend of a friend who was a cop" in order to buy this car. In 1977 anyone could walk into a dealership and they would be happy to sell you this car. He wanted one and when he asked the salesman about options the salesman slide him the available options list and he checked, I believe, every box.
He spent the next few years attempting to retrofit the new released Edebrock fuel injection system on to the GM 350 ci engine. He did not succeed.
The car was sold to an individual in Michigan and then to another individual in Long Island, NY. This individual replaced the exhaust system with headers and replaced the rear sway bar with a heavier one. I purchased the car in June of 2020.
I have restored it with a new paint job in the original GM color and outfitted it as a LASD Gang/Detective unit.
It has been driven, examined, reviewed, and certified by Mr. Harry Hammond as GM correct and probably One of One.
I am including some current pictures for your consideration.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.
Joseph E. DiCorpo
Smyrna, Georgia
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

261 - 276 of 276 Posts