Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at a crossroads trying to decide where to spend some money. My final product 350 should have 375-ish HP running through a 350 and 3.08 gears. Will the stock open diff take it or would I be better off swapping in a Eaton posi now? Reason Im asking is the posi money could go toward front disks and new brake reservoir and I want to rebuild the rear once. Now come to think of it, the 3.08s are another question since I plan on adding a 2004r within the next year. thinking maybe to go with some 3.36's with the 25.5 tall tire Ive got (225/60/15's)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Your set up is not that radical, I would just leave the rear unless it becomes and issue, A old issue of PHR had a nova with a 8.2 with 4.11 gears and a mini spool and it lived with a built 400 and th350. The diff betweem 3.08 and 3.36 is not great and a 200r4 trans will improve the ratios anyway, id upgade the brakes.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
your money your decision but i would do the posi so you can lay 2 tire fire and while you at it do the rear gears as well that way your not tearing into the rear twice to change everything you may want to look at stronger axles as well moser , strange , yukon, all offer better than stock axles just to be on the safe side i dont know though what do you plan on doing with the car is it goingto be a cruiser or are you gonna want to slap some slicks on it and take it down the 1320 :yes:

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
GM cars that came stock with 700R4's came with gear ratios as low as 2.73's and as high as 3.42 so 3.08 should be just fine. remember, a 700R4 has a lower first gear than a TH350 so those 3.08's will feel even better off the line than they do now.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Im at a crossroads trying to decide where to spend some money. My final product 350 should have 375-ish HP running through a 350 and 3.08 gears. Will the stock open diff take it or would I be better off swapping in a Eaton posi now? Reason Im asking is the posi money could go toward front disks and new brake reservoir and I want to rebuild the rear once. Now come to think of it, the 3.08s are another question since I plan on adding a 2004r within the next year. thinking maybe to go with some 3.36's with the 25.5 tall tire Ive got (225/60/15's)
Hey Buddy,
Safety first!do the brakes.You have a nice family...You need to keep them safe.Leave the 3.08's in there.Perfect for all the driving you do!later bm

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I agree, while it would be nice to have the posi rear end, the brakes are more important, trust me, I know. I put my Nova over a hill side a couple of years ago, the stock brakes just weren't adequate to stop the car when i got into a little tight spot. You'll feel much better driving the car when you KNOW it's going to stop when you press the pedal down. And with a 3.08 rear end, you really don't need an overdrive, but will work fine with them. JUst put the rear end in the car, and install a posi carrier later. You won't have to rebuild the entire rear end, and if you change nothing but the carrier, should be just a bolt in deal. Buy the posi, bolt your ring geat to it, install with the shims that are in there now, and check backlash, which should be fine and drive it, but after you have good brakes.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys

I mostly cruise the car. I already have some moser axles and a Richmond "mega" rebuild kit with all new bearings and everything. The rear is already the original 3.08s just thought I may drop a little to plan for the 200 later. I was mostly worried about that open diff holding together either way

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I ran 12's in my car with totally stock suspension and the open 3.36 (3.31?) 8.2 rear; never had a problem with the rear until I spent a bunch of cash on a posi and gears--then it broke twice in a short time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts