Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a 98 vortec engine from a chevy truck and will be dropping it into my 76 Nova. I will be converting it to a carb set up, so I know I'll need a vortec intake and change over to a low psi electric fuel pump.

What other conversions will I need to make?

Will the exhaust manifolds from the truck be close to where the original exhaust mate up?

Will using the old 76 alternator be easiest? And the old distributor?

I want to make this conversion as simple as possible.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I'm picking up a 98 vortec engine from a chevy truck and will be dropping it into my 76 Nova. I will be converting it to a carb set up, so I know I'll need a vortec intake and change over to a low psi electric fuel pump.

What other conversions will I need to make?

Will the exhaust manifolds from the truck be close to where the original exhaust mate up?
YES!

Will using the old 76 alternator be easiest? And the old distributor?
YES

I want to make this conversion as simple as possible.
Will need intake.

Al

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I think you might want to put a roller compatible distributor gear on your dist.Buy one for the 98 engine.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you might want to put a roller compatible distributor gear on your dist.Buy one for the 98 engine.
Ah, good catch. Hadn't thought of that yet.

I haven't ever set up a electric fuel pump before. Is it as easy as just plumbing it into the existing fuel line and running line to the carb?

I recall an article where they said you could wire the fuel pump through the harness where the oil sender wires were. That way it would turn off once oil pressure dropped. Anyone heard of this way of wiring one up?

·
Registered
609 Posts
you may want to run your stock exhaust manifolds. the truck manifolds are not the same as the car, but close. they are actualy wider
(stick our from block more)

i have been running stock HEIs and not changing the dist gear.

make sure you only use the Vortec balancer, unless you remove the timing cover and remove the crank tone ring, then you can use a pre 96 balancer.

i like to use the carter fuel pumps
they dont need a regualtor. you can run oil pressure switch if you would like. its up to you

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
How and where do you usually wire up the fuel pump?
Wire it off of a ignition hot circuit. When the igntion is on, the pump is on. Try to mount the pump close to the tank, at a low point in the fuel system. This way the weight of the fuel in the tank helps the pump. Usually this point is on the passenger's side rear framerail on a Nova.

·
Registered
609 Posts
X2

i also like to run off og IGN hot, with a manual switch so i can turn off if i need to work on car with key on, or disable when i park it somewhere

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I dropped by a local speed shop today and they recomended a Mr. Gasket fuel pump. Only $38 bucks or so.

After doing some research I found the Mr. Gasket pumps are considered junk. I am leaning toward the Carter GP4070 pump that supplies a max of 6 psi.

The old 305 is out and I've been stripping all the accessories off of it in case I need them.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
Why not run a mechanical pump? Or do you have one of the blocks that hasn't been machined for one? My 72 has an 89 L98 with working TPI and is capable of a mechanical pump. I have a block off plate on it to keep it from leaking oil, however I am not sure there is a lobe on the cam to drive one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the way to pay for my 98 mvortec engine I stopped by a couple more junkyards to make sure there wasn't a better deal out there somewhere. I looked at an engine that they identified as a 96 vortec in a suburban. The thing that confused me was that the heads didn't have the three triangle sawtooth patern on the ends of the heads like I was expecting. Instead they had a single rounded hump where you'd usually see the triangles. So I was thinking they weren't vortec heads. But the intake tube said vortec and it was in a 96 suburban. So I'm sort of confused as to what I was looking at.

I went ahead to where I'd located the engine before and even though I couldn't see the ends of the heads due to the alt. and ac brackets, I could feel the saw tooth pattern on the head on the back side. So I went ahead and laid my money down and they will be delivering Monday.

I'm wondering what the heads where on the other engine I looked at?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts