Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I purchased a 8.5" 10 bolt a while back with posi and 4:56 gears; the spider gears in the posi need to be replaced, there is a big chip in one of them. Everywhere I look it seems you can only buy spider gears for open rear ends only.

This may sound like an ignorant question but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere online: is there a difference between the spider gears in a posi and in an open diff? And if there is a difference, does anyone know where to buy spider gears specifically for posi units? I'd rather not buy a whole new posi unit.

Thank you,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the open versus posi spiders are different. You need to figure out who makes the posi and contact them for replacement parts.
Thanks for the response! It's just a stock gm posi from a late 70's z28; can't seem to find just the spider gears for sale.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Thanks for the response! It's just a stock gm posi from a late 70's z28; can't seem to find just the spider gears for sale.
Yeah they stopped making parts for those several years back. I heard someone finally started making friction material again. You may want to call Eaton and see if they have a gear that fits. Otherwise you'll be into a new unit for $400.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For the GM Corporate 8.5, the spider gears for posi and non posi are the same.

Clutch Disc and Shim Kits are also available for the 8.5.

Please contact Bruce Ponti. He has the kits and spider gears.

[email protected]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the GM Corporate 8.5, the spider gears for posi and non posi are the same.

Clutch Disc and Shim Kits are also available for the 8.5.

Please contact Bruce Ponti. He has the kits and spider gears.

[email protected]
Thank you! How certain of this are you? Have you interchanged these before?

Just asking because there are multiple opposing opinions on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts