Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 8.2 rear end with a auburn posi unit and 4.11 richmond gears. what have you seen these rear ends take? im just worried about snapping an axle and tearing up the side of my car.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
This is one of my main fears also. I think the rear will hold up find as long as the HP is under 500. Safety hubs is one way to help protect those Quarter. Since your already got the posi and gears you may want to go with after market axels and safety hubs. I seen cars at the track running the old 8.2 with a ton of power and not breaking. Do you have a auto or 4 speed trans. I would think you would be find with a auto under 450 HP. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I can speak from experience and I wouldn't recommend it but I have gone 9.70's @ 135+ MPH in our 70' Nova on a stock 8.2 with stock axles and an Eaton Posi unit. I was also getting 60' times in the 1.40 to 1.45 range on a 28x9 MT ET Slick with the same setup. I would definetly invest in a set of C-Clip Eliminators and a better set of axles if your planning on keeping the rear for a while. I was pushing around 725hp to that little ole' rearend and she just kept on taking it time after time. Needless to say she was retired and and found a good home in a mild Camaro.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Anyone had luck with a 4-speed car and an 8.2? I have a ~300 hp 327, and I will be installing a Muncie. I want to be able to drive the car the way a musclecar should be driven ;) and I *may* want to try sticky tires at the track. Recipie for disaster, or does it have a shot at holding up? Should I be planning a 12-bolt or 9-inch in the future?

·
Registered
818 Posts
John65ss said:
Anyone had luck with a 4-speed car and an 8.2? I have a ~300 hp 327, and I will be installing a Muncie. I want to be able to drive the car the way a musclecar should be driven ;) and I *may* want to try sticky tires at the track. Recipie for disaster, or does it have a shot at holding up? Should I be planning a 12-bolt or 9-inch in the future?

I would recommend going for new performance axles such as Dutchman or Strange. I broke a stock axle with a 292 6 cyl, 4-speed and 4:10 posi with drag radials. Never had a problem once I replaced the shafts.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all of the suggestions. the car is a automatic but with my new engine i am scared of the rear end breaking and i hate to get rid of it since i have so much invested already.
my engine combo is 383
5.7 rods
lunati voodoo cam .526/.545 lift
10:1 compression and world products sportsman II heads with roller rockers
air gap intake and holley carb

do you guys think she'll hold with stronger axles? what about with a 100 shot of nitrous?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm also in the same show, I have a b-o-p 8.2 4.88 auburn posi, m-21 and it's been fine with the old 327-350hp which was probably like not even 300hp, I was hoping just to get the cylinders honed and slap some new rings in but machine shop said it would have to be bored and the crank would have to get turned down. So that was enough of reason to take the 383 route. Gotta get the block back from the machinist and slap all these performance goodies that have been sitting in my room for two months into it. Hoping the rear end lasts the summer and then get a 9'' in the winter.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
The 8.2 should be fine with an auto. Even with 100 shot it should be fine. there are alot of us running them still. Mines gone 11.40's with stock axles, and an auburn posi behind my 406, a shot of nitrous, with slicks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts