Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 8.2 10 bolt with a auburn limited slip differential with 3.73 gears and disk brake kit from perfomance online. I also have a stock ford 9'' with axles and disk brakes out of a lincoln verasailles. I just finished mini tubbing my car and i am comtenplating which rear axle to use? I plan on having a 383 with an estimated 450 hp if i choose to stick with the 10 bolt will it hold up? Im trying not spend a bunch of money, i understand if i build up the 9'' i wont ever have to worry about it. But i already spent a bunch of money on the 10 bolt. Im not trying to start over but if i have to sell the 10 bolt and start over with the 9" i will. Should i just get the 10bolt cut down to fit or just start over tje 9"?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What are you planning on doing with the car? Street, street strip?

I had a built 10 bolt in mine that held up really well. I was running mid 10s with slicks. It had stock axles, auburn posi, and an aftermarket cover from Jegs.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I built the 8.2 rearend in my last 71 with an Eaton posi, Richmond 3.73 gear, and stock axles. All this was behind a 406, turbo 350 w/3500 stall street-strip car. Hammered on it hard for 6 years a lot on the street and bunches of strip passes. It ran 11.60s on motor and never had a rearend issue. It would pull the tires an inch or two and did a 1.64-1.65 60' time.

I built the 8.5 in this 72 with another Eaton posi, 4.10 Richmonds, and 30 spline Moser axles.

So your 8.2 with descent parts will easily hold 500 hp. I wouldn't put it behind a standard trans. or an auto with a transbrake, but for a footbrake car I would again all day long as I know it works.

I did put a T/A support cover on the 8.2 and I have one to put on the 8.5 when I do a fluid change to it.

·
4,534 Posts
Is it 450 HP at the rear wheel or motor? HP wise the 8.2 can be built up to hold that kind of HP, may also want to add a set of new axles & a TA style cover. With the 9" If it's a stock verasailles diff it will be 2.47 gears non posi 28 spline. Also the disc brake parts can get quite pricey if they are bad or missing.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Jb

HP wise the 8.2 can be built up to hold that kind of HP, may also want to add a set of new axles & a TA style cover.
JB do you think these covers really help much?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. Im glad to here the 10 bolt will work. Im running a turbo 350 with a shift kit with the foot brake. It is going to be a street car mostly.

·
4,534 Posts
Yeah the covers really help. Under hard loads the main caps can flex and it lets the gears ride higher on the teeth and can break or even blow the main cap in half. The covers put a slight preload on the main caps to keep them from doing this.

Miles

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Sell both and build a dana60, even in stock form it's way stronger and cheaper in the long run.
And way heavier and way overkill. Never broke the 8.2 so I figure the 8.5 will do for a 10 or 11 second street car.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Normally I'd say go with the 9" and call it a good day. :yes:

However, those Versailles 9" rears are not all that great, in fact they're over-rated by novices. Hot Rodders like them because they're a 9" and they have disk brakes, that's as far as it goes. But Hot Rods generally don't have a lot of power and even if they do they are very light so they're not likely to tear up a weak rear end.

I say, seeing that you already have a rear end all done up already, have it narrowed and have the axle shafts shortened and re-splined. That would be the least expensive way out.

Then sell that Versailles rear end to the first rodder that gets all goo goo eyed over it.

·
Registered
407 Posts

my 8.2 has held up good and when i first got the car thats what eveyone(not referring to this sight) told me to change first. not that they were wrong, but rearends take a big chunk of change unless you do like me and just wait for that diamond in the ruff. Im still waiting tho lol also come to find out its a limited slip.:yes: which isnt what i expected. I do have my eyes on a trick flow cover and strange axles tho. Lucky for you, you already have disc breaks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts