Chevy Nova Forum banner
201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome back, Alex.
Everything slowed to a snail's pace since you stopped posting. Life, always seems to have that power over things we really enjoy.
You are the "perfect" person for this task. :yes:

Bruce

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Update

Other than assembling parts, I have not done anything on my car in the past year. I bought a building last Mar that is my new shop and have devoted all my time to the renovations. They are now done and the Nova work will resume.
As of this week I am having new front floor pan sections installed.
A month agi I acquired a nice set of Bucket seats from. 1980 Cutlass that will be covered on a kit from Eccles. They will be black vinyl. I prefer the 1980 style buckets as this is what ai have in the 2 9C1 Malibu I owned.
More updates soon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I knew I had this old Mechanix Illustrated article road test of a '75 Police Nova. I had a subsription to M.I. back in 1973-78 time-frame and I never threw them away. So for the benefit of all who are interested in the 9C1 Novas, below is the article.

I also used to have a subscription to "Wheelspin News", a monthly or bi-weekly newsprint publication much like "Old Autos" that featured motorsport coverage and new car road tests, as well as restoration projects, 4-wheeling and vanning (this was in the 70s), and basically any news of interest to automotive enthusiasts. A family friend was a road tester and contributing editor of the paper. He would come by our house every month with a new test vehicle (I rode in the 2nd BMW 633 coupe in Canada; it was very impressive at the time). Although they tested a 9C1 Nova in 1976, I never rode in it. Unfortunately when I got married in 1986 my mother cleaned up my room at home, turfing all my Wheelspin News, National Lampoon magazines, Playboy & Penthouse (I got them for the articles ;) ). It is too bad, as they did a nice test of the 9C1 Nova, a Firethorn Red (medium red metallic) sedan with an LM1 350, bucket seats in h.d. black vinyl w/o console, column shifted Hydramatic, 4-spoke wheel, blackwall GR70-14 performance radials on 14x7 wheels, full wheel covers and I can't remember much else (this was 40 years ago!). The car also had the catalytic converter delete, a fleet option that reverted back to the 1974-style emissions tuning that enabled the use of unleaded gas (unleaded gas availability was spotty in those early days of cats). It might have been RPO NK1 or something, the article actually listed all the option by RPO code. Damn!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cam,
Thanks for the MI article, can't believe I missed it back then. We had Popular Mechanics,Popular Science, Mechanix Illustrated etc., around the house. Tom McCahill was a great automotive journalist, especially when he tested police cars! I did a little checking on line and old issues of Wheelspin News are available.... any idea what year you saw the article.I know it was 40 years ago? Found out that the Toronto Library may have a record of Wheelspin issues.
Always good to see a photo or article I haven't seen before on the Nova 9C1's.

Bruce

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bruce, the Wheelspin News issue with the 9C1 Nova sedan road test was of a 1976 model sometime in 1976.

So the Toronto Reference Library has Wheelspin News? I must check them out. Back in the 1980s I used to go there to check out the vintage Track & Traffic Canada magazines.

A family friend by the name of Tim Miller wrote the Van Vibes column for Wheelspin News, a regular feature at that time in the mid-70s. He still writes motorsports columns in the Hamilton Spectator AFAIK. He also wrote a hardcover book on NASCAR a number of years back and has contributed to a number of magazines & newspapers over the last 4 decades. His grandfather was Ivan Miller, a sports writer for the Spectator way back before my time. Tim has always been a gearhead. He would occasionally show up at our house driving a project vehicle, often times a big Austin-Healy 3000 Mk IV that he bought for cheap, knowing that he could always make a trip to Souter' s British Car Wreckers for parts. Souter' s was on Highway 6 just north of Waterdown, Ontario (I think they disappeared in the late 1970s or early 80s). Tim was restoring a 1947 Chevy Sedan Deliver back around 1974/75 when he sold it abruptly to buy a 1-little-old-lady owned 1955 Chevrolet 210 Handyman wagon with original paint. He restored that car and later added some vintage speed equipment (triple carbs with army hat air cleaners). He only sold that car fairly recently after owning it since 1975. Tim's dad Jack even built a hot rod in the parking lot of their apartment building way back in the day. Jack worked at Stelco Steel in Hamilton and always had access to metal fabrication.

·
Registered
857 Posts
The Brown Bomber

It would be nice to see progress pics on hopefully what will be the restoration of this car. Did you direct the new owner to SNS? Maybe he would become a member here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dusty old Nova 9C1 in dad's garage

Seeking advice from experts.

Dad (86 yrs) purchased 5 Nova police utility vehicles from Los Angeles County auction in early 80’s. Two cars still in his possession, currently stored in the garage of his home in Los Angeles, which we grownup kids are cleaning out.

One of the vehicles he believes is a Nova 9C1 'test mule' (1974 4-door V8 350-4v L48) prototype squad car.

Sitting for over 20 years with no upkeep, in pretty rough shape. Love to find someone interested in giving this Nova some TLC and figured Chevy enthusiasts would be our best bet.

What to do with this very dusty specimen. I have pics, VIN, more info.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
'74 Nova!

Welcome to SNS. Please post some photos of your Father's two cars. There is a small group of folks who really take an interest in the Police 9C1 package Novas in both the 2 dr & 4 dr versions.
Sure would like to see the "test mule" end up with the right person who might restore it. It is probably the only one left.

Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Bruce, much appreciated. We'd love to first get confirmation that our Nova actually is what Dad thinks it is. Assuming the VIN will tell us that?
VIN: 1X69K4L20XXXX

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how (jpegs only?), and I'll PM Alex as you suggested.

Actually, of the two Novas still in the garage, Dad didn't think the other (a 2-door) would be of interest. It's quite damaged. Very cool car to drive, but I was rear-ended by a car carrier back in 1987 on a busy California freeway. Front left quarter panel replaced. Rear right is original but a mess.
VIN: 1X27K4L18XXXX

Glad you're all still out there.
Nancy

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have several contacts retired from the CHP that might have information about your Nova. I met these folks doing research to confirm my find of the first Ford Mustang Police car prototype. I found/purchased the first/original 1982 Ford Police Prototype Mustang that was given to the CHP for testing by Ford and ultimately put into service as the 1st EVOC Mustang at the CHP Academy in Sacrmento. I also found/purchased the 1982 Ford Mustang Police Engineering Mule from the Ford Fleet director that started the whole Mustang SSP project. I have also owned the one 1992 CHP EVOC Mustang, the one 1992 CHP EVOC Camaro and 3 of the 8 2001-2002 EVOC Camaro's used at the CHP Academy.

I have some retired CHP contacts that might shed light on just exactly what your Nova might be.

Call me anytime at 615 347 7459 to discuss.

I look forward to talking to you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mesa PD 9C1 Pics

Here is a couple pics of what #6 looked like "on the street"...

Who has the Mesa PD Nova [#6 on the list] now?? I gave some info to the owner years ago but I think he sold it...

Ok...So I have not figured this out yet...

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Full-size car Sedan

That should be it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is a couple pics of what #6 looked like "on the street"...

Who has the Mesa PD Nova [#6 on the list] now?? I gave some info to the owner years ago but I think he sold it...

Ok...So I have not figured this out yet...

View attachment 310457

That should be it...
Gerry Law still owns the car.

It is for sale at this time and is a great buy if you are looking for a 9C1 Nova.

I believe his handle is Glaw something on the site.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 · (Edited)
1974 Nova 9C1 Police Car from Hollywood!

Hey All...I'm back from the dead (really!), and ready to surprise you with my recent purchase. If you look at post #211 in this thread, you'll see that a nice lady in California was interested in selling her dad's 1974 Nova 4-door, and that he had told his family for years that it was a rare police car that had been used by the LA Co. Sheriff Dept. My good friend on this thread, Bruce Hamilton (aka: 9C1Nova) got in touch with the lady, Nancy Smith, and provided her with advice on how to document that her dad's Nova was indeed a real 9C1. He told her to have someone pull out the back seat and the gas tank to locate its buildsheet. She and her husband were able to drop the gas tank far enough to carefully remove its nearly intact buildsheet which verified its 9C1 origins. Nancy was selling the car because her 86 year-old dad had serious health problems which necessitated the sale of his 1950's era ranch house high in the hills above Hollywood, and two non-running 1974 Novas were sitting in the area below the house and would have to be sold within the next 30-45 days. The other Nova was a 2-door that was not a 9C1 (350-2 barrel with standard suspension that had been used by the LA County Dept of Social Services) and had been rear-ended during an accident on the Hollywood Freeway (US 101) in the late '80s. She asked Bruce if he might know of someone in the 9C1 community who would be interested in buying either car, and he sent me her phone number immediately. Bruce knew I was looking for another 9C1 Nova project, and also knew I had just retired from the FAA...the perfect sucker to buy the '74 9C1!

I called Nancy immediately and received an email with several photos of the gold '74, as well as a photo of its buildsheet. The buildsheet showed some interesting stuff...including the magic word "COPO" (Central Office Production Order). After figuring out that this was a genuine 1974 9C1 Nova, I called her back and we settled on a price we could both live with. I agreed to meet her within 30 days in Los Angeles to pick up her dad's car.

I'm posting the rest of the info on this car in the 3rd Gen area...because that's what it is! I will post some interesting new Nova 9C1 stuff right away and will be back on here for good. Sorry I ever left!

Best regards,
Alex Manz

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 · (Edited)
Pasadena CA Police Training Film with a 9C1 Nova

Here's an interesting training film that the Pasadena, CA PD produced that shows several views of 9C1 Novas in action. Bruce Hamilton determined that the cars in the movie are either '75s or '76s due to the dash. Thanks Bruce!

The film is obviously mislabeled as a 1971 training film. If the link is inop, it can be located by searching on Youtube for "1971 Pasadena Police Training Film Sidearm or Shotgun". I noticed that the link I posted automatically opened the black "Youtube" box that doesn't contain anything, so please go to Youtube and type in the info to see the video...it's worth the effort.

201 - 220 of 257 Posts