Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
COPO 9C1 Nova Registry and Info

This is an attempt to gather as much 9C1 Nova info as possible to determine how many are left, as well as to share info to aid in the restoration of the remaining ones, and to put together an official COPO 9C1 Nova Police Car Registry.

If you own one. please submit the following: VIN (leave the last couple of spots blank if you like), original color and trim (and whether it had a bench seat or buckets), month and year of build, the history (if known), and a photo of it. The Registry is listed below on this first page.

Thanks to All,
Alex Manz

PS...Go to Post #11 for the list of COPO 9C1 Nova Police Cars. Also, there is a lot of info on the 1st Nova 9C1 in the 3rd Gen Section under "1974 Nova Police Car...only survivor of 17 built". Go there to read info on the development of the earliest Nova 9C1s.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This '78 9C1 Nova is for sale on CL-Philly for $5,500...VIN: 1X69L8T253394, color code 48 (dark blue green met.) with black bench seat, build sheet and window sticker, and cop car spotlight. It was used by the chief of police in the Borough of Tatamy, PA. It's pretty rusty underneath, but is still fairly solid, runs well and is complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
9c1 nova option

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature18.html

I always heard stories that if you "knew a guy who knew a guy" then you could order the 9c1option on your civilian nova. The yellow nova SS is an example. There are a few SNS members who own cars with the 9c1 option. markangie24 has a real nice one. Classic industries sells the frontend parts that were exclusive to the 9c1 such as the quick ratio steering box, and the the heavier anti-sway bar,etc..etc..

Years ago l read an article in an old issue of Muscle Car Reveiw titled "Incognito", about an Illinois state police 9c1nova outfitted with a big block 454 used as a pacer car on the highways. l cant find a single thing on the internet about it. I did hear it was sold at one of the Barrett-Jackson auctions. It probably went to a big police car collection somewhere.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2 door 9C1 Nova, Judged Gold in July of this year. My car was ordered by a civilian in Chattanooga TN from his buddy at the dealership (Ed Wright Chevrolet) no longer open. I have build sheet, sticker and every piece of paperwork on the car. It has 31 factory options, a sticker price over $7K, and 30,500 original miles. Thanks Disconovaman for the nice words. Mine is black with black bench cop seat, a/c, tilt/cruise, am/fm, Cabriolet (black) top, original Kevlar spare still in the trunk, chrome wheel moldings, light package and a bunch of other stuff. The build sheet states it as a customer order and I have the card from the fleet manager at the dealership. I wish that the original owner was still alive and could see his car now. The 9C1 option was $318.00. If you have any other questions please ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Your link is gone... was it old? Could you repost?

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature18.html

I always heard stories that if you "knew a guy who knew a guy" then you could order the 9c1option on your civilian nova. The yellow nova SS is an example. There are a few SNS members who own cars with the 9c1 option. markangie24 has a real nice one. Classic industries sells the frontend parts that were exclusive to the 9c1 such as the quick ratio steering box, and the the heavier anti-sway bar,etc..etc..

Years ago l read an article in an old issue of Muscle Car Reveiw titled "Incognito", about an Illinois state police 9c1nova outfitted with a big block 454 used as a pacer car on the highways. l cant find a single thing on the internet about it. I did hear it was sold at one of the Barrett-Jackson auctions. It probably went to a big police car collection somewhere.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2 door 9C1 Nova, Judged Gold in July of this year. My car was ordered by a civilian in Chattanooga TN from his buddy at the dealership (Ed Wright Chevrolet) no longer open. I have build sheet, sticker and every piece of paperwork on the car. It has 31 factory options, a sticker price over $7K, and 30,500 original miles. Thanks Disconovaman for the nice words. Mine is black with black bench cop seat, a/c, tilt/cruise, am/fm, Cabriolet (black) top, original Kevlar spare still in the trunk, chrome wheel moldings, light package and a bunch of other stuff. The build sheet states it as a customer order and I have the card from the fleet manager at the dealership. I wish that the original owner was still alive and could see his car now. The 9C1 option was $318.00. If you have any other questions please ask.
Hey Mark:
That is a pretty amazing (and rare) Nova! I had seen it on here or on the Team Nova site, the first coupe and non-cop ordered 9C1 I had seen. Did you keep the engine all stock with the spaghetti-maze Q-jet? If so, how does it run? If you can post its VIN (or all but the last 2 digits), I'll keep a running total. I will list the VINs in numerical order. I get the feeling that there aren't many 9C1s left. If you know of others, please let me know. Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
(Note: Updated 1/9/18) This is the Internet's only list of COPO 9C1 Novas...3 coupes and 19 sedans, three have buckets and the rest with benches, one '74, one '75, one '76, eight '77s, ten '78s, and one of an unknown year. Five of them are in museums...the Los Angeles County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego County Sheriff Dept. Museum, the San Diego City Police Museum, the City of Chino CA Police Dept. Museum, and the Rick Hendrick Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC. The manufacturing plants that produced these cars were: Willow Run in Ypsilanti, MI, Van Nuys, CA, and Tarrytown, NY. There were approximately 14,000 built and this list shows only 20 known 9C1 Nova survivors are left (basically 1.5 in a thousand survived). There are none listed on the Team Nova site (which is a big reason why I joined SNS...good call!). There are undoubtedly more, but I will venture a guess and say probably not many more. I recall several 9C1s that were in junkyards in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego (down in the Southbay area near Chula Vista...where most of SD's junkyards are located) around 1983-84, but that was 30 plus years ago and I doubt any of them remain. There was one white 9C1 at Riverside Auto Salvage in Okla City when I visited there in the early '90s when I was searching for 2nd Gen Firebird parts, but it was pretty well picked over by then (I knew it was a 9C1 by its spotlight, rubber floor mat and plugged up radio antenna holes). Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix had a decent and complete white 9C1 4-door that Car Craft magazine spotted in 2006 (in the "Barn Finds" article from Nov. '06)...within 3 months it had been foolishly parted out and is now crushed (I purchased the air cleaner and one remaining UC code 14x7 wheel from it when I visited DVAP in March of '15). There was a white 9C1 parts car listed on CL-Los Angeles in late '15 that had already lost nearly all of its original 9C1-only parts and was basically just a rust-free bodyshell by the time I called about it. It appears that these cars suffered a horribly tragic attrition rate... abused cop cars became abused taxis which became parts cars for coupes, turned into circle track cars, destroyed in Hollywood cop shows (like "Rockford Files", "The Fall Guy" and "Emergency") and movies, used in demolition derbies, or turned into high school beaters...and then 99.9% of those left were turned into scrap metal. The fact that most were nondescript appearing 4-door sedans didn't help save them either, as I'm sure many owners didn't realize what they had and junked them when they needed expensive repairs to their bodies or drivetrains...very few guys put money into plain-jane 4-doors.

Let me know if any of you know of any real 9C1s that can be added to this list, and I will update it as new ones surface. Let me know if I have made any mistakes on the info on your car and I will correct it ASAP. This appears to be the only registry for 9C1 Novas. This post will also hopefully become the main repository for detailed info on these rare and desirable Novas.

Best regards,
Alex Manz

Cars are listed by year:

1. 1974 Sedan, Light Gold Metallic (code 53) with tan bench seat, VIN: 1X69K4L207683. This was the 2nd Nova police car ever built, ordered by a West Coast GM executive to use as a demonstrator for police car ordering officials, then sold to the LA County Sheriff Dept. for use as an unmarked car (former LA Co. vehicle 46892). Has the buildsheet which shows it was ordered under a COPO order and delivered to Arrow Chevrolet in LA two weeks after it was ordered, as well as a document which shows it was a BRASS HAT car ordered for Chevy's LA Zone Office. Sold to a Hollywood film editor at an LA Co. auction in 1982 and spent 32 years hidden in a garage in the Hollywood Hills before being sold to its current owner Alex Manz (aka: "9C1 Beater" on this site). It can be found in the "3rd Gen" section.

2. 1975 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan buckets, VIN: 1X69L5L158268. Former Calif. police car (unknown jurisdiction), has original prisoner cage, restored and sold on Ebay for $6,995.00 in Feb. 2012 to a guy named David Bolender, then immediately resold. See Post #81 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

3. 1976 Sedan, Black with white doors and roof, tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former Chino, CA police car with a show-winning restoration that was performed by retired Chino PD Sgt. Fernando Tomicic before he died from lung cancer in 2007. Featured in the book "Encyclopedia of Law Enforcement Vehicles". See Post #52 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: City of Chino PD. RIP Fernando.

4. 1977 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white doors and roof, black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W168195. Former Columbia, MO police car, partially restored and sold on Ebay on 10/17/13 for $3,050. Chief of Police in Columbia decided that too much money was being wasted on restoring a car to be used in 4th of July parades and ordered it to be sold. Current owner: Unknown.

5. 1977 Sedan, Brown Metallic (code 69) with tan buckets (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7W221430, engine code: CHX. Special ordered from Ramsey Chevy in Bixby, OK by a car enthusiast from Tulsa who raced it successfully in SCCA Solo 2 autocross and rally events against Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. Spent most of its life in Phoenix, wrecked in right front in 2003 and sat for 10 years. Purchased for $400 on CL-Phoenix in Nov. '14 and moved to Columbus, OH in May '15. Buildsheet found above gas tank in June '15. Sold by Alex Manz to an unknown police car collector in Scottsdale, AZ in Feb. '17.

6. 1977 Sedan, Light Blue Metallic (code 22) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L7W2XXXXX. Purchased new at Bill Krughoff Chevrolet in Mackinaw, IL for the town's chief of police. Has buildsheet and window sticker (see post #40 for the window sticker). Highly optioned car with PW, PDL, A/C, tilt and cruise, and has just 22k original miles. See Posts #37, 40, 173-175, and 192 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown (it was owned by Randy, aka: "COPO 9C1" on this site until '15).

7. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan accents and tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L154139, engine code: CHX. Sold new at Brown and Brown Chevy in Mesa, AZ for use by the Mesa PD as an undercover car, and has its buildsheet which was found above the gas tank. After retiring from the force, it was owned by a Mesa PD detective, then sold to a fire chief. Current owner: Jerry Law ("GJLAW8" on this site).

8. 1977 Sedan, Royal Blue with white painted doors (spec order paint according to the buildsheet which was found under the bottom rear seat cushion) and tan front bench seat with plaid insert (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7L134XXX, engine code: CHX. Ordered by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for use at the tiny post in Grimshaw, Alberta (small town of 2,500) and delivered to Haas Automotive Limited. It was ordered without A/C (not needed that far north). Sold at a Canadian govt auction and then spent many years in a salvage yard in Alberta where it was purchased and rescued in 2008. Still has the original drivetrain and all 9C1 equipment. Only Canadian 9C1 Nova currently known to exist. See Posts #19 and 35 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Bruce Hamilton, a former Mountie from Surrey, BC (aka: "9C1NOVA" on this site).

9. 1977 Sedan, Green with white doors with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego Co. Sheriff's Dept. car that is now restored and on display in their museum. See Post #51 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

10. 1977 Coupe, Silver (code 13) with black "Custom" trimmed bucket seats (code 19N), VIN: 1X27L7L125813. Ordered from Swinson Chevrolet in Tulsa, OK by Charles Read after he retired from the US Navy. This is the only 9C1 Nova with Custom interior trim and a console with floor shift. See Posts #97-99 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Charles' nephew, John Read from Tulsa, OK (aka: "Jread" on this site).

11. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (possibly code 64Z), VIN: unknown. Former San Diego City Police Dept. car that is now restored and in their museum. See Post #191 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

12. 1978 Coupe with Cabriolet padded top option (only one known to exist, and undoubtedly a one-of-one car when it was built), Black (code 19) with black top and black bench seat, VIN: 1X27L8T2194XX. Buildsheet (see post #170) and window sticker showing 31 options, 30k original miles, show winner. Sold new at Ed Wright Chevy in Chattanooga, TN to a car enthusiast. See Posts #4 and 5 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Mark Williamson (aka: "Markangie24" on this site).

13. 1978 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L8T147120. Delivered new to Bickerstaff Chevrolet in Buena Vista, GA and used by their local police dept. Traded back to the original dealership in the '80s and sat outdoors behind the dealership for more than 20 years. Car has original buildsheet, window sticker, and sales invoice, rusty fenders and doors. Sold for $810 on Ebay on 1/8/13. Current Owner: Unknown.

14. 1978 Coupe, Carmine Metallic (code 77) with tan bench seat (code 62R), VIN: 1X27L8W210057. Original factory shipper form shows it was sold new at Lentz Chevy in Indianola, IA for use as an undercover car for the State of Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations. A running and well-optioned car that is rusty but complete and needs restoration. See Posts #26, 32, and 33 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current Owner: John Ellison, retired Iowa State Bureau of Criminal Investigations investigator.

15. 1978 Sedan, Black (code 19) with white painted doors and tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA Co. Sheriff's car (LA Co Veh ID: 51324) now restored. This car was in service from 7/5/78 to 4/20/82, and its original cost was $5,365.75. Current owner: LASD Museum in Los Angeles.

16. 1978 Sedan, Dark Blue-green Metallic (code 48) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8T253394, engine code: CUS. Sold new at Solt Chevrolet in Nazareth, PA for use by the Chief of Police for the Borough of Tatamy, PA. Was for sale on CL-Phila for $5,500 (12/14), but has now gone missing. Has rust and needs restoration, but runs and drives well. Has buildsheet and window sticker. See Posts #2 and 34 in this Registry for additional info on this car. Current owner: Unknown.

17. 1978 Sedan, Light Blue (code 22) with tan bench seat, VIN: unknown. Former LA County district attorney car (LA Co Veh ID: 51144) that ended up as an LA Co library vehicle, sold at public auction and restored to original configuration. Current owner: Kyle Wright from Maine (photos taken in 2004 can be seen on "fotki.com" by searching for "9C1 Nova").

18. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors (has "dash-dash" paint code on cowl tag), VIN: unknown. Has police lights and equipment, restored in 1990 by Wayne Bushey, President of the National Nostalgic Nova Club, and still owned and shown by him. See Post #14 in this Registry for additional info on this car.

19. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat (code 19Z), VIN: 1X69L8W184208. Police jurisdiction unknown. Original engine or tranny are gone, but original 3.08 posi rear with sway bar, Z28 steering wheel, 120 mph speedometer and cop car seats are still in it, and it has a cop spotlight and optional sport mirrors. Was for sale at "Dan's Garage" in Kennewick, WA for $2,500 until 8/15, and then sold to Paul Martin ("Canuck78") on this site (congrats!). See Posts #25, 53-56, and 58-60 in this registry for additional info on this car.

20. 1978 Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former LASD car which wears California state govt. "exempt" plates (an octagon containing an "E") E600078, and marked "324" on its roof-mounted light bar. It appears in an episode of "Jay Leno's Garage". It has a correct 120 mph 9C1 speedometer and smaller back seat, so I am declaring it to be a real 9C1. Owned by retired LASD deputy Bill Sanders. If anyone knows him, please have him contact Alex Manz ("9C1 Beater").

21. 1978 Sedan, Silver (code 15) with black bench seat with deluxe interior trim (code 19R), VIN: 1X69L8W179273.It is still owned by Kenny Wilts, the same guy who ordered it from a Los Angeles Chevy dealer. It was ordered with A/C, cruise control, and the 9C1 package, as Kenny was a car enthusiast and wanted to use the car for spirited driving. During the 40 years that he has owned it, he has replaced the stock hood with a cowl induction hood, installed a B&M floor-mounted shifter, and built the original numbers-matching engine with higher performance parts. It still has its original COPO-only rear axle with full-size Chevy brakes, UC coded wheels, the 9C1-only 120 mph speedometer, and the 4-spoke steering wheel..

22. 197? Sedan, Black with white doors, VIN: unknown. It is a former NC sheriff's dept. car, now restored and on display in the Hendrick's Motorsports Museum in Charlotte, NC (one of 125 cars in the museum's collection). No photos of this car on the Internet, and the museum is only open for private tours...so someone please get a photo and VIN for it.

RIP
1. 1977 Sedan, Antique White (code 11) with tan bench seat (code 64Z), VIN: 1X69L7T140736. It was used by the Clinton Co. PA Sheriff's Dept., then sold at a public auction to Carl Hakes who drove it for approx. 25 yrs as his daily driver. He replaced the worn out 350 with a 400 4-bolt with a hot cam, highrise intake with a Holley carb and headers. The car rusted badly and was sold in Feb. '16 for $850 to a guy who was going to use the 9C1 subframe, rear-end, TH-350 tranny and engine for a 1950 Chevy street rod pickup. The seller received over 100 calls on the car...very sad end to a rare 9C1.

2. 1976 or '77 Sedan, Antique White (Code 11) with black bench seat. VIN: Unknown. It was a former LASD patrol car that was being parted out on Craigslist-LA by a plumber in Reseda, CA. It still had the rare flat back seat, torn front bench seat, and 120 mph speedometer. The drivetrain was missing with the exception of the rear axle assembly with the rare sway bar attached. Unfortunately, the guy took down the ad while I was attempting to buy the car. I found his number and he said he had sold the rest of the car for scrap. He didn't know it was a rare police car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Mark:
That is a pretty amazing (and rare) Nova! I had seen it on here or on the Team Nova site, the first coupe and non-cop ordered 9C1 I had seen. Did you keep the engine all stock with the spaghetti-maze Q-jet? If so, how does it run? If you can post its VIN (or all but the last 2 digits), I'll keep a running total. I will list the VINs in numerical order. I get the feeling that there aren't many 9C1s left. If you know of others, please let me know. Thanks, Alex
I will get it to you. We are hiding in Florida for the winter. Mine won gold (In the original show class) at the Nova Nationals right there in your hometown of Columbus Ohio this past July. Car is all stock and not modified in any way whatsoever. It runs just like new. Wayne Bushey, from National Nostalgic Nova has a black and white totally restored.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I will get it to you. We are hiding in Florida for the winter. Mine won gold (In the original show class) at the Nova Nationals right there in your hometown of Columbus Ohio this past July. Car is all stock and not modified in any way whatsoever. It runs just like new. Wayne Bushey, from National Nostalgic Nova has a black and white totally restored.
Hey Mark, thanks for the reply...much appreciated. I wish I had known about the Nova Nats in July...I'da been there! Congrats on your win and on owning the rarest 9C1. I would like to put together something on here with a lot of photos that show how to document a 9C1 (your input would be really appreciated since yours is completely original and unmolested).

I found my 9C1 by pure chance and had wanted one for over 30 years. I am shocked that I found one for $400, and also that so few remain (current count is only 16...2 coupes and 15 sedans...Wayne's car would make 17). I am now leaning towards very minor upgrades to the engine in mine (or maybe none at all if it runs well in its stock config.) and keeping it basically stock since it's so original. Did you get a chance to look at all the photos I posted of mine? It has some great factory markings still very visible on the chassis (note the sticker on the right rear drum), so I probably will leave that alone. I have located a nice front end for it, a 4-core radiator, and the correct fan shroud and hope to have it running by April or May. The seats will be recovered shortly afterward in the correct buckskin Naugahyde. It will receive a high quality paintjob in the original code 69 brown metallic sometime in the future when funds permit.

Is Wayne on this site?...if not, please give him my contact info on here and I'll post his car's info on the registry. I have run across his name before. BTW, do you know of any other 9C1s, or can you add any further info to the ones currently listed?

Thanks and enjoy the sunshine down there!
Best regards,
Alex

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Phillip. As you know I am down here playing a lot of golf and do not have everything with me.
that's why I take my briefcase with me when I go any where so I have part numbers and all the other information I might need... wish I was down their, but I didn't like your pardon the other day all he did was lay there.. will text you later..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
View attachment 128729 here is Wayne's phone 717-252-4192 or 717- 252- 2383 national nostalgic nova p.o.box 21977 York , pa 17402 fax 717-252-1666 also on facebook, email [email protected]
Chip...thanks very Much for the info! I will give Wayne a call and add his Nova to the list. It appears that there are now a whopping 17 survivors...I hope there are more!
Best regards,
Alex

·
Registered
60 Posts
9C1 Nova

Alex,
congrats on starting this registry.
Mine, '77 4dr sedan, X-Royal Canadian Mounted Police marked car. Color is WA5792 Royal Blue/WA5111 White doors.
Options: LM1 350 cu.in. low altitude/M38-TH350 trans./F41 susp./G92 Perf. axle, 3.08/N33 Tilt wheel/6C1 HD Frt. seat/A76-6C2 HD rear seat/7K4-80Amp. Alt./9A3-Spec. speedo gear/AU3 Elec. Dr. locks/6H5 Auto. Trnk. Release/VO1-HD-Rad./64I Buckskin & Saddle Int. trim.w/plaid material on frt. seat.
Car was assembled at the Van Nuys, CA plant and shipped to Alberta, Canada.
At the end of it's patrol life it was auctioned off by the Govt. It sat in an auto wrecking yard along with a group of other RCMP vehicles, till a friend of mine purchased it in 2008. He had been trying to purchase it for many years.
Tires were flat, gas tank rusted. He changed fluids, fresh gas, new battery and it fired right up!
As for interior vinyl for your Nova, SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby, Oregon still had
the materials in stock when I checked a few years back.
If you would PM me with your e-mail, I could send you some pics.

Bruce

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Alex,
congrats on starting this registry.
Mine, '77 4dr sedan, X-Royal Canadian Mounted Police marked car. Color is WA5792 Royal Blue/WA5111 White doors.
Options: LM1 350 cu.in. low altitude/M38-TH350 trans./F41 susp./G92 Perf. axle, 3.08/N33 Tilt wheel/6C1 HD Frt. seat/A76-6C2 HD rear seat/7K4-80Amp. Alt./9A3-Spec. speedo gear/AU3 Elec. Dr. locks/6H5 Auto. Trnk. Release/VO1-HD-Rad./64I Buckskin & Saddle Int. trim.w/plaid material on frt. seat.
Car was assembled at the Van Nuys, CA plant and shipped to Alberta, Canada.
At the end of it's patrol life it was auctioned off by the Govt. It sat in an auto wrecking yard along with a group of other RCMP vehicles, till a friend of mine purchased it in 2008. He had been trying to purchase it for many years.
Tires were flat, gas tank rusted. He changed fluids, fresh gas, new battery and it fired right up!
As for interior vinyl for your Nova, SMS Auto Fabrics in Canby, Oregon still had
the materials in stock when I checked a few years back.
If you would PM me with your e-mail, I could send you some pics.

Bruce
Bruce...great to hear from you and to add your RCMP 9C1 to the registry. Yours is the first and only Canadian car on here (hopefully not the only one left). I have sent you my email so we can stay in touch. It sounds like you found a great 9C1 that was amazingly complete in spite of its years in a salvage yard. Did you find the build sheet in your car?...those codes sound like they came off of one. Is your engine still original, and if so, how does it run with all the smog garbage still hooked up (or did the Canadian cars come with less c rap than the American cars)? Does it have the low gear lock-out that prevented shifting the trans into 1st? Do the inside rear door handles work? Have you found any markings on the right front subframe that say either "9C1 COPO" or 3 vertical painted stripes? Can you look at your left center axle and see if there's orange paint visible? Is the speedo in KPH or MPH (I'm guessing it's in KPH)?

Just an FYI, I just found another 9C1 that is in Kennewick, WA at a place called Dan's Classic Cars...not too far from you if you want to check it out...no engine or tranny, and very cheap (I posted a link that has been moved to the "Ebay, etc" area). I appreciate the info about SMS in OR...I bought some red hobnail velour for a '79 Formula 400 I owned 10 yrs ago...bought it from a guy named Chris...good guy. I will call SMS to get the correct stuff for my 9C1.

I am trying to track down the Chevrolet engineers who developed the 9C1 Nova...Harry Hammond from Special Vehicles Dept., and Jim Ingles from the F-Body program. They built the 9C1 Nova prototype, a '74 4-door sedan and drove it from Detroit to LA to enter it in the LA Sheriff Dept's testing and evaluation process. Wayne Bushey said he thinks that the 9C1 test car was built as a "ringer" (not quite stock...imagine that!). That reminds me of when Pontiac gave Car and Driver magazine a new '64 GTO to test against a Ferrari GTO...the 389 in the Goat was actually a balanced and blueprinted 421 that blew the Ferrari into the weeds. But I digress...the LASD was so impressed with the test car that they immediately ordered 15 cars ('74 models). The 9C1 based on the '75 was an even better cop car than its predecessor. If I can find the info I'll put together an article about the 9C1 Nova program and the men who designed this special car.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts