Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
does anyone know the weight difference for a ford 9" housing [ chromoly / mild steel] ? i know my application will be a little different from yours i am just looking for a comparison. thank you

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i have a a moser 9'' its beefier than a stock 9'' so im assuming its heavier it sure felt like it when i man handled it into the car though :yes: as far as numbers though i have no idea all i can say is it dont matter what rearend it is there all heavy :devil:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was curious how much lighter chromoly would be than mild steel. i was thinking of spending the extra money if it was much lighter

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
The only chromemoly on the housing are the axle tubes. It's not rotating or sprung weight. I put a Moser 9" in my 65 and never thought about how much it weighs. I put it in for the convenience of changing gears. And I wanted to spend some money. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
If you're talking about a fabricated housing, the 4130 housing will generally be around 10% lighter because 1020 mild steel housings often use 3-inch diameter axle tubes and a chromoly housing will often use 3.5-inch axle tubes. (remember that there is negligible weight difference between the two materials - it's just that 4130 has a tensile strength around 86K psi, so it can be thinner than a piece of 1020 (69K psi tensile strength) in the same structural application).

Are you asking because you are having a hard time finding a factory Ford 9-inch housing? How much horsepower are you running/going to run? A baffled and braced factory housing will withstand a lot of HP.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Unless your building a race car with a full tube chassis I would not purchase the Chrome Molly unit.

The welding process for chrome molly is different than mild steel. This can be a issue when mounting braces or brackets.

Al

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks guys for the info. i have a factory 9" housing and built a brace. i was just looking at the fabricated housings and drewled a little. i was thinking the chromoly might be a lot lighter. plus they are pretty sexy looking.

big al you are rite. i have a tig welder, but the weight and strenght difference probably isnt worth the money and time.

i used the factory housings in the past and they do work fine. the amount of horsepower wont be an isue. i will be around the 600 and change mark, at flywheel.

I WAS LOOKING AT THE HOUSING LIKE A TEENAGER LOOKS AT A PLAYBOY..... LOL

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
I don't have any photos of the bracing...but, basically I cut 4 short pieces of 1-inch tubing to fit between the back and the front of the center section just above and below the axle tubes on each side and welded them in - obviously, making sure they didn't interfere with the thirdmember, caps and ring gear. Then you can also weld in a plate vertically between the two braces on each side with a hole for the axle to pass through. This adds additional torsional bracing and acts as a baffle for gear oil control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts