Chevy Nova Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I'm not Mike but I was able to move the second one to Best of Tech 8.8 merged thread.
This one:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47124

is in the Third Gen section so I have no authority there. Get that mod to move it or copy it to powertrain and I can merge it into the combined thread.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I'm still not Mike, but I got the thread moved from the 3rd gen section and merged into the master 8.8" swap thread in Best of Tech.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Did you have to cut the driveshaft?

Mark
Yes, but, I was planning on getting a new one anyways... I bought a HUGE 3.5" aluminum unit from a ford truck off of ebay and then had IT shortened at a local driveshaft shop. The Rear has a flat flange that a u-joint bracket bolts to, and usually these are not attached to junk yard rears, so you will need to find one of those. Mine came with my ebay driveshaft...

I don't know if a stock driveshaft will work, as I didn't try it, but I'm pretty sure it would need to be shortened a bit, and then you would need to get special U-joints or a new flange welded on the end to adapt it.

I kept the ford flange on the rear-end side, and had a Chevy flange welded on the transmission side, so I can use standard U-joints at both ends.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
That sounds like a better solution than my idea of using the stock driveshaft with that NAPA adapter. Do you know which Ford truck your shaft came out of?

Dave

·
Registered
759 Posts
That sounds like a better solution than my idea of using the stock driveshaft with that NAPA adapter. Do you know which Ford truck your shaft came out of?

Dave

I don't... I beleive it was some type of Heavy Duty truck... I think either an F-250 or F-350. Don't really remember, it was a while back. I just searched for "Aluminum driveshaft" on ebay and it was one of the ones that came up, but I'm sure if you check your local truck wrecking yard, they will have plenty to choose from.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I just checked eBay and they have a few. Prices look pretty good. When I had my truck driveshaft modified at Concord Driveline (a very good place to do business, by the way) it cost a little over $100. Someone in another thread on this site was talking about a guy selling custom aluminum driveshafts on eBay. He is still advertising and his stuff looks very good, too.

Dave

·
Registered
759 Posts
A couple of other things I forgot to mention...

The brake lines on the 95+ explorers enter the rear on one side (Drivers?) and then a single hard line runs to the opposite side.

The '94 and prior had 3 soft lines... (a two way junction at the middle, and two short soft lines on each side linked to the middle by hard lines.)

I bought the Pre-94 soft lines from the parts store as it mated up to the Stock nova lines more closely and allowed for better rear end mobility in my opinion. The soft lines are also made to mount to something... I just welded two short bolts on the tubes and mounted them there, and then bought some straight tubing at the parts store and bent it up using a tubing bender. I also had to get an adapter at a local brass fittings place to mount the soft line in the middle of the rear to the stock Nova hard line.

I can try to get some pics if anyone needs them.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
The Ford brake line drops down on the passenger side using a piece of flexible line leading to a junction block on the axle housing. I flipped the Ford hard line (so the junction block is now on the driver's side) and it fit just fine. I bought a 3/16 - 1/4 brass adapter from NAPA and coupled it directly to my '71 Nova brake line. Not as neat as your solution but maybe a little cheaper.

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
June 2007 Car Craft

There's a very good tech article on swapping the Mustang 8.8" with interchange info in the June 2007 Car Craft. It doesn't mention the Explorer axle but it's worth picking up if you are thinking about doing a swap.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Hello all,I am planning on installing a explorer disc brake rearend in my Convertible.I have the other short axle for the passenger side and getting ready to narrow the housing for the fit.
My questions are,
what all did you have to do for tire fitment?
I'm not sure what you mean by this... the bolt patten on the stock axles is different than the standard Chevy 5-lug pattern, but the wheels I used were dual pattern wheels, so it didn't matter to me. For other you will either need to get wheels that are dual pattern, get new studs installed in the stock axles, or replace the axles with ones that that have the bolt pattern you want to run.
what size wheels and tire did you use after it was narrowed?
I'm still in the process of getting my wheel selection finalizes, right now I have some 235/60/15's temporarily on a set of 15" rally wheels and they fit ok, but I have a lot more room, I am planning on going to a 255-275 on a 16" or 17" wheel. Its going to be vehicle dependant, the best way is to just measure everything once you are done. The only difference here is the backspacing would be different than with a standard rear... but being slightly shorter than the stock rear end, you will have better off the shelf wheel selection.
what will i need for the disc brake change?

any help and/or pics would be Most Appreiciated.
Bill
All answered in this thread I beleive... look through it, and if you have any other specific questions let us know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
glad i stumbled across this one.... might have to get that one now....

·
Registered
82 Posts
clutchdude did you have to cut it down any. Is it 4 lug or 5, I know you can get different axles for a 5 lug conversion, just wondering what you had.
I have a buddy that has a '88 GT that is rusted to hell and is taking the motor/trans to put in a '66 stang. If they fit with no cutting then I might ask him for it. He wants a 9' an I have one that needs cutting/posi/axles, maybe he will trade.

Sorry Ratpoisn i have not been on in a while. No i didnt cut it down at all, and was i believe 2" narrower that a stock 67 camaro rear. I need to go measure the overall width of it, i know this one came out of a 86 GT. As for no cutting...lol there will be some cutting to get those 4 link mounts off.

I put moser axles and spool in the car, almost right away. And there are so many mustangs out there with good parts in the rear you can get them for a reasonable price. I bought mine with 4.30 gears in it and im still using them today.

jim

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Axle flange to axle flange for the '86-'93 Ford Mustang 8.8" is reported to be: 59.25"
'62-'67 Chevy II 58.875
'68-'79 Nova 59.625
'67-'69 Camaro 59.625
'70-'81 Camaro 60.625

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Thanks Paul. This sounds like it may be a better option than the Exploders. Did these old 'Stangs come with disk brakes? Any idea how to identify which had posi or the heavy axels? There sure were a lot of them around.

Dave

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks Paul. This sounds like it may be a better option than the Exploders. Did these old 'Stangs come with disk brakes? Any idea how to identify which had posi or the heavy axels? There sure were a lot of them around.

Dave

If a first gen, that is not true at all. The first gen rears are already a little wider than they should be and it makes wheel choices very limited, especially if you want to move leafsprings inboard or go to a 4-link or other rear suspension setup to allow you to fit bigger wheel/tire combos. In that case the Mustang rear would also end up being too wide, and you would be forced to run FWD style rims if you want to put some meaty tires out back, and then they wouldn't match up with the fronts properly. If you want a near stock replacement, and plan on running stock tire/wheel combos, sure... its a close fit, but I'm sure that is not true for anyone thinking about doing this swap.

Doing the explorer swap, which results in a rear about 3" narrower than stock allows you to run more standard sized wheels, while still fitting some meaty tires out back. (Plus they are cheaper and have beefier axles 31 vs. 28 splines)

For the other cars though... it is probably a better option.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts

Dave
I don't know about it being better option. You have to cut off the suspension brackets, weld on the leaf spring perches, adapt the brakes, use Ford wheels or get new axles with a chevy pattern, deal with the drive shaft flange mount.
You can get disc brakes but they have the ford pattern. The SVO Turbo intercooled Mustang has the right stuff but try finding one of those.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Explorer Rear Axle

I got my 97 Explorer rear axle (paid $245 for the diff and the extra short axle including all the brake stuff) and went to work on preparing it to install in my 63. Since there wasn't a real step by step guide to shortening the left tube, I posted some pictures to show how I did it. I don't know if it was the right way or the wrong way, it's just the way I did it. So use at your own risk. I haven't put it to the test yet, it's just mocked up in the car. But I'm pretty sure it's not going anywhere! It welded up real nice.
Viww all the pictures here:
http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee54/markus2621/Rear Axle Project/

Original Explorer Axle

Different length axles

Marking the tube

Cutting the tube

3 pieces, the cutout will be used for a sleeve.

Clamping for welding. I plug and butt welded it.

Mocked up in the car

Laying out the pattern for drilling.

Drilling for the Chevy 4.75 bolt pattern.

With rotor and studs.

Added this picture to show the sleeve with groove at the bottom for oil flow

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Exploder rear axle
It's real easy to work on those since the rear end is usually up in the air on those cars!! I've probably seen 6-7 of them belly-up on the road--I wouldn't drive one of those things if it was free!!!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.