Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I ordered my 4 link clip and am now in the process of finding a Ford 9 inch rear. I plan on buying a fabricated housing, so I would be buying the 9 inch for the center section, gears and axles.

I will be running around 500hp and want to have a strong rear. My question is what size spline, and other odds and ends that I should look for when buying a 9incher?

-John

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
A friend of mine builds 9" housings for a living and they are like a piece of artwork when done. He can build either fabricated or standard any width you want and with any combination of suspension hardware. They are much nicer than the Chassisworks Fab9 housings, I can validate that.
Here's a link in case you want to check them out. http://www.scribnerwelding.net/pages/1/index.htm

I am running a 600hp big block in my 66 and used one of Bill's rearends with a Moser Nodular big bearing center section with a Lenco locker & 35 spline axles, Mark Williams ends. I used a Motorsport rear disc kit. The driveshaft is a 3.5" 6061-T6 aluminum Inland Empire Drivline Service piece with Spicer 1350 series U-joints http://www.iedls.com/

With this setup or something similiar, you should not have to worry about breaking driveline components.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I don't know exactly...Bill was just tooling up to make these when I was having him do mine which is a standard 9" basic housing. It's far from stock and he does a beautiful job on those too. You won't find any mass produced housings that even come close to the quality, fit & finish of anything Bill builds. It's a shame to even paint or powdercoat them. He's the master TIG welder. Give him a call and he can tell you exactly what the cost is.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
You could get by with a stock housing with a rear brace if you didn't make it real wide and didn't plan to go over 750 HP with a 14.5X32 tire. I have one in my 70 Nova and it runs mid 9s at times and has never been a problem. Certainly not as nice or as strong as the fab housing but cheaper if that concerns you. Like Mike said the 35 spline axels are fine and what I also use. JMHO, RM

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man that is a sweet housing!!! I too wonder what that would cost!

-John

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
I've had Bill make a lot of custom pieces for me and he is very reasonable. He works by the hour and when he says it takes x number of minutes, that exactly the time he spent on it. When he gets a phone call, or stops for any reason, he writes down the exact time he stops and then again when he starts back on it. He is a perfectionist and if he says it's within .0005", that's what it is.

He charges $50 for a standard 9" housing, $50 to retube it to whatever length you require. Basically you tell him what overall length you need to end up with and he figures out all the rest. I think those prices are VERY reasonable. For example, he doesn't use 3rd party, preformed, stamped backbraces if you want one. He makes them custom fit to each rear end.

I will also add that he does a lot of really trick things like add lots of adjustment holes, special adjustable height shock/spring mounts etc. too that make setting up your chassis much easier and flexible.

I'm not advertising from him but anyone who has dealt with him has been extremely satisfied and will tell you his pricing is more than fair.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seattle_Mike said:
I've had Bill make a lot of custom pieces for me and he is very reasonable. He works by the hour and when he says it takes x number of minutes, that exactly the time he spent on it. When he gets a phone call, or stops for any reason, he writes down the exact time he stops and then again when he starts back on it. He is a perfectionist and if he says it's within .0005", that's what it is.

He charges $50 for a standard 9" housing, $50 to retube it to whatever length you require. Basically you tell him what overall length you need to end up with and he figures out all the rest. I think those prices are VERY reasonable. For example, he doesn't use 3rd party, preformed, stamped backbraces if you want one. He makes them custom fit to each rear end.

I will also add that he does a lot of really trick things like add lots of adjustment holes, special adjustable height shock/spring mounts etc. too that make setting up your chassis much easier and flexible.

I'm not advertising from him but anyone who has dealt with him has been extremely satisfied and will tell you his pricing is more than fair.
Does he sell a complete unit? from axle to axle? With brakes?

I am all about word of mouth advertising and you all have always steered me in the right direction!

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Yes, he will deliver it any way you want. He has a guy who does gear setups too, so if you want the pumpkin, brakes, axles, all ready to bolt in, he can do with whatever components you want.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
No, then he wouldn't have a project! :D

He's been busy since they bought a little grocery store near the property in Cle Elum. He did a lot of refurbishing of the store and his wife is working there pretty much full time. Once they get a house built, he's planning on moving over there but I think it will be a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts