Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellas...i was wondering if they make a ford housing end with the bolt pattern of a chevy... so i can use my ls brake conversion? the problem is i need to shorten my rear to get my wheels to tuck...and by doing this i will lose c-clips.... and i dont want to run c-clip eliminators if i dont have to because im going to be auto crossing the car..and not sure if they will hold up...is there a way to order the axles to length i need and still retain c-clips?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Any reputable axle company will make an axle to your specs including use of the c-clip if you so choose.
I should ask how much are you shortening? I shorten my Gen 3 rear ends 1 inch and use 67 chevy 2 axles and retain the c-clip.

·
Registered
142 Posts
hello fellas...i was wondering if they make a ford housing end with the bolt pattern of a chevy... so i can use my ls brake conversion? the problem is i need to shorten my rear to get my wheels to tuck...and by doing this i will lose c-clips.... and i dont want to run c-clip eliminators if i dont have to because im going to be auto crossing the car..and not sure if they will hold up...is there a way to order the axles to length i need and still retain c-clips?
Moser 7900FM

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any reputable axle company will make an axle to your specs including use of the c-clip if you so choose.
I should ask how much are you shortening? I shorten my Gen 3 rear ends 1 inch and use 67 chevy 2 axles and retain the c-clip.
not sure yet will figure that out once i finish the mini tub outter wheel well and quarter panel.... then i can stick my wheels/tires in there and take measurments
Moser 7900FM
thank you musclerodz

·
4,539 Posts
The problem you will run into is the hole in the backing plate will need to be opened up so the axle bearing can pass through it also you will need a spacer to make up the difference in backing plate thickness as well.

Miles

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
95 Ford Explorer disc brake setup is a really good way to go if you use ford 9" housing ends and have the axles made to spec, you can redrill the rotors to GM pattern to fit your wheels. I buy the explorer setup from a local yard here for $100 and the pads and rotors are cheap from any parts store. My Son has been using this setup for 5 years now-it works really well. You'll also want to relocate your shocks for tire clearance-there are some simple kits available for this.

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
I'm building a new 12 bolt for my car using the Moser 7900FM. You can use GM brakes but as stated you I think you have to open the center hole 1/4 inch. This way you can use bolt in axles like a Ford without using the c-clip eliminators.
Here are some pictures of mine during the mockup of the housing. I was working on setting the overall length and mocking up the housing.
THE ENDS WERE NOT WELDED ON USING THE C-CLAPS. I used the standard machined bushing in the bearing bores and a 1 1/4 cold rolled bar to hold everything straight. The housing is straight enough you can install the axles by hand up to the seal.
I bought Moser bearing ends, spring pads, axles and their economy disk brake setup. So far everything has worked out okay, a couple of small issues with getting everything together.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
James, ditch the spring insulators. They crack after a few hard hits especially if they are polyurethane. No difference in ride without them IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
James, ditch the spring insulators. They crack after a few hard hits especially if they are polyurethane. No difference in ride without them IMO.
I'm looking at Caltrack bars now; I don't think I'm going to use the slapper bars. With the Caltracks you don't use the pads. I just have to keep them clean enough to return to Jegs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts