Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea - so out last Sunday with my kids in the 63, Thought it would be fun to light em up real quick. Instead of a stoplight screech - got the big bang and pop.
Just pulled the cover and it is trashed. The crazy thing is I am not really pushing any real power - specs below
Warmed over 327
700r4
3:73's
225/45/17 street tires

Anyway, I was searching the web around and messaged these guys. Thinking about going with the F9X62COMPLETE-GM X Body 1962-1965 Chevy II Nova Complete 9&q
Seems to be a great deal and was wanting to go with rear disc anyway.
Also, if anyone knows a rear-end builder/shop in the Chicago area, please let me know - looking for something complete that I can bolt up. Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
and there was no sign of whining from the rear before that?...clunking, jolts or jerks to give you a sign of slop...like putting it in gear

·
4,534 Posts
OEM posi? I've seen many oem eaton units develop hair line cracks. One day they just split.

Miles

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Miles -Yes - was an OEM posi I picked up a complete rear out of a 67 Chevy - just changed the gears. Have been running it fine for three years

Nova 71 - I did notice some slight noise(like clicks or small pops) on slow speed sharp turns in the weeks prior but was thinking it was just the posi - it did that at times. No whine and nothing major like clunks, jolts or jerks.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
So, how often have you had the urge to just light’m up..?

Stress is stress whether it’s in competition or goofing around with the family.. And having the family on board also adds extra weight making the traction even greater..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thug, not that often, it was a mild- just heavy on the gas car in drive scenario - no revs or power braking. Wouldn't be that aggressive with the kids in the car
Probably being a used unit with age and unknown how it was used prior owner played apart in it. Think Miles may have hit the nail on the head with the possible hairline cracks, could have been missed or not seen when I had the guy set up the 3:73. Do agree that it was stressed but was surprised by the damage. I could have it rebuilt - just not sure putting $ in the 8.2 is a good idea. Although rebuilding it would be less money. I really doubt the 327 is putting out over 270 hp

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prag - Funny - wish I had HP close to your numbers - would definitely be more fun. My car is getting there - I have a TCI front clip, subframe connected, had the 700R4 built to handle more power, and was thinking about a new motor - just got caught trying to save a few bucks on a used rear end - worked for a few years and didn't get hurt too bad, had about 500 in it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thug, not that often, it was a mild- just heavy on the gas car in drive scenario - no revs or power braking. Wouldn't be that aggressive with the kids in the car
Probably being a used unit with age and unknown how it was used prior owner played apart in it. Think Miles may have hit the nail on the head with the possible hairline cracks, could have been missed or not seen when I had the guy set up the 3:73. Do agree that it was stressed but was surprised by the damage. I could have it rebuilt - just not sure putting $ in the 8.2 is a good idea. Although rebuilding it would be less money. I really doubt the 327 is putting out over 270 hp
I agree. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the carrier broken. That was a casting defect or a crack through the pin hole. Usually people break the gears. But to crack the carrier like that is not by anything you did.

·
4,534 Posts
Like I said see the cracks very often on the original eaton posi units from back in the day. The cracks usually start at the corners of the windows and work their way inwards. They can be invisible to the naked eye buy if you spray brake or carb cleaner on the case it will dry from the crack outwards. Once you see where it's at you can then usually see the crack from certain angles. I see it mostly on 12 bolt truck eatons as they have 2 large windows so more stress to surface on the remaining case but do see it often enough on the 8.2 and 12 bolt car units. Good aftermarket units hold up much better as far as the cases go. I still recommend running the earlier steel clutches in the eatons over the new carbon fiber ones they come with.

Miles

·
Registered
485 Posts
If it didn't break any ring or pinion teeth in a major way(those little pieces chipped off the top tips of the teeth visible on the ring gear in the posted pic won't matter) then the gear set can be re-used, leaving you with just a clean-out of trash, getting a new carrier and carrier bearings and you'd be good to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts