Chevy Nova Forum banner
221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
You are correct on # 20 and the Gold 75 on Jay Lenos garage.

(Note: Updated 1/9/18) This is the Internet's only list of COPO 9C1 Novas...3 coupes and 17 sedans, three have buckets and the rest with benches, one '74, one '75, one '76, eight '77s, eight '78s, and 1 of unknown year. Five of them are in museums...the Los Angeles County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego City Police Museum, the City of Chino CA Police Dept. Museum, and the Rick Hendrick Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC. The manufacturing plants that produced these cars were: Willow Run in Ypsilanti, MI, Van Nuys, CA, and Tarrytown, NY. There were approximately 14,000 built and this list shows only 20 known 9C1 Nova survivors are left (basically 1.5 in a thousand survived). There are none listed on the Team Nova site (which is a big reason why I joined SNS...good call!). There are undoubtedly more, but I will venture a guess and say probably not many more. I recall several 9C1s that were in junkyards in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego (down in the Southbay area near Chula Vista...where most of SD's junkyards are located) around 1983-84, but that was 30 plus years ago and I doubt any of them remain. There was one white 9C1 at Riverside Auto Salvage in Okla City when I visited there in the early '90s when I was searching for 2nd Gen Firebird parts, but it was pretty well picked over by then (I knew it was a 9C1 by its spotlight, rubber floor mat and plugged up radio antenna holes). Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix had a decent and complete white 9C1 4-door that Car Craft magazine spotted in 2006 (in the "Barn Finds" article from Nov. '06)...within 3 months it had been foolishly parted out and is now crushed (I purchased the air cleaner and one remaining UC code 14x7 wheel from it when I visited DVAP in March of '15). There was a white 9C1 parts car listed on CL-Los Angeles in late '15 that had already lost nearly all of its original 9C1-only parts and was basically just a rust-free bodyshell by the time I called about it. It appears that these cars suffered a horribly tragic attrition rate... abused cop cars became abused taxis which became parts cars for coupes, turned into circle track cars, destroyed in Hollywood cop shows (like "Rockford Files", "The Fall Guy" and "Emergency") and movies, used in demolition derbies, or turned into high school beaters...and then 99.9% of those left were turned into scrap metal. The fact that most were nondescript appearing 4-door sedans didn't help save them either, as I'm sure many owners didn't realize what they had and junked them when they needed expensive repairs to their bodies or drivetrains...very few guys put money into plain-jane 4-doors.

Let me know if any of you know of any real 9C1s that can be added to this list, and I will update it as new ones surface. Let me know if I have made any mistakes on the info on your car and I will correct it ASAP. This appears to be the only registry for 9C1 Novas. This post will also hopefully become the main repository for detailed info on these rare and desirable Novas.

Best regards,
Alex Manz

Cars are listed by year:

1. 1974 Sedan, Light Gold Metallic (code 53) with tan bench seat, VIN: 1X69K4L207683. This was the 2nd Nova police car ever built, ordered by a West Coast GM executive to use as a demonstrator for police car ordering officials, then sold to the LA County Sheriff Dept. for use as an unmarked car (former LA Co. vehicle 46892). Has the buildsheet which shows it was ordered under a COPO order and delivered to Arrow Chevrolet in LA two weeks after it was ordered. Sold to a Hollywood film editor at an LA Co. auction in 1982 and spent 32 years hidden in a garage in the Hollywood Hills before being sold to its current owner Alex Manz (aka: "9C1 Beater" on this site).

2. 1975 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan buckets, VIN: 1X69L5L158268. Former Calif. police car (unknown jurisdiction), has original prisoner cage, restored and sold on Ebay for $6,995.00 in Feb. 2012 to a guy named David Bolender, then immediately resold. See Post #81 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

3. 1976 Sedan, Black with white doors and roof, tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former Chino, CA police car with a show-winning restoration that was performed by retired Chino PD Sgt. Fernando Tomicic before he died from lung cancer in 2007. Featured in the book "Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement Vehicles". See Post #52 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: City of Chino PD. RIP Fernando.

4. 1977 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white doors and roof, black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W168195. Former Columbia, MO police car, partially restored and sold on Ebay on 10/17/13 for $3,050. Chief of Police in Columbia decided that too much money was being wasted on restoring a car to be used in 4th of July parades and ordered it to be sold. Current owner: Unknown.

5. 1977 Sedan, Brown Metallic (code 69) with tan buckets (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7W221430, engine code: CHX. Special ordered from Ramsey Chevy in Bixby, OK by a car enthusiast from Tulsa who raced it successfully in SCCA Solo 2 autocross and rally events against Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. Spent most of its life in Phoenix, wrecked in right front in 2003 and sat for 10 years. Purchased for $400 on CL-Phoenix in Nov. '14 and moved to Columbus, OH in May '15. Buildsheet found above gas tank in June '15. Sold by Alex Manz to an unknown police car collector in Scottsdale, AZ in Feb. '17.

6. 1977 Sedan, Light Blue Metallic (code 22) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W2XXXXX. Purchased new at Bill Krughoff Chevrolet in Mackinaw, IL for the town's chief of police. Has buildsheet and window sticker. Highly optioned car with PW, PDL, A/C, tilt and cruise, and has just 22k original miles. See Posts #37 and 192 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown (it was owned by Randy, aka: "COPO 9C1" on this site until '15).

7. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan accents and tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L154139, engine code: CHX. Sold new at Brown and Brown Chevy in Mesa, AZ for use by the Mesa PD as an undercover car, and has its buildsheet which was found above the gas tank. After retiring from the force, it was owned by a Mesa PD detective, then sold to a fire chief. Current owner: Jerry Law ("GJLAW8" on this site).

8. 1977 Sedan, Royal Blue with white painted doors (spec order paint according to the buildsheet which was found under the bottom rear seat cushion) and tan front bench seat with plaid insert (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L134XXX, engine code: CHX. Ordered by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for use at the tiny post in Grimshaw, Alberta (small town of 2,500) and delivered to Haas Automotive Limited. It was ordered without A/C (not needed that far north). Sold at a Canadian govt auction and then spent many years in a salvage yard in Alberta where it was purchased and rescued in 2008. Still has the original drivetrain and all 9C1 equipment. Only Canadian 9C1 Nova currently known to exist. See Posts #19 and 35 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Bruce Hamilton, a former Mountie from Surrey, BC (aka: "9C1NOVA" on this site).

9. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego Co. Sheriff's Dept. car that is now restored and on display in their museum. See Post #51 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

10. 1977 Coupe, Silver (code 13) with black "Custom" trimmed bucket seats (code 19N), VIN: 1X27L7L125813. Ordered from Swinson Chevrolet in Tulsa, OK by Charles Read after he retired from the US Navy. This is the only 9C1 Nova with Custom interior trim and a console with floor shift. See Posts #97-99 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Charles' nephew, John Read from Tulsa, OK (aka: "Jread" on this site).

11. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (possibly code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego City Police Dept. car that is now restored and in their museum. See Post #191 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

12. 1978 Coupe with Cabriolet padded top option (only one known to exist, and undoubtedly a one-of-one car when it was built), Black (code 19) with black top and black bench seat, VIN: 1X27L8T2194XX. Buildsheet and window sticker showing 31 options, 30k original miles, show winner. Sold new at Ed Wright Chevy in Chattanooga, TN to a car enthusiast. See Posts #4 and 5 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Mark Williamson (aka: "Markangie24" on this site).

13. 1978 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L8T147120. Delivered new to Bickerstaff Chevrolet in Buena Vista, GA and used by their local police dept. Traded back to the original dealership in the '80s and sat outdoors behind the dealership for more than 20 years. Car has original buildsheet, window sticker, and sales invoice, rusty fenders and doors. Sold for $810 on Ebay on 1/8/13. Current Owner: Unknown.

14. 1978 Coupe, Carmine Metallic (code 77) with tan bench seat (code 62R), VIN: 1X27L8W210057. Original factory shipper form shows it was sold new at Lentz Chevy in Indianola, IA for use as an undercover car for the State of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations. A running and well-optioned car that is rusty but complete and needs restoration. See Posts #26, 32, and 33 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current Owner: John Ellison, retired Iowa State Bureau of Criminal Investigations investigator.

15. 1978 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white painted doors and tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA Co. Sheriff's car (LA Co Veh ID: 51324) now restored. This car was in service from 7/5/78 to 4/20/82, and its original cost was $5,365.75. Current owner: LASD Museum in Los Angeles.

16. 1978 Sedan, Dark Blue-green Metallic (code 48) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8T253394, engine code: CUS. Sold new at Solt Chevrolet in Nazareth, PA for use by the Chief of Police for the Borough of Tatamy, PA. Was for sale on CL-Phila for $5,500 (12/14), but has now gone missing. Has rust and needs restoration, but runs and drives well. Has buildsheet and window sticker. See Posts #2 and 34 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

17. 1978 Sedan, Light Blue (code 22) with tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA County district attorney car (LA Co Veh ID: 51144) that ended up as an LA Co library vehicle, sold at public auction and restored to original configuration. Current owner: Kyle Wright from Maine (photos taken in 2004 can be seen on "fotki.com" by searching for "9C1 Nova").

18. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors (has "dash-dash" paint code on cowl tag), VIN: unknown. Has police lights and equipment, restored in 1990 by Wayne Bushey, President of the National Nostalgic Nova Club, and still owned and shown by him. See Post #14 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

19. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8W184208. Police jurisdiction unknown. Original engine or tranny are gone, but original 3.08 posi rear with sway bar, Z28 steering wheel, 120 mph speedometer and cop car seats are still in it, and it has a cop spotlight and optional sport mirrors. Was for sale at "Dan's Garage" in Kennewick, WA for $2,500 until 8/15, and then sold to Paul Martin ("Canuck78") on this site (congrats!). See Posts #53-56, and 58-60 in this registry for additional info on this car.

20. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former LASD car which wears California state govt. "exempt" plates (an octagon containing an "E") E600078, and marked "324" on its roof-mounted light bar. It appears in an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage". It has a correct 120 mph 9C1 speedometer and smaller back seat, so I am declaring it to be a 9C1. Owned by retired LASD deputy Bill Sanders. If anyone knows him, please have him contact Alex Manz ("9C1 Beater").

21. 197? Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former NC sheriff's dept. car, now restored and on display in the Hendrick's Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC (one of 125 cars in the museum's collection).

Possible 9C1s:
1. A gold 4-door sedan (year unknown) that appears in an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage" which features a correct 1978 former LASD sedan (car number 20 in the Registry). I believe this gold 4-door may belong to Jay, but can't find any further info on it. Jay doesn't typically buy or own fakes, so I think this car is a real Nova 9C1.

RIP
1. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7T140736. It was used by the Clinton Co. PA Sheriff's Dept., then sold at a public auction to Carl Hakes who drove it for approx. 25 yrs as his daily driver. He replaced the worn out 350 with a 400 4-bolt with a hot cam, highrise intake with a Holley carb and headers. The car rusted badly and was sold in Feb. '16 for $850 to a guy who was going to use the 9C1 subframe, rear-end, TH-350 tranny and engine for a 1950 Chevy street rod pickup. The seller received over 100 calls on the car...very sad end to a rare 9C1.

The LASD black and white (#20) and the gold plain wrap featured on Jay Lenos Garage are owned by members of the Badgers Emergency Vehicle group on FB.

I own the gold one and Bill does in fact own the black and white which has never been restored other than paint and maintenance.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
The LASD black and white (#20) and the gold plain wrap featured on Jay Lenos Garage are owned by members of the Badgers Emergency Vehicle group on FB.

I own the gold one and Bill does in fact own the black and white which has never been restored other than paint and maintenance.
Holy freaking smokes...it's great to hear from you...welcome to the Nova 9C1 Registry! As you can see, we are an extremely small group, but filled with respect and admiration for the best cop car that GM ever produced. Please send us the VINs, trim numbers from the cowl tags, history, and current owner info on both of them and I will update the Registry. This is fantastic news! Please feel free to email me at "[email protected]" or to call me at 614/769-5868.

I was in Santa Clarita this past May to buy a virgin 1989 GMC S15 pickup that spent its life in LA, and then back to LA in August to buy a former LASD 1974 Nova 9C1 that was purchased at an LA County auction by a Hollywood film editor in 1982. He stopped driving it in 1985 and it sat underneath his house in the Hollywood Hills for the next 32 years. It was ordered by a GM West coast executive named Rick Mahoney. It is in the "3rd Gen" section of this forum, and I have posted quite a bit of info on it.

Please give my best regards to Bill Sanders and the other members of your car club. I look forward to hearing from you and Bill again very soon.

Best regards,
Alex Manz

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your "New" 9C1 Nova!

Hi Alex,
So good to have you back in the Driver's Seat of the 9C1 Registry, you have been missed!
Even though your new vehicle is a 3rd Generation Nova, there will still be information that surfaces on the 4th Gen's and I'm sure you will have posts in both sections. I will post over on the other section also.
Congratulations on coming to an agreement on the price of this rare vehicle, part of Chevrolet history and the subject of Police car fans worldwide. "The 4 door Z28" as it has been referred to in numerous publications.
I am confident that you will give the proper attention that a vehicle of this calibre deserves. Glad to have played a part in bringing the seller and you together, the family can rest assured you will be a great caretaker of their Fathers rare vehicle that he chose to save many years ago.: yes:

Bruce

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
Hi Alex,
So good to have you back in the Driver's Seat of the 9C1 Registry, you have been missed!
Even though your new vehicle is a 3rd Generation Nova, there will still be information that surfaces on the 4th Gen's and I'm sure you will have posts in both sections. I will post over on the other section also.
Congratulations on coming to an agreement on the price of this rare vehicle, part of Chevrolet history and the subject of Police car fans worldwide. "The 4 door Z28" as it has been referred to in numerous publications.
I am confident that you will give the proper attention that a vehicle of this calibre deserves. Glad to have played a part in bringing the seller and you together, the family can rest assured you will be a great caretaker of their Fathers rare vehicle that he chose to save many years ago.: yes:

Bruce
Bruce:
Thanks for the kind words. It is an honor and a privilege to be back in the Registry...I sure missed it. I'm glad the '74 ("Woody") surfaced (with your valuable assistance) to join the other 9C1s. I'm currently sorting out carb issues and might have it driving by the end of this week...fingers crossed.

When the '74 is roadworthy, I'm planning to drive it up to the Detroit metro area and interview Harry Hammond. He was one of the 2 engineers responsible for building the '74 Nova 9C1 prototype, and I want to gather as much information as possible about the 3rd and 4th Gen 9C1s from him, and then post everything on here. I spoke with Harry recently and he is looking forward to seeing and driving the 2nd Nova 9C1 built. He knew Rick Mahoney personally and is very familiar with the '74 I purchased.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 · (Edited)
1978 Nova 9C1 from the Renoldsburg Ohio PD

Here is a photo dated from Sept. '78 that I came across recently of a Nova 9C1 that was used by the police dept in Reynoldsburg Ohio. Reynoldsburg is a suburb on the east side of the Columbus metro area. Note that the car uses 2 blue gumball lights, and has small mud flaps to keep the white sides clean. It also has a prisoner cage installed. The cramped back seat in the civilian 4-door Nova necessitated the 9C1's smaller back seat...one of the ways to distinguish a real 9C1 from a clone (the other easy way to spot a 9C1 is to look for a 120 mph speedometer). I'm guessing this is a '78 9C1 as it is so clean...not beat-up like most 1 or 2 year-old cop cars are.

In the background is the cupola from a gas station on East Main St in Reynoldsburg...the building is still there, but boarded up.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 · (Edited)
A Couple of photos from 9C1Nova

Hey All...my good friend from waayy up north in the vast frozen mountains of British Columbia, Bruce Hamilton (aka: 9C1Nova) sent me a couple more photos of 9C1 Novas that he dug up.

The first photo is probably an LASD car, since that department bought the lion's share of 9C1 Novas in California. The 2nd photo shows eight 9C1s as they were delivered to an unidentified police department. I originally thought they were LASD cars, but then realized that there are no palm trees visible in the photo (ALL photos taken in LA have palm trees visible somewhere in the background), and also that only the front doors are painted white (LASD cars had both front and back doors painted white).

Also, Bruce doesn't actually live in the mountains with moose and grizzly bears, but rather on the fringes of the Vancouver metro area. Sorry for any confusion.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
4th Gen Nova 9C1 Speedometer Certification Paperwork

My good friend Bruce Hamilton (aka: 9C1Nova) sent me photos of the speedometer certification paperwork for his '77 Nova 9C1, Ol' Blue. He tried to post it, but something wouldn't allow him to, so I am posting it for him. You will notice the upper right attributes the document to the "Engineering Center, 30003 Van Dkye, Warren Michigan 48090", which is the GM Tech Center where Harry Hammond ran the 9C1 Police Car Program for 25 years (Novas, Malibus, Impalas, Caprices, Tahoes, and the B4C Camaros). The date on the document is July 19, 1976, and the information contained in it pertains to 1977 Novas, Chevelles, and full-size Chevrolets (Belairs or Biscaynes). It is notarized at the bottom. At the top is typed, "RCMP Post - Grimshaw AB, VIN: 1X69L7L1345XX" (Bruce did not want his full VIN exposed). It appears that the vehicle's VIN and RCMP post info was typed once it arrived in Grimshaw, Alberta. All 9C1s used in law enforcement came with speedometer certification paperwork to prove that the speedometer in each vehicle met specific legal guidelines pertaining to use of the vehicle for speed enforcement.

My gold '74 Nova 9C1 still has its speedometer certification paper (look in the 3rd Gen section), so you can compare it to this document. Bruce's car's speedo cert is currently the only known 4th Gen document of its type known to exist. Information like this is what makes this the number one spot on the Internet for information on 9C1 Novas. Thanks for allowing me to post it, Bruce!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 · (Edited)
Meeting Harry Hammond, Nova 9C1 Police Car Engineer

My good friend from the Nova 9C1 Registry, Bruce Hamilton from Abbottsford, BC flew to Columbus via Calgary and Minneapolis on the 19th of June to begin a week's visit to see Harry Hammond and attend the Nova Nats in Carlisle. PA. Bruce and I have been buddies on here since the inception of the Registry in Nov. 2015, and I really looked forward to finally meeting him and going on a couple of great Nova adventures with him and my son, Little Alex (age 5). He arrived at the Columbus Airport at around 1:30 am due to the final leg of his flight being diverted due to severe thunderstorms.

Early on the morning of the 20th, we picked up an Enterprise Ford F250 Super Duty pickup, and a U-Haul double axle car trailer, then headed to the storage space where I keep my '74 Nova 9C1 stored, loaded it up and hit the road headed north on US 23 for the 4 hour drive to Fenton, MI to meet with Harry Hammond, the GM engineer who designed and built the '74 Nova police car prototype with the help of another GM engineer named Jim Ingle. The weather was perfect...82 degrees with a light wind, and Bruce and I had great discussions about Nova history, Detroit's automotive history, the interesting cars we'd owned, and the differences in the costs of living between Canada and the US. Bruce is a great guy who possesses a ton of information about nearly any topic you can come up with.

We arrived in Fenton at 4:30 pm, and Harry met us right off US 23 at his golf club. He is a youthful guy whose appearance belies his actual age, and he has a perpetual smile on his face, and a song in his heart. He was pleasantly surprised (and frankly shocked) to see that the gold '74 9C1 demonstrator that was ordered by Rick Mahoney in the first week of 1974 was still in one piece on planet earth. I got out the 3 large display boards that I put together to explain the car's very interesting history and showcase its incredible documents, and Harry spent several minutes absorbing all of the car's information. He talked about how Rick had wanted a Nova police car demonstrator at the end of the 1974 LA Sheriff Dept's police car tests, and how amazing it was that that same car was now sitting before him. He signed the inside of the car's trunk lid, and also signed a sun visor that Bruce had brought from his 9C1 ("Ol' Blue"). We then went inside his golf club's restaurant area to have a drink and talk about Nova 9C1s.

Harry talked about how John Christy, an editor and writer for Motor Trend magazine in Los Angeles had written to Jim Williams at Chevrolet Motor Division, asking Chevy to build a small car for testing and evaluation for the upcoming '74 LASD police car tests. The letter did not specifically ask for a Nova police car, but the criteria set forth in the letter made it obvious that the desired car would be Nova-based. Harry then slid the actual letter across the table to me and said it was mine to keep (thanks, Harry!). I will publish that letter on here within the next few days. He also gave me a document from him to "W. B. Mahoney" (Rick did not want to be called Wilbur...he preferred Rick) at Chevy's Los Angeles Zone Office discussing some Z28 and Chevelle components that were being evaluated for use on the Nova 9C1 prototype (a letter I will also post on here within the next week). He also gave me some great GM photos of the '75 and '76 Nova 9C1s...to be posted on here with the other documents. I am deeply indebted to Harry for these items...heartfelt thanks! In return, Bruce and I presented Harry with a plaque from the Nova 9C1 Registry thanking him for building the Nova 9C1 prototype and then running the entire 9C1 program for the next 26 years. He graciously accepted the plaque and expressed his thanks to all members of the Registry for the gift.

Harry talked briefly about working with Jim Ingle to build the prototype, the numerous days and weeks spent at the nearby GM Proving Ground in Milford, and driving it from Detroit to LA during 3 days in the last week of April '74. The first day they made it from Detroit to Joplin, MO (837 miles), the second day they stopped in Albuquerque, NM (760 miles), and the 3rd day they made it to LA (787 miles). They shared driving duties for their creation, and took a detour when they reached Flagstaff, AZ...they drove US 89A south to the historic copper mining town of Jerome, and the Nova received a torture-testing on the extremely twisty highway that goes through the Oak Creek Canyon and picturesque Sedona. For anyone who has never been on this route, it looks far more like Colorado than bone-dry Arizona. The highway is legendary for its hairpin curves and sweeping chicanes...a great road to test a world-class handler like the Nova 9C1.

Anyway, Bruce and I were extremely happy to meet Harry, and we will probably all get together again in 2 years as Harry has invited us to be his guests at the Woodward Ave Dream cruise in Detroit, and drive "his" Nova. We accept!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nova adventure!

Hey Alex,
still coming down from the incredible journey I was able to experience with you & Little Alex.
The best part of course was meeting Mr. Harry Hammond, truly a great guy!
Looking forward to our next road trip.
Thanks for using the photos of, "my good side" Ha! Ha!:)

All the best my good friend.
Bruce

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Moving Info about the 1974 Nova 9C1 to the 3rd Gen Section

Hey All...I am moving all info about the designing and building of the 1974 Nova 9C1 to the 3rd Gen Section. Please look under the heading "1974 Nova Police Car...only survivor of 17 built". I will keep info on anything related to the 4th Gen Nova 9C1s in this section. Thanks!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 · (Edited)
Another 9C1 Nova has been discovered and added to the Registry

Our good friend waayy up in BC Canada, Bruce Hamilton, has discovered another 9C1 Nova and it is now Number 22 on the Registry. Bruce has eagle eyes and was recently looking at a '78 4-door Nova for sale on Craigslist in Sacramento. He noticed that the car had a 4-spoke steering wheel and wide plain steel wheels. He called the seller and discovered it was a real 9C1 Nova. The seller, Kenny Wilts, ordered the car new at an LA-area Chevy dealer, and has kept it for the last 40 years. He now wishes to sell it...he can be reached at 801/710-5848. He has made some performance modifications over the years, but it still has its numbers-matching drivetrain and could easily be returned to stock. One unusual aspect of the car is that it does not have the unusual 9C1-only back seat, which is due to the fact that he ordered a deluxe interior trim (the Nova 9C1 seats were only available in the basic trim level). The car was ordered with A/C, cruise control, and sport mirrors.

Thanks Bruce...much appreciated!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 · (Edited)
Photos from Harry Hammond

Attached are the photos Harry Hammond gave me last summer when Bruce Hamilton and I met him at his country club in Fenton, MI. A couple of these photos have previously been published in Ed Sanow's excellent book, "Chevrolet Police Cars", which Harry provided much information for. The first photo is the 1975 9C1 prototype that Harry and Jim Ingle built during the summer of '74 using a pre-production '75 sedan. Note the car's Michigan manufacturer license plate (denoted by the "M"). The promotional photos for the '75 Nova 9C1 all used this car with that license plate number, and were taken at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, MI. The second photo is Harry and Jim with the same car at the Black Lake skid pad at the GM Proving Ground. They spent several months there with both the 3rd and 4th Gen prototypes while perfecting the handling and braking performance of each car. The promotional photos for '75 were taken in late '74 (note the snow on the ground). The 3rd photo commemorates the largest police car order in US history when 442 1976 Nova 9C1s were ordered by the Los Angeles Sheriffs Dept. and several other police departments in Southern California. The 4th photo was taken at a police convention in Denver in early 1975 (possibly January). Harry is seated on the left, and various officials from Chevrolet Motor Division and Chevrolet's Denver Zone Office are also in the photo (Harry did not remember their names). The booth where they are sitting was rented by Chevrolet at the Denver Convention Center, and police officials could sign up to drive the Nova 9C1 demonstrator that Harry had driven from Detroit (probably the 4th Gen development mule). Harry said many officers drove the car and were very impressed. He said much more development work went into the 4th Gen than the 3rd Gen 9C1, and it was a better car. Note that the large photo displayed at the rear of the booth is the first photo I submitted in this post. The last photo is Harry receiving an award sometime in the early '80s from Sherman Block, the commander of the LA County Sheriffs Dept. for Harry's support of a driving safety awareness program that received funding from Chevrolet Motor Division.

I meant to post these photos several months ago, but shortly after Harry gave them to me I moved and misplaced them until now. I am deeply honored to have received them from Harry, and I have some data from him that I will post on here in the next few days pertaining to the 4th Gen cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 · (Edited)
1975 Nova 9C1 Police Car Test

One of the things that Harry Hammond gave me was a copy of Motor Trend magazine from June 1975 which contained the first test of a 4th Gen Nova 9C1. I think this is the best test of a Nova 9C1 ever written, and it is by John Christy, the Motor Trend editor and writer who is credited with coming up with the idea for the Nova 9C1 police car.

Before I get into the article, I want to address the timeline of events that took place as the Nova 9C1 was developed. In this article, John Christy says that Harry was working on the idea of a Nova police car as early as the fall of 1972 (it was a 1973 model), which is approx. 16-18 months before John first officially mentioned the idea of a Nova police car. Harry gave me a GM internal memorandum dated Jan. 17, 1973 which was sent to Rick Mahoney, the Fleet Sales Manager at Chevrolet's Los Angeles Zone Office and discussed recommended changes to the Nova police car that Rick was preparing to have tested by the Los Angeles Sheriffs Dept. I believe that either Harry or Rick should receive more credit than John Christy for the idea of a Nova police car. John wrote a letter to Jim Williams, a GM vice president in Jan. 1974 requesting that Chevy build a Nova police car for the LASD Police Car Tests which were scheduled for April 29-May 1, 1974. John was very familiar with Chevy's LA Zone Office as he went there often to pick up cars to be tested by Motor Trend, and I believe he knew Rick Mahoney (Rick died in 1991 and John died in 1993, so that question will unfortunately remain unanswered). They did meet at the time of the 1974 LASD tests, and there are photos of them with Harry Hammond and Jim Ingle that were taken at the LA Co. Fairgrounds in Pomona during the tests. Harry said that John's letter got GM's upper management officially moving to get the 1974 Nova police car prototype built and tested (until that point, Rick and Harry were working behind GM's back to build a prototype in 1973), which I believe is where the idea first started that John was the "father" of the Nova police car. That is not to minimize John's involvement in the Nova police car program.

Now to this interesting test. The car used in the test is the same 1975 prototype that Harry and Jim built at the GM Tech Center and tested at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, MI. It has a different Michigan manufacturing license plate (denoted by the "M"...this plate starts with "13M", the plate on the same car in the photos I posted just above this post starts with "20M"). Anyway, I digress. Harry and Jim drove the '75 out to LA in late April '75 to participate in the '75 LASD Police Car Tests, and they got to hang out at the Motor Trend offices on Sunset Blvd. with John Christy and his good friend Eric Dahlquist, a fellow writer for MT (Eric died in 2017). Eric, by the way, said the white '74 Nova police car prototype "would pass a tech inspection at any racetrack in the country, except maybe Daytona". John and Eric nicknamed the '74 "the Nascar Nova" due to its great performance capabilities. In the 7th attached photo you will see the Hewlett-Packard accelerometer that John Christy brought to the LASD tests which was used to measure handling and braking forces. John had an engineering background and he was the driving force behind starting the LASD's annual tests, and the methods used to evaluate the cars. The LASD still conducts those tests, which is a real testament to John's foresight and vision.

Harry told me that the 4th Gen Nova 9C1 was a better car in nearly every category than the '74, which was a "rush job". The '75 used in this test scored a better number in the skid pad than the '74 (.85 Gs of force Vs .79). It was also faster 0-60 mph (9.0 seconds Vs 10.0). I will post a side-by-side comparison of the two cars so you can evaluate things for yourselves. One surprise is that the '75 did not use Firestone 125 Kevlar-belted radials, but used the same Goodyear Polyglas E70-14 bias-belted tires that the '74 used (the '75 prototype's promotional photos taken at the GM Proving Ground show it with the Goodyear bias-ply tires). There is a photo of the prototype's right front wheel on the 3rd page of the attached article (see close-up in photo number 5), and it clearly shows the Goodyear bias-ply tire. It also shows that the '75 did not use the metal valve stems that were used on the '74, possibly because it was determined by Harry and Jim that the metal valve stem was overkill (my '74's original Goodyear Polyglas E70-14 spare tire still has its metal valve stem). Another benefit that the '75 has over the '74 is that its rear doors open to 90 degrees for easier ingress of prisoners. One big difference between the '75 and the '76-'78 Nova 9C1s is that it did not have the smaller back seat that started with the '76 model year. Harry said that the '75 9C1 was delayed until after Jan 1st 1975 due to development delays (I'm guessing it took that long for Harry and Jim to get the car perfected...including the redesigned back door). I also noted that the prototype doesn't have rear arm rests or door handles...just like modern cop cars. As a side-note...there is currently only ONE 1975 Nova police car known to exist. It was sold on Ebay 3 years ago and is the 2nd car listed in the Nova 9C1 Registry. I would very much like to find out who owns that car and get good photos of it on here, so if anyone knows its whereabouts, please let me know.

Enjoy the article!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
That second photo ,the winter shot,the Nova really looks tough. Love the clothing style in the photos.
Paul
I agree...great photo! Harry was a sharp dresser back then...he still is. I want to thank him again for all of the info and photos he has provided...the in-depth story of the 3rd and 4th gen Nova 9C1s would not be complete without his information and memories.

By-the-way, Paul, we are all very interested in seeing the progress on the "Silver Bullet"...please update us when you can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
78 9C1 LASD Unit

Greetings, Bill Sanders 9C1 Black and white is now owned by his daughter Lisa.
It was used along with my 75 in Jay Leno’s Garage episode. Bill has passed away and he was very proud of the car. His daughter is keeping the car and displaying it at local car shows and benefits for the SHERIFF’S DEPT. .

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
PD Lightning...thanks for the info on Bill Sanders...very sorry to hear he has passed away. I will contact his daughter if you PM me her phone number. I would like to get more info on his 9C1.

I would like to get some info on your Nova...it is a sharp car. I'd also like to hear how you and Bill came to appear on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. Best regards, Alex Manz

221 - 240 of 257 Posts