Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 lt1 Camaro motor in my 69 Nova. Just had a MSD optispark and a lt4 hot cam kit installed. I don't notice very much difference. I really was expecting a lot more thump from the cam. My mechanic said I need to upgrade my 8 in break booster for more vacuum. Should I be getting a good thump at idle Or am I expecting to much from the LT 4 hot cam. I understood it was a upgrade to the factory Corvette LT4 cam. Will a Dino be able to tell me about what size cam I have. Thinking maybe someone switch out the cam I bought and installed something else. During the install. Will more vacuum help.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I think you might be a little confused about the roll vacuum plays in the engine and the suggestion about your brake booster. Typically, going to a bigger more aggressive cam reduces the engines ability to create vacuum pressure. Accessories like the brake booster require a certain amount of vacuum pressure in order to effectively assist the braking system. If your engine is not producing the minimum requirement of vacuum it might need to be addressed. I’m not sure that going to a larger booster will accomplish the desired effect if the engine does not create enough vacuum. What I have heard of to resolve the lack of vacuum is installing an auxiliary vacuum pump to supply the components that need vacuum pressure.

This will have no effect on the engines performance..

·
Registered
97 Posts
The LT4 cam is not a wild cam, it was used in the 96' Corvette Gran Sport and about 100 special Camaros. Put out about 340 horse.

·
Registered
332 Posts
A LT4 cam is not the same as a GM LT4 "HOT" cam. HOT cam was never installed on the production line.

The Corvette LT4 produced 330 HP (installed in Grand Sport and any 6 speed Corvette for 1996).

Neither cam is very radical.

A dyno before and after would give you indications of the situation.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The stock LT1 for F-bodies was rated at 275hp 325lbft while Corvette models had 300/330 ratings from the factory. Did you just swap the cam or did you do the complete installation with the 1.6 rockers and push rods etc? Have you done anything to the ECM program?

The Superchevy article states the stock cam produced 20 inches of vacuum and with the hot cam produced 16 inches that’s not bad. Roughly about a 60hp gain and 22lbft gain.. Pretty nice return for the investment.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advice/car-technology/the-big-problem-with-chevys-57-lt1-v8

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/en...yno-testing-new-mods-for-the-lt1-motor-part-2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts