·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Don't forget angly...angly!! LOL!!:D

Dave

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thought Id found one today while out scroungin around at the parts yard for some Vortec heads, Dave. 98 Explorer in good shape and poked my head under to look at the tag and BOOOOO! No "L" lol. Ill find one soon though :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I think you want the ones that came with the trailer package to get the posi and 31-splines. I don't know what that VIN would be, but that might be easier than crawling around with the bugs.:D

Dave

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I have a 4th gen AND a brand new Explorer 8.8" axle. Just for giggles I slid the 8.8 under the Nova to see what would need to be done. The width is narrower than the stock 8.5 but the offset is much different.

See this thread for details.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Who did a 8.8 swap in a Nova?

Who did a 8.8 swap in a Nova? I remember someone didi this but can not find it anywhere...search reports nothing.

I was wondering which one and what was required to do this?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Search on "Explorer"
I didn't do it, but I put an Explorer disc brake axle under my Nova to see how it would fit. One tube is longer so it's offset. You need to pull the tube and swap it with one from another axle to get equal spacing.
It may be in best of tech. Somewhere I have an article of a guy who put an 8.8" in a 3rd Gen. I'll have to see if I can find it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have one in my car, I did it in combination with a leaf spring relocation, but am now in the process of changing the suspension setup to a TCI 4-link.

It is a pretty economical way to go.

The Explorer 4x4 rear-ends are plentiful and cheap in junk yards, and come with Disc Brakes, Posi, 3.73, gears, and 31 spline axles. I think I got mine for about $350 in pretty good condition.

Paul is "wright" ;) The axle IS offset, and what I did to get it to fit was I traded the left axle which is longer with the junk yard I bought it from for the right axle. Then I took it to the rear end shop and had them shorten the longeer axle tube so the shorter axle would fit on that side. (If i remember right, this was 3")They also cut off the mounting brackets for me and welded on the leaf spring mounting pads. I think this was about $200

This left me with a rear end a little shorter than stock that made wheel purchases easier, and still had a slight offset to the pinion yoke (I don't remember the exact number... but it was exactly the same as the stock first gen rear-end, which also has an offset. (I wanna say 3/4" or 1"?)

Total cost with new brakes and a parking brake cable kit to work with the explorer's intergrated parking brake was about $600-700, but I think the rear-ends can be found a bit cheaper now.

This site has some tech specs on the Explorer 8.8 (its about jeep swaps): http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
Here is some pictures of my rearend: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/grooves21/album?.dir=6e89

You can't really tell from the pictures, but the new rear is a LOT beefier than the stock 8.2. It was a pretty easy swap, nd worked out quite nicely in my opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have one in my camaro. It's been in there for 9 years.

I got mine out of a mustang gt, cut off the mounts and welded on gm mounts. Only real problem is that the housings are 2.75 dia. so the mounts need to be massaged a little. Originally i had welded on the moroso mopar style mounts....not a good thing with a car that leaves good. I should have supported the back side of the mount, i didnt and rolled over the mount and broke the rear u joint. If you need pics let me know i can get you some.
Jim

p.s. the mustang rear ends are not offset

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think youre referring to Bluesman...he did it not long ago and posted his progress on here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
clutchdude did you have to cut it down any. Is it 4 lug or 5, I know you can get different axles for a 5 lug conversion, just wondering what you had.
I have a buddy that has a '88 GT that is rusted to hell and is taking the motor/trans to put in a '66 stang. If they fit with no cutting then I might ask him for it. He wants a 9' an I have one that needs cutting/posi/axles, maybe he will trade.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
i out one on my 94 jeep cherokee for rock crawling..its a centered diff came with 4.10's and a posi 97-02 exploder...stout little things thats for sure

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The Exploder axles are bigger than than the rustangs , or more splines I should say

·
Registered
203 Posts
Explorer rears are 31 spline true but are offset, if mustang rears are centered and the right width then it is a "easy' swap. If I have to cut it down then I am going to use the 9" I have and cut it down.

clutchdude are you there??

·
Registered
759 Posts
Explorer rears are 31 spline true but are offset, if mustang rears are centered and the right width then it is a "easy' swap. If I have to cut it down then I am going to use the 9" I have and cut it down.

clutchdude are you there??
I beleive the mustang rears are still a little wide for early Novas. They may work ok in 3rd gen+ though.

But, it can be a LOT cheaper to get a Explorer rear than it is a mustang rear, especially if it has a posi and desirable gear ratios. You'll probably end up paying as much for a mustang rear unmodified as you could to get the explorer rear and have the one side shortened. (Plus you get beefier axles, posi, 3.73, and 5-lug axles [although not chevy pattern], and disc brakes.) A similar mustang rear will probably cost close to $600-$700 used with similar parts.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I'm also changing the turbo 350 for a T5 so I would probably need to mod the driveshaft anyway, but I have not gotten that far yet. I'm expecting to at least need a trim as I think the T5 is a little longer. If the original driveshaft would fit you can get that NAPA ujoint to fit GM on one side and Ford on the other.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ford 8.8 in a 66 Nova

Has anyone had any luck putting in a Ford 8.8 in a 66/67 Nova and if so what did you take it out of i.e. Explorer/Mustang? My brother-in-law suggested that I go with an 8.8 31 spline and a 3.73 tracklock. He says the tracklock is cheap to rebuild and as long as I go with the OEM gears there shouldn't be a problem setting them up. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Peace Out,
Gary

·
Registered
759 Posts
Do a search... there are TONS of threads with in depth info on this, including quite a few within the last week. There is also a thread stickied in the "best of tech" section. You are looking for an "explorer" rear end

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.