Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just located an 8.5" rear that leaks near the front of the center section at the pinion. What's involved in replacing the seal? Easy job or would a press in & out be involved in order to replace the seal?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
There's a recent thread on the subject with some discussion/controversy on what's the best way if not replacing crush sleeve. Shop manual calls to mark the nut location, others say re-torque to a lower value with Loctite.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Paul. I'm new at this 'end', but it seems the crush sleeve goes on the inside the center section with the pinion. Is there any way to stop the leak from the outside?

·
3,876 Posts
You have to pull the pinion yoke to replace the seal, hence the controversy regarding the crush sleeve. You will be relieving the preload on the pinion bearings.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Thanks, Paul. I'm new at this 'end', but it seems the crush sleeve goes on the inside the center section with the pinion. Is there any way to stop the leak from the outside?
There's confusion because you aren't supposed to reuse the crush sleeve, however the GM official shop manual procedure doesn't require crush sleeve replacement if you mark the nut location so it the sleeve preload isn't changed.
If you do it like the manual says you should be fine. I plan on doing it on my pickup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts