Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a ad on craigslist and I called the guy wondering about his rear diff he had for sale. He said it is a 10bolt rear diff out of a nova and he upgraded to a 8.5 center section, with auburn posi, 30 spline axles, new bearings, new seals etc.

The guy said that it can take a lot of HP. I forget exactly either 600HP, or like 800HP.

Just wondering what your guys/gals thoughts were on a combo like this. The reason I ask is I am looking for a strong rearend that can take a lot of abuse rather buying some one else's problem.

Thanks,

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
It may work, but it sounds to me like a "build it with what you got" rather than building it right. Send a PM to JBimmolate and ask him.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I don't think the 8.5 carrier will fit into the 8.2, but I could be wrong.

Where you at JB?

·
4,535 Posts
He may have had his tubes pressed in to a 8.5 center section or just had his tubes grafted onto a 8.5. Or he doesn't know what he's talking about lol

Miles

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
An Eaton and a good gear make either the 8.2 or 8.5 rearend strong and plenty suitbable for 500 hp. Of course the 8.5 being a little better. I have built and ran both. Running the 8.5 in my 72 with upgraded 30 spline Eaton and Moser.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Sounds to me like something to not just walk away from, but RUN! While most anything can be made to work together with enough effort, repairing a "FrankenDiff" would be a nightmare in itself.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise. I want to talk to him again, and ask him some questions.

Anybody have some questions you would ask when buying a rear diff?

This is also why I don't like buying used stuff to much because you can inherit somebody else's problem very fast.:eek:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Remember, that guy is selling and will make a good case for you to buy what he has. I'm concerned that you are seeing the posi and the axles he says are in there, while others are cautioning you. It's not like buying a 383, a common modification to a 350 that even GM is doing. If it were truly a stronger axle & diff, you would see it emerge as an alternative to the Ford 9". (Yeah, I said Ford)
Just saying, ya know?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember, that guy is selling and will make a good case for you to buy what he has. I'm concerned that you are seeing the posi and the axles he says are in there, while others are cautioning you. It's not like buying a 383, a common modification to a 350 that even GM is doing. If it were truly a stronger axle & diff, you would see it emerge as an alternative to the Ford 9". (Yeah, I said Ford)
Just saying, ya know?
I understand what your saying Pete. I am not going to buy it. I decided on that basically after a few comments that I got here.

It looked good but after some research, doesn't look very good at all. I just wanted to ask him some the points that you guys brought up and see what he says, that's all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts