Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends,
I have an extra 87 Camaro 9 bolt rear end (with POSI) recently rebuilt, laying around. I would like to put this under my 64 Nova SS so that I have the whole disc brake thing going on with the better gearing 3.42 (etc).

So, when I do some net research, I find that the 64 Rear should be 52.175 inches and that the 87 rear end should be 55.750 wide. that looks do-able with just some different offset wheels to still keep the tires tucked back under the fenders, but...

Has anybody done this? I know the spring perches are off a bit, i don't know yet until I look the job over a bit first, but it is interesting..

is this worth doing? AND has anybody done it? IS IT POSSIBLE?

Brian

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Welcome to the Site !!!

i think, if it were me... if i was gonna spend the time and effort ta swap diff mounts, why not shorten the differential and do it right ??? i know it'll prolly cost ya some bucks, but how much money for new wheels ??? then they're a special offset that are gonna be good for what car ??? just the one yer lookin' at... i think ya spend the money... get differential shortened, buy new axles, use STOCK rims and POW !!! do some nasty burn outs !!!

just my opinion, i hope it's of value to ya. ;)

and yes i agree... this post shouldn't be in the classifieds, but in the proper forum for viewing...

i am going to notify a Super Mod, or Admin to "move" this thread for you...

Welcome again to the Site ;)

the Rotten one :D

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I am not sure what a 87 Camaro 9 bolt is. Could you mean a 10 bolt? The rears out of the late Camaros are on the weak side, so you may be ahead to sell it and use the money to get you a good 8.5 10 bolt that is the right width, or a 12 bolt. Also, as I recall, the 87 Camaro had rear coil springs. If you want the discs, I'd just swap 'em over to the rear that the Nova already has. There was a thread very recently about doing a rear disc swap. I would work with what ya got in the car already, instead of trying to make something else work. Buying a a posi and gears may be cheaper than trying to make the Camaro rear work.

Randy (JMO though):)

·
3,863 Posts
I believe that the 9-bolt is an Austrailian piece that is supposed to be one of the better rears in the third gen Camaro. That said, I think I would agree that selling it to a third gen enthusiast and using the proceeds to get an 8.5" 10 bolt will put you time and money ahead. There are disc conversions available and there is a conversion using Cadillac parts that is very cost effective.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JohnnyRotten said:
this post shouldn't be in the classifieds, but in the proper forum for viewing...
Oh my god, What an idiot! I was browing classifieds just poking around and didn't realize my mistake. I am very sorry guys -- i know forum etiquitte and I should have known better.

Regarding the rear end, i think the idea of selling it and then buying a well built 10 bolt posi disc from a donor car is a better solution.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know when I get my car into the shop and can finally sort out what's happened to my first ever car in the 10 years since I sold it -- we just bought it back.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts