Chevy Nova Forum banner
241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 · (Edited)
Nova 9C1 for sale in Utah

Greetings All, I had posted info on Kenny Wilt's '78 Nova 9C1 back in March of this year and heard from him recently that his car was still for sale. He can be reached at 801/710-5848. He obtained a copy of the original ordering invoice for his car through GM Archives and I am posting it on here for everyone to check out. He modified his car quite a bit, but it still has the matching numbers drivetrain. He removed the rare factory rear sway bar to install traction bars, but the rear axle assembly with the rare 9C1-only large brake drums is still present (note to all...I have an extra rear sway bar if anyone is interested). He ordered the car with an optional seat fabric and his car was not built with the unusual flat rear seat. It still has the 120 mph speedometer and 4-spoke steering wheel, as well as the rare 14x7 "UC" coded steel wheels.

For anyone looking for an ideal 9C1 restoration candidate, this is it...a rust-free Western car with most of its 9C1 stuff (and GM documentation!). As anyone who is reading this knows, a real 9C1 Nova is about as rare as hen's teeth. Good luck with your sale Kenny!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Sgt Bill Sanders, Los Angeles Sheriff Department

I received an email from Sgt, Moon Mullins (he runs a website dedicated to retired officers from the Los Angeles Sheriff Dept) that Sgt. Bill Sanders passed away on Mar. 11, 2018. RIP Bill.

Here is a link to Bill's appearance on Jay Leno's garage.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/jay-leno-welcomes-police-interceptor/

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
(Note: Updated 1/9/18) This is the Internet's only list of COPO 9C1 Novas...3 coupes and 19 sedans, three have buckets and the rest with benches, one '74, one '75, one '76, eight '77s, ten '78s, and one of an unknown year. Five of them are in museums...the Los Angeles County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego City Police Museum, the City of Chino CA Police Dept. Museum, and the Rick Hendrick Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC. The manufacturing plants that produced these cars were: Willow Run in Ypsilanti, MI, Van Nuys, CA, and Tarrytown, NY. There were approximately 14,000 built and this list shows only 20 known 9C1 Nova survivors are left (basically 1.5 in a thousand survived). There are none listed on the Team Nova site (which is a big reason why I joined SNS...good call!). There are undoubtedly more, but I will venture a guess and say probably not many more. I recall several 9C1s that were in junkyards in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego (down in the Southbay area near Chula Vista...where most of SD's junkyards are located) around 1983-84, but that was 30 plus years ago and I doubt any of them remain. There was one white 9C1 at Riverside Auto Salvage in Okla City when I visited there in the early '90s when I was searching for 2nd Gen Firebird parts, but it was pretty well picked over by then (I knew it was a 9C1 by its spotlight, rubber floor mat and plugged up radio antenna holes). Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix had a decent and complete white 9C1 4-door that Car Craft magazine spotted in 2006 (in the "Barn Finds" article from Nov. '06)...within 3 months it had been foolishly parted out and is now crushed (I purchased the air cleaner and one remaining UC code 14x7 wheel from it when I visited DVAP in March of '15). There was a white 9C1 parts car listed on CL-Los Angeles in late '15 that had already lost nearly all of its original 9C1-only parts and was basically just a rust-free bodyshell by the time I called about it. It appears that these cars suffered a horribly tragic attrition rate... abused cop cars became abused taxis which became parts cars for coupes, turned into circle track cars, destroyed in Hollywood cop shows (like "Rockford Files", "The Fall Guy" and "Emergency") and movies, used in demolition derbies, or turned into high school beaters...and then 99.9% of those left were turned into scrap metal. The fact that most were nondescript appearing 4-door sedans didn't help save them either, as I'm sure many owners didn't realize what they had and junked them when they needed expensive repairs to their bodies or drivetrains...very few guys put money into plain-jane 4-doors.

Let me know if any of you know of any real 9C1s that can be added to this list, and I will update it as new ones surface. Let me know if I have made any mistakes on the info on your car and I will correct it ASAP. This appears to be the only registry for 9C1 Novas. This post will also hopefully become the main repository for detailed info on these rare and desirable Novas.

Best regards,
Alex Manz

Cars are listed by year:

1. 1974 Sedan, Light Gold Metallic (code 53) with tan bench seat, VIN: 1X69K4L207683. This was the 2nd Nova police car ever built, ordered by a West Coast GM executive to use as a demonstrator for police car ordering officials, then sold to the LA County Sheriff Dept. for use as an unmarked car (former LA Co. vehicle 46892). Has the buildsheet which shows it was ordered under a COPO order and delivered to Arrow Chevrolet in LA two weeks after it was ordered, as well as a document which shows it was a BRASS HAT car ordered for Chevy's LA Zone Office. Sold to a Hollywood film editor at an LA Co. auction in 1982 and spent 32 years hidden in a garage in the Hollywood Hills before being sold to its current owner Alex Manz (aka: "9C1 Beater" on this site). It can be found in the "3rd Gen" section.

2. 1975 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan buckets, VIN: 1X69L5L158268. Former Calif. police car (unknown jurisdiction), has original prisoner cage, restored and sold on Ebay for $6,995.00 in Feb. 2012 to a guy named David Bolender, then immediately resold. See Post #81 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

3. 1976 Sedan, Black with white doors and roof, tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former Chino, CA police car with a show-winning restoration that was performed by retired Chino PD Sgt. Fernando Tomicic before he died from lung cancer in 2007. Featured in the book "Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement Vehicles". See Post #52 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: City of Chino PD. RIP Fernando.

4. 1977 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white doors and roof, black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W168195. Former Columbia, MO police car, partially restored and sold on Ebay on 10/17/13 for $3,050. Chief of Police in Columbia decided that too much money was being wasted on restoring a car to be used in 4th of July parades and ordered it to be sold. Current owner: Unknown.

5. 1977 Sedan, Brown Metallic (code 69) with tan buckets (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7W221430, engine code: CHX. Special ordered from Ramsey Chevy in Bixby, OK by a car enthusiast from Tulsa who raced it successfully in SCCA Solo 2 autocross and rally events against Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. Spent most of its life in Phoenix, wrecked in right front in 2003 and sat for 10 years. Purchased for $400 on CL-Phoenix in Nov. '14 and moved to Columbus, OH in May '15. Buildsheet found above gas tank in June '15. Sold by Alex Manz to an unknown police car collector in Scottsdale, AZ in Feb. '17.

6. 1977 Sedan, Light Blue Metallic (code 22) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W2XXXXX. Purchased new at Bill Krughoff Chevrolet in Mackinaw, IL for the town's chief of police. Has buildsheet and window sticker (see post #40 for the window sticker). Highly optioned car with PW, PDL, A/C, tilt and cruise, and has just 22k original miles. See Posts #37, 40, 173-175, and 192 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown (it was owned by Randy, aka: "COPO 9C1" on this site until '15).

7. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan accents and tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L154139, engine code: CHX. Sold new at Brown and Brown Chevy in Mesa, AZ for use by the Mesa PD as an undercover car, and has its buildsheet which was found above the gas tank. After retiring from the force, it was owned by a Mesa PD detective, then sold to a fire chief. Current owner: Jerry Law ("GJLAW8" on this site).

8. 1977 Sedan, Royal Blue with white painted doors (spec order paint according to the buildsheet which was found under the bottom rear seat cushion) and tan front bench seat with plaid insert (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L134XXX, engine code: CHX. Ordered by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for use at the tiny post in Grimshaw, Alberta (small town of 2,500) and delivered to Haas Automotive Limited. It was ordered without A/C (not needed that far north). Sold at a Canadian govt auction and then spent many years in a salvage yard in Alberta where it was purchased and rescued in 2008. Still has the original drivetrain and all 9C1 equipment. Only Canadian 9C1 Nova currently known to exist, and it is the only 4th Gen 9C1 that has its Speedometer Certification documentation from the GM Tech Center in Warren, MI that came in the glovebox when the car was delivered. See Posts #19 and 35 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Bruce Hamilton, a former Mountie from Surrey, BC (aka: "9C1NOVA" on this site).

9. 1977 Sedan, Green with white doors with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego Co. Sheriff's Dept. car that is now restored and on display in their museum. See Post #51 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

10. 1977 Coupe, Silver (code 13) with black "Custom" trimmed bucket seats (code 19N), VIN: 1X27L7L125813. Ordered from Swinson Chevrolet in Tulsa, OK by Charles Read after he retired from the US Navy. This is the only 9C1 Nova with Custom interior trim and a console with floor shift. See Posts #97-99 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Charles' nephew, John Read from Tulsa, OK (aka: "Jread" on this site).

11. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (possibly code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego City Police Dept. car that is now restored and in their museum. See Post #191 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

12. 1978 Coupe with Cabriolet padded top option (only one known to exist, and undoubtedly a one-of-one car when it was built), Black (code 19) with black top and black bench seat, VIN: 1X27L8T2194XX. Buildsheet (see post #170) and window sticker showing 31 options, 30k original miles, show winner. Sold new at Ed Wright Chevy in Chattanooga, TN to a car enthusiast. See Posts #4 and 5 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Mark Williamson (aka: "Markangie24" on this site).

13. 1978 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L8T147120. Delivered new to Bickerstaff Chevrolet in Buena Vista, GA and used by their local police dept. Traded back to the original dealership in the '80s and sat outdoors behind the dealership for more than 20 years. Car has original buildsheet, window sticker, and sales invoice, rusty fenders and doors. Sold for $810 on Ebay on 1/8/13. Current Owner: Unknown.

14. 1978 Coupe, Carmine Metallic (code 77) with tan bench seat (code 62R), VIN: 1X27L8W210057. Original factory shipper form shows it was sold new at Lentz Chevy in Indianola, IA for use as an undercover car for the State of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations. A running and well-optioned car that is rusty but complete and needs restoration. See Posts #26, 32, and 33 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current Owner: John Ellison, retired Iowa State Bureau of Criminal Investigations investigator.

15. 1978 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white painted doors and tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA Co. Sheriff's car (LA Co Veh ID: 51324) now restored. This car was in service from 7/5/78 to 4/20/82, and its original cost was $5,365.75. Current owner: LASD Museum in Los Angeles.

16. 1978 Sedan, Dark Blue-green Metallic (code 48) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8T253394, engine code: CUS. Sold new at Solt Chevrolet in Nazareth, PA for use by the Chief of Police for the Borough of Tatamy, PA. Was for sale on CL-Phila for $5,500 (12/14), but has now gone missing. Has rust and needs restoration, but runs and drives well. Has buildsheet and window sticker. See Posts #2 and 34 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

17. 1978 Sedan, Light Blue (code 22) with tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA County district attorney car (LA Co Veh ID: 51144) that ended up as an LA Co library vehicle, sold at public auction and restored to original configuration. Current owner: Kyle Wright from Maine (photos taken in 2004 can be seen on "fotki.com" by searching for "9C1 Nova").

18. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors (has "dash-dash" paint code on cowl tag), VIN: unknown. Has police lights and equipment, restored in 1990 by Wayne Bushey, President of the National Nostalgic Nova Club, and still owned and shown by him. See Post #14 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

19. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8W184208. Police jurisdiction unknown. Original engine or tranny are gone, but original 3.08 posi rear with sway bar, Z28 steering wheel, 120 mph speedometer and cop car seats are still in it, and it has a cop spotlight and optional sport mirrors. Was for sale at "Dan's Garage" in Kennewick, WA for $2,500 until 8/15, and then sold to Paul Martin ("Canuck78") on this site (congrats!). See Posts #25, 53-56, and 58-60 in this registry for additional info on this car.

20. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former LASD car which wears California state govt. "exempt" plates (an octagon containing an "E") E600078, and marked "324" on its roof-mounted light bar. It appears in an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage". It has a correct 120 mph 9C1 speedometer and smaller back seat, so I am declaring it to be a real 9C1. Owned by retired LASD deputy Bill Sanders. If anyone knows him, please have him contact Alex Manz ("9C1 Beater").

21. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat with deluxe interior trim (code 19R), VIN: 1X69L8W179273.It is still owned by Kenny Wilts, the same guy who ordered it from a Los Angeles Chevy dealer. It was ordered with A/C, cruise control, and the 9C1 package, as Kenny was a car enthusiast and wanted to use the car for spirited driving. During the 40 years that he has owned it, he has replaced the stock hood with a cowl induction hood, installed a B&M floor-mounted shifter, and built the original numbers-matching engine with higher performance parts. It still has its original COPO-only rear axle with full-size Chevy brakes, UC coded wheels, the 9C1-only 120 mph speedometer, and the 4-spoke steering wheel..

22. 197? Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former NC sheriff's dept. car, now restored and on display in the Hendrick's Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC (one of 125 cars in the museum's collection). No photos of this car on the Internet, and the museum is only open for private tours...so someone please get a photo and VIN for it.

RIP
1. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7T140736. It was used by the Clinton Co. PA Sheriff's Dept., then sold at a public auction to Carl Hakes who drove it for approx. 25 yrs as his daily driver. He replaced the worn out 350 with a 400 4-bolt with a hot cam, highrise intake with a Holley carb and headers. The car rusted badly and was sold in Feb. '16 for $850 to a guy who was going to use the 9C1 subframe, rear-end, TH-350 tranny and engine for a 1950 Chevy street rod pickup. The seller received over 100 calls on the car...very sad end to a rare 9C1.

2. 1976 or '77 Sedan, Antique White (Code 11) with black bench seat. VIN: Unknown. It was a former LASD patrol car that was being parted out on Craigslist-LA by a plumber in Reseda, CA. It still had the rare flat back seat, torn front bench seat, and 120 mph speedometer. The drivetrain was missing with the exception of the rear axle assembly with the rare sway bar attached. Unfortunately, the guy took down the ad while I was attempting to buy the car. I found his number and he said he had sold the rest of the car for scrap. He didn't know it was a rare police car.
I saw this on Craigslist. It appears to be an authentic 9C1 Nova. Not a lot of information but looks like it has the instrument cluster and bucket seat.

1976 Chevy Nova Police Special-for parts or restore
I saw this on Craigslist. It appears to be an authentic 9C1 Nova. Not a lot of information but looks like it has the instrument cluster and bucket seat.

1976 Chevy Nova Police Special-for parts or restore
KCMO...thanks for finding and posting this. Sorry for the delay in reply...I don't get on here much due to nothing changing very much on the 9C1 Registry. Yes, I think this is a real 9C1 Nova, but somewhere along the way it lost its original 14x7 plain steel wheels. It has the correct 4-spoke steering wheel that looks like a relic from the Titanic (lots of patina, so it's been on there a long time), and it has the same plain tan bucket seat vinyl that the brown '78 I sold 2 1/2 years ago had (my 1st 9C1 Nova and the car that got me started on here). I noticed that it has round gauges and not the typical '76 sweep-style speedometer that '75s and '76s used. The only way to tell conclusively that it is a real (and extremely rare) 9C1 Nova would be to see if it has a 120 mph speedometer, a flat back seat upper cushion, and a rear sway bar. It also appears to have originally been painted white, which also points to it probably being a 9C1. I sent a message to the seller a couple of weeks ago but didn't receive a response, and there is no phone number listed. This would be only the 2nd '76 Nova 9C1 known to exist if it is an actual one. My 9C1 was sold new at a dealership in Broken Arrow, OK, a suburb of Tulsa.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I was going to edit my latest post (from 2 hours ago), but noticed that with this new "improved" SNS that there no longer appears to be an "EDIT" function...is this correct? Anyway, I really liked the previous/original version of SNS, but I guess everything has to be improved. Just like modern cars, it's much better with huge video displays in the middle of the dash, and electronic gizmos out the wazzoo...right? That's why my daily driver is a '78 Nova 4-door with a 6-cylinder.

Anyway, I digress...here are a few photos of the '76 Nova that may be a real 9C1 for sale on CL-Tulsa.

·
14,992 Posts
I was going to edit my latest post (from 2 hours ago), but noticed that with this new "improved" SNS that there no longer appears to be an "EDIT" function...is this correct?

No, not correct! You can edit a post within 24 hours of it being posted. Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of your post to find the edit function.

Bob
View attachment 400244 View attachment 400245

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Bob...thanks for the reply. I still have the obnoxious big gray circles that are blocking the right side of nearly every page I navigate to, and I do not see 3 dots in the post that I posted earlier today. Also, the Nova 9C1 Registry was edited by me over the course of 4 years to add more cars to the Registry or add more info on those cars as it became known. Does that mean I can no longer add cars or data to the main portion of the Registry? If that's the case I would like to add my 2 cents of opinion that that is something that should be changed back. How many times have guys on here wanted (or needed) to change their posts several days or weeks later?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
2,141 Posts
How many times have guys on here wanted (or needed) to change their posts several days or weeks later?
Hello 9C1 Beater, You should still be able to edit your older posts. See link below for details.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
9C1 Beater-I am in touch with the guy that posted the car for his friend. I asked additional questions too. The passenger front seat is gone. I know enough to understand that a rare car isn't necessarily a valuable car. Is it worth my time to pursue it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
(Note: Updated 1/9/18) This is the Internet's only list of COPO 9C1 Novas...3 coupes and 19 sedans, three have buckets and the rest with benches, one '74, one '75, one '76, eight '77s, ten '78s, and one of an unknown year. Five of them are in museums...the Los Angeles County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego City Police Museum, the City of Chino CA Police Dept. Museum, and the Rick Hendrick Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC. The manufacturing plants that produced these cars were: Willow Run in Ypsilanti, MI, Van Nuys, CA, and Tarrytown, NY. There were approximately 14,000 built and this list shows only 20 known 9C1 Nova survivors are left (basically 1.5 in a thousand survived). There are none listed on the Team Nova site (which is a big reason why I joined SNS...good call!). There are undoubtedly more, but I will venture a guess and say probably not many more. I recall several 9C1s that were in junkyards in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego (down in the Southbay area near Chula Vista...where most of SD's junkyards are located) around 1983-84, but that was 30 plus years ago and I doubt any of them remain. There was one white 9C1 at Riverside Auto Salvage in Okla City when I visited there in the early '90s when I was searching for 2nd Gen Firebird parts, but it was pretty well picked over by then (I knew it was a 9C1 by its spotlight, rubber floor mat and plugged up radio antenna holes). Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix had a decent and complete white 9C1 4-door that Car Craft magazine spotted in 2006 (in the "Barn Finds" article from Nov. '06)...within 3 months it had been foolishly parted out and is now crushed (I purchased the air cleaner and one remaining UC code 14x7 wheel from it when I visited DVAP in March of '15). There was a white 9C1 parts car listed on CL-Los Angeles in late '15 that had already lost nearly all of its original 9C1-only parts and was basically just a rust-free bodyshell by the time I called about it. It appears that these cars suffered a horribly tragic attrition rate... abused cop cars became abused taxis which became parts cars for coupes, turned into circle track cars, destroyed in Hollywood cop shows (like "Rockford Files", "The Fall Guy" and "Emergency") and movies, used in demolition derbies, or turned into high school beaters...and then 99.9% of those left were turned into scrap metal. The fact that most were nondescript appearing 4-door sedans didn't help save them either, as I'm sure many owners didn't realize what they had and junked them when they needed expensive repairs to their bodies or drivetrains...very few guys put money into plain-jane 4-doors.

Let me know if any of you know of any real 9C1s that can be added to this list, and I will update it as new ones surface. Let me know if I have made any mistakes on the info on your car and I will correct it ASAP. This appears to be the only registry for 9C1 Novas. This post will also hopefully become the main repository for detailed info on these rare and desirable Novas.

Best regards,
Alex Manz

Cars are listed by year:

1. 1974 Sedan, Light Gold Metallic (code 53) with tan bench seat, VIN: 1X69K4L207683. This was the 2nd Nova police car ever built, ordered by a West Coast GM executive to use as a demonstrator for police car ordering officials, then sold to the LA County Sheriff Dept. for use as an unmarked car (former LA Co. vehicle 46892). Has the buildsheet which shows it was ordered under a COPO order and delivered to Arrow Chevrolet in LA two weeks after it was ordered, as well as a document which shows it was a BRASS HAT car ordered for Chevy's LA Zone Office. Sold to a Hollywood film editor at an LA Co. auction in 1982 and spent 32 years hidden in a garage in the Hollywood Hills before being sold to its current owner Alex Manz (aka: "9C1 Beater" on this site). It can be found in the "3rd Gen" section.

2. 1975 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan buckets, VIN: 1X69L5L158268. Former Calif. police car (unknown jurisdiction), has original prisoner cage, restored and sold on Ebay for $6,995.00 in Feb. 2012 to a guy named David Bolender, then immediately resold. See Post #81 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

3. 1976 Sedan, Black with white doors and roof, tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former Chino, CA police car with a show-winning restoration that was performed by retired Chino PD Sgt. Fernando Tomicic before he died from lung cancer in 2007. Featured in the book "Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement Vehicles". See Post #52 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: City of Chino PD. RIP Fernando.

4. 1977 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white doors and roof, black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W168195. Former Columbia, MO police car, partially restored and sold on Ebay on 10/17/13 for $3,050. Chief of Police in Columbia decided that too much money was being wasted on restoring a car to be used in 4th of July parades and ordered it to be sold. Current owner: Unknown.

5. 1977 Sedan, Brown Metallic (code 69) with tan buckets (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7W221430, engine code: CHX. Special ordered from Ramsey Chevy in Bixby, OK by a car enthusiast from Tulsa who raced it successfully in SCCA Solo 2 autocross and rally events against Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. Spent most of its life in Phoenix, wrecked in right front in 2003 and sat for 10 years. Purchased for $400 on CL-Phoenix in Nov. '14 and moved to Columbus, OH in May '15. Buildsheet found above gas tank in June '15. Sold by Alex Manz to an unknown police car collector in Scottsdale, AZ in Feb. '17.

6. 1977 Sedan, Light Blue Metallic (code 22) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W2XXXXX. Purchased new at Bill Krughoff Chevrolet in Mackinaw, IL for the town's chief of police. Has buildsheet and window sticker (see post #40 for the window sticker). Highly optioned car with PW, PDL, A/C, tilt and cruise, and has just 22k original miles. See Posts #37, 40, 173-175, and 192 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown (it was owned by Randy, aka: "COPO 9C1" on this site until '15).

7. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan accents and tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L154139, engine code: CHX. Sold new at Brown and Brown Chevy in Mesa, AZ for use by the Mesa PD as an undercover car, and has its buildsheet which was found above the gas tank. After retiring from the force, it was owned by a Mesa PD detective, then sold to a fire chief. Current owner: Jerry Law ("GJLAW8" on this site).

8. 1977 Sedan, Royal Blue with white painted doors (spec order paint according to the buildsheet which was found under the bottom rear seat cushion) and tan front bench seat with plaid insert (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L134XXX, engine code: CHX. Ordered by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for use at the tiny post in Grimshaw, Alberta (small town of 2,500) and delivered to Haas Automotive Limited. It was ordered without A/C (not needed that far north). Sold at a Canadian govt auction and then spent many years in a salvage yard in Alberta where it was purchased and rescued in 2008. Still has the original drivetrain and all 9C1 equipment. Only Canadian 9C1 Nova currently known to exist. See Posts #19 and 35 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Bruce Hamilton, a former Mountie from Surrey, BC (aka: "9C1NOVA" on this site).

9. 1977 Sedan, Green with white doors with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego Co. Sheriff's Dept. car that is now restored and on display in their museum. See Post #51 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

10. 1977 Coupe, Silver (code 13) with black "Custom" trimmed bucket seats (code 19N), VIN: 1X27L7L125813. Ordered from Swinson Chevrolet in Tulsa, OK by Charles Read after he retired from the US Navy. This is the only 9C1 Nova with Custom interior trim and a console with floor shift. See Posts #97-99 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Charles' nephew, John Read from Tulsa, OK (aka: "Jread" on this site).

11. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (possibly code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego City Police Dept. car that is now restored and in their museum. See Post #191 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

12. 1978 Coupe with Cabriolet padded top option (only one known to exist, and undoubtedly a one-of-one car when it was built), Black (code 19) with black top and black bench seat, VIN: 1X27L8T2194XX. Buildsheet (see post #170) and window sticker showing 31 options, 30k original miles, show winner. Sold new at Ed Wright Chevy in Chattanooga, TN to a car enthusiast. See Posts #4 and 5 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Mark Williamson (aka: "Markangie24" on this site).

13. 1978 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L8T147120. Delivered new to Bickerstaff Chevrolet in Buena Vista, GA and used by their local police dept. Traded back to the original dealership in the '80s and sat outdoors behind the dealership for more than 20 years. Car has original buildsheet, window sticker, and sales invoice, rusty fenders and doors. Sold for $810 on Ebay on 1/8/13. Current Owner: Unknown.

14. 1978 Coupe, Carmine Metallic (code 77) with tan bench seat (code 62R), VIN: 1X27L8W210057. Original factory shipper form shows it was sold new at Lentz Chevy in Indianola, IA for use as an undercover car for the State of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations. A running and well-optioned car that is rusty but complete and needs restoration. See Posts #26, 32, and 33 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current Owner: John Ellison, retired Iowa State Bureau of Criminal Investigations investigator.

15. 1978 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white painted doors and tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA Co. Sheriff's car (LA Co Veh ID: 51324) now restored. This car was in service from 7/5/78 to 4/20/82, and its original cost was $5,365.75. Current owner: LASD Museum in Los Angeles.

16. 1978 Sedan, Dark Blue-green Metallic (code 48) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8T253394, engine code: CUS. Sold new at Solt Chevrolet in Nazareth, PA for use by the Chief of Police for the Borough of Tatamy, PA. Was for sale on CL-Phila for $5,500 (12/14), but has now gone missing. Has rust and needs restoration, but runs and drives well. Has buildsheet and window sticker. See Posts #2 and 34 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

17. 1978 Sedan, Light Blue (code 22) with tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA County district attorney car (LA Co Veh ID: 51144) that ended up as an LA Co library vehicle, sold at public auction and restored to original configuration. Current owner: Kyle Wright from Maine (photos taken in 2004 can be seen on "fotki.com" by searching for "9C1 Nova").

18. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors (has "dash-dash" paint code on cowl tag), VIN: unknown. Has police lights and equipment, restored in 1990 by Wayne Bushey, President of the National Nostalgic Nova Club, and still owned and shown by him. See Post #14 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

19. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8W184208. Police jurisdiction unknown. Original engine or tranny are gone, but original 3.08 posi rear with sway bar, Z28 steering wheel, 120 mph speedometer and cop car seats are still in it, and it has a cop spotlight and optional sport mirrors. Was for sale at "Dan's Garage" in Kennewick, WA for $2,500 until 8/15, and then sold to Paul Martin ("Canuck78") on this site (congrats!). See Posts #25, 53-56, and 58-60 in this registry for additional info on this car.

20. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former LASD car which wears California state govt. "exempt" plates (an octagon containing an "E") E600078, and marked "324" on its roof-mounted light bar. It appears in an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage". It has a correct 120 mph 9C1 speedometer and smaller back seat, so I am declaring it to be a real 9C1. Owned by retired LASD deputy Bill Sanders. If anyone knows him, please have him contact Alex Manz ("9C1 Beater").

21. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat with deluxe interior trim (code 19R), VIN: 1X69L8W179273.It is still owned by Kenny Wilts, the same guy who ordered it from a Los Angeles Chevy dealer. It was ordered with A/C, cruise control, and the 9C1 package, as Kenny was a car enthusiast and wanted to use the car for spirited driving. During the 40 years that he has owned it, he has replaced the stock hood with a cowl induction hood, installed a B&M floor-mounted shifter, and built the original numbers-matching engine with higher performance parts. It still has its original COPO-only rear axle with full-size Chevy brakes, UC coded wheels, the 9C1-only 120 mph speedometer, and the 4-spoke steering wheel..

22. 197? Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former NC sheriff's dept. car, now restored and on display in the Hendrick's Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC (one of 125 cars in the museum's collection). No photos of this car on the Internet, and the museum is only open for private tours...so someone please get a photo and VIN for it.

RIP
1. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7T140736. It was used by the Clinton Co. PA Sheriff's Dept., then sold at a public auction to Carl Hakes who drove it for approx. 25 yrs as his daily driver. He replaced the worn out 350 with a 400 4-bolt with a hot cam, highrise intake with a Holley carb and headers. The car rusted badly and was sold in Feb. '16 for $850 to a guy who was going to use the 9C1 subframe, rear-end, TH-350 tranny and engine for a 1950 Chevy street rod pickup. The seller received over 100 calls on the car...very sad end to a rare 9C1.

2. 1976 or '77 Sedan, Antique White (Code 11) with black bench seat. VIN: Unknown. It was a former LASD patrol car that was being parted out on Craigslist-LA by a plumber in Reseda, CA. It still had the rare flat back seat, torn front bench seat, and 120 mph speedometer. The drivetrain was missing with the exception of the rear axle assembly with the rare sway bar attached. Unfortunately, the guy took down the ad while I was attempting to buy the car. I found his number and he said he had sold the rest of the car for scrap. He didn't know it was a rare police car.
COPO 9C1 Nova Registry and Info

This is an attempt to gather as much 9C1 Nova info as possible to determine how many are left, as well as to share info to aid in the restoration of the remaining ones, and to put together an official COPO 9C1 Nova Police Car Registry.

If you own one. please submit the following: VIN (leave the last couple of spots blank if you like), original color and trim (and whether it had a bench seat or buckets), month and year of build, the history (if known), and a photo of it. The Registry is listed below on this first page.

Thanks to All,
Alex Manz

PS...Go to Post #11 for the list of COPO 9C1 Nova Police Cars. Also, there is a lot of info on the 1st Nova 9C1 in the 3rd Gen Section under "1974 Nova Police Car...only survivor of 17 built". Go there to read info on the development of the earliest Nova 9C1s.

This is an attempt to gather as much 9C1 Nova info as possible to determine how many are left, as well as to share info to aid in the restoration of the remaining ones, and to put together an official COPO 9C1 Nova Police Car Registry.

If you own one. please submit the following: VIN (leave the last couple of spots blank if you like), original color and trim (and whether it had a bench seat or buckets), month and year of build, the history (if known), and a photo of it. The Registry is listed below on this first page.

Thanks to All,
Alex Manz

PS...Go to Post #11 for the list of COPO 9C1 Nova Police Cars. Also, there is a lot of info on the 1st Nova 9C1 in the 3rd Gen Section under "1974 Nova Police Car...only survivor of 17 built". Go there to read info on the development of the earliest Nova 9C1s.

Thanks to All,
Alex Manz

Thanks to All,
Alex Manz

Thanks to All,
Alex Manz

ps I own number 13

·
Registered
3 Posts
PD Lightning...thanks for the info on Bill Sanders...very sorry to hear he has passed away. I will contact his daughter if you PM me her phone number. I would like to get more info on his 9C1.

I would like to get some info on your Nova...it is a sharp car. I'd also like to hear how you and Bill came to appear on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. Best regards, Alex Manz
Does anyone have a current location on my old Nova? 1X69L5L158268? I am trying to see it in person and make an offer if possible. THX

·
Registered
55 Posts
After 4 years of doing nothing with the Nova,I am back working on it. I undertook a new building,a 68 Camaro Z28 restoration,a 71 Olds 442 Restoration,retirement,selling my business, moving homes, acquiring a dog,COVID 19 interruptions, a new grand son. You get the idea.
it went back on my hoist Monday,front end was dismantled,frame cleaned and ready for painting tomorrow. Engine and trans will be in next week. Waiting for paint shop to commit to a date to take it there.
photos to follow.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So this week,I stripped the front end down to do a frame cleanup ,suspension rebuild and detail.
being a Washington car used in the desert areas around the tricities,the car is very clean.
after dismantling,the frame rails were cleaned with Oven Cleaner,then Zep degreaser.

Following those steps,I used several types of wire wheels and abrasives to get the frame clean.

Notice how clean the frame is under the factory chassis paint.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That last post showed a photo of the inner cowl,covered in Volcanic Ash from Mt St Helens. The frame was filled with this stuff.bear in mind this car came out of service in the early 80’s.
by 1985 it was in a wrecking yard in Kennewick and it sat there untouched until I bought it in 2015.

More of volcanic ash lumps.

After the full cleanup,I built a plastic tent around the car for painting. I was only 5 feet from the booth but I could not move the car without suspension.

A coat of epoxy DTM primer was applied,followed by a Matte Black

241 - 257 of 257 Posts