Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at picking this up for my stock 8.2 10 bolt in my 66' Nova. The guy claims it came out of a 66' Chevelle but I just want to make sure it's what I'm looking for.

He said the numbers stamped on it are:

Part number: 2966076
C3 26 29
Letter 'A' inside a circle with a 3 below it.

I'm assuming this is a stock GM posi unit? Can someone shed some light to let me know if it's worth picking up? Is there anything I should know about this specific unit? Here are a few pics to help :)

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I think you need to add the price of the unit to what its gonna cost to rebuild it and you will probably find $375 for a new Eaton would be a better idea.
Cheapest I have found for an Eaton (8.5 anyways) is $425. Make sure you don't get fooled by the wording Eaton style is not the same as Eaton.

Cheapest I just saw for the 8.2 Eaton was $465

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I'm hoping to find a posi unit in the range of $200 or so. Then get a ring and pinion. I'm trying to see if I can get this all said and done for around $500. Could be possible?

That posi carrier seems a tad rough but then again I don't know if that's 'normal' looking for a carrier?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
You are correct, I should have not used "Eaton" in my previous post.
I only posted because I see on Ebay where they use the word "Eaton style" which can fool people into buying what they thought was Eaton. Cheaper price and more than likely cheaper made. Not knocking on your words which were fine, just exposing some of the sellers trying to fool people is all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only posted because I see on Ebay where they use the word "Eaton style" which can fool people into buying what they thought was Eaton. Cheaper price and more than likely cheaper made. Not knocking on your words which were fine, just exposing some of the sellers trying to fool people is all.
So is it safe to say the pic I posted is a GM oem carrier...which is an 'Eaton style' carrier?

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Yea, I'm hoping to find a posi unit in the range of $200 or so. Then get a ring and pinion. I'm trying to see if I can get this all said and done for around $500. Could be possible?

That posi carrier seems a tad rough but then again I don't know if that's 'normal' looking for a carrier?
If I were planning on keeping the car I would save and get a new one. I have been wanting to get one myself for 6 months or so. I got everything else(axles, support cover, ring and pinion kit, all bearings, and studs).

I wait as long as necessary and try to get the right stuff, especially if the ride is working with what it has in it for now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were planning on keeping the car I would save and get a new one. I have been wanting to get one myself for 6 months or so. I got everything else(axles, support cover, ring and pinion kit, all bearings, and studs).

I wait as long as necessary and try to get the right stuff, especially if the ride is working with what it has in it for now.
Yea, I totally agree with you. I'm not one to cut corners but just figured if I could save a buck on the carrier I'd consider that route. I have no problem buying used parts but I just don't know enough about these carrier to know if it's garbage or not. It doesn't seem there is much option as far as carriers go for the 8.2. Either I buy a new Eaton or find a used GM carrier.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It all depends on whats going on inside. I would hate to see you spend a bunch of money, install it, and have to take it all apart soon after. Thats not even taking into account if you have to pay someone to set the gears up for you.
Yea, I have a guy local that I use for my rear end gear installs etc. He's done a few of my cars and is reasonable. My plan was to find a good carrier and ring and pinion and have him install. It just seems that there is more mystery carriers floating around and buying new might be my only option :(

·
4,535 Posts
That unit you have is not a common one. All the internals even the clutches are discontinued and have been for decades. They are also prone to chattering very bad and no amount of additive will quiet them down. Best advice I can give is stay away from the tall spring posi units in general.

Miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts