Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at putting a 9 inch in my 65 while I put in CBR's new 4 link setup. Looking for recommendations for the width of the 9 inch needed and pinion center? Not sure how wide the stock one is just wondering if I should have it narrowed at the same time I buy it. I figure there wont be any issues with leaf clearance. :)

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
54.5" non mini-tub. 53" with mini-tub. Those are the widths that TCI supplies with their 62-67 Nova 4-link.
Tim

·
Registered
753 Posts
Tim
Is that flange to flange measurment or Wheel mounting surface (WMS) to WMS?

I believe that stock first and second gen is 57.75" from WMS to WMS. I do not know for sure but I have heard that the 9" flange to flange measument should be 5" shorter to accomodate for brakes and rotors. so that would be 52.75?

TCI rear may need something different though, not sure of their specs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
To the OP, are you just trying to measure the width of the stock rear end or what will allow you to get the biggest tires with the 4 link.

If it is the latter, you will need to measure it. If not then 57.75 WMS to WMS is what you want. I have heard that the flange to flange of a 9" is 5" less than the WMS to WMS measurment. I am not positive on that though.

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
Tim
Is that flange to flange measurment or Wheel mounting surface (WMS) to WMS?

I believe that stock first and second gen is 57.75" from WMS to WMS. I do not know for sure but I have heard that the 9" flange to flange measument should be 5" shorter to accomodate for brakes and rotors. so that would be 52.75?

TCI rear may need something different though, not sure of their specs.
It axle flange to axle flange. Subtract 5" for housing length.
Tim

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I did the mini tub on old 67 I bought the wheels and tires with the back space I wanted first. Before I unbolted the old 8.2 I made a jig off the center of the 8.2 pinion to give me a stock pinion center line. Then using some scrap tubing cut to fit between the wheel flanges that gave me the width and with a square off the tubing I could measure the center line.

Deduct for rotor thickness. And I actually deducted another .25" so if I had to space the wheels out I could.

Doing it this way you can buy stock back spaced wheels or use your exisitng wheels.

Sounds harder than it is. Just a nunber of hours laying under the car with a square and a tape measure triple checking everything.

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
When I did the mini tub on old 67 I bought the wheels and tires with the back space I wanted first. Before I unbolted the old 8.2 I made a jig off the center of the 8.2 pinion to give me a stock pinion center line. Then using some scrap tubing cut to fit between the wheel flanges that gave me the width and with a square off the tubing I could measure the center line.

Deduct for rotor thickness. And I actually deducted another .25" so if I had to space the wheels out I could.

Doing it this way you can buy stock back spaced wheels or use your exisitng wheels.

Sounds harder than it is. Just a nunber of hours laying under the car with a square and a tape measure triple checking everything.
Now we are talking. Put what you want under the car....wheels and tires, position them properly and measure between the mounting surfaces. That is your width. This way you choose the back space that you want and shorten the rear end accordingly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
According to Nova Resource the first gen rears are 57 3/4 wms to wms and 50 3/4 backing plate to backing plate. So would you cut the housing down to 45 3/4?
http://www.novaresource.org/axle.htm
Keep in mind that the stock spring center bolt to center bolt width of the springs is 43.5". I'm not sure, but if the springs are 2" wide then you have 45.5" outside to outside of the springs.

45.75" does not leave enough room for "U" bolts or the tube flange itself to still work with the stock spring locations.

If someone were to go out and buy wheels and tires that they like, they may NOT be able to narrow the rearend enough to make it fit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Keep in mind that the stock spring center bolt to center bolt width of the springs is 43.5". I'm not sure, but if the springs are 2" wide then you have 45.5" outside to outside of the springs.

45.75" does not leave enough room for "U" bolts or the tube flange itself to still work with the stock spring locations.

If someone were to go out and buy wheels and tires that they like, they may NOT be able to narrow the rearend enough to make it fit.
I think we were talking about narrowing a 9" and using it with a 4 link. I guess I should have said that. sorry

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what I was asking is if I were to buy a new 9 inch for my 65 so it's the same width as stock what should I be ordering? and where should the pinion be set to is it centered in the first gen?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think we were talking about narrowing a 9" and using it with a 4 link. I guess I should have said that. sorry
Not a problem. You should have plenty of room.

I have a 9" Currie housing in my basement with the 4-bar mounts already on. This was a takeout housing from my Willys coupe. Its 45" bearing flange to bearing flange. I'm not sure if I'll keep it as a 4-link or convert it to long arm coilover rear suspension, but its free so I've got to use it on something.

Good luck with yours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts